Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL cert - generating CSR for sub-domain

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I have to get a wildcard SSL cert generated ASAP. The guy I work with who normally does this is away so I'm a bit lost. Also, this is our first wildcard SSL cert.

I understand we have to order from the same company, contact info etc. as previous certs - this is all OK.

The cert is for a new e-commerce section with a sub-domain used for the payments page e.g. 'secure.abcde.ie'. My question is do I generate a CSR for the main website - www.abcde.ie? Do I have to include details about all sub-domains or can these be covered by something like '*.abcde.ie'.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Generally you should get setup instructions when you buy the cert.
    You can buy it anywhere, you are not tied to the seller.
    Usually you will be generating "*.yourdomain.com" and then setting it up for each subdomain you need. But do, double-check with the company that issues cert directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

just out of curiosity, are there any fraud considerations to be made when thinking about buying these? I have recently set up an online classifieds website newryads.com and i've had 2 people trying to sell these.

i've never actually even considered reading up on these until I seen the 3 posts made by the customers all within a relatively short period of time. just wondering if the nature of their registrations are legit or not.

PP

paradisepaddy, generally, if you are storing your visitors personal information, it is a good idea to have it, as well as a privacy policy.
    SSL certs are pretty cheap to get now (you can get one for under €15/yr) but you will need a dedicated IP address for SSL cert and they are usually paid as well (€12-€30/yr).
    You can get your Privacy Policy autogenerated for under €15/yr.

Users become pretty concerned nowadays about the security of their personal data even if it is just the name and the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

VMotion wrote: »
    paradisepaddy, generally, if you are storing your visitors personal information, it is a good idea to have it, as well as a privacy policy.
    SSL certs are pretty cheap to get now (you can get one for under €15/yr) but you will need a dedicated IP address for SSL cert and they are usually paid as well (€12-€30/yr).
    You can get your Privacy Policy autogenerated for under €15/yr.

Users become pretty concerned nowadays about the security of their personal data even if it is just the name and the email.

thanks for the reply VMotion. Hmm. this is something i'll actually look into then in that case and get back to you if I have any questions if thats ok. :o

paradisepaddy, you are very welcome. I'll try to help you in any way I can ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement