Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys just wondering can you help me on this

Last night I picked up the gears of war 3 epic edu there at 12 o clock and after 2 mins I whent back and said can I return and get the cheaper one I was told to come back 1st thing in the morring

Ok I whent back to gamestop Waterford at 8.30 am to return the game to get the cheaper copy and the extra money back also I might add that the box was open already

Ok anyway the guy told me that I opened the guy and used everything in side of it (everything still has it platic on it) bar one box

He basically told me it was my fult for buying the game and you can deal with it and we near open a game to sell to you after the same guy told me you can
    return it

Where do I stand as I made a mistake in little over 2 mins they Sad bring it the morring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They are under no obligation to refund. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Even do the say to me they will got proof form the 2 guys I was with last night

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Why did you open it if you were going to return it?

I never opened it is was already

So to this I am in the wrong for something they did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why buy it and then want to change it 2 minutes later?

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Why buy it and then want to change it 2 minutes later?

Because I am a fool what else can it be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

they don't have an obligation to exchange something that isn't damaged or faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No reason for them to refund you.

You bought the epic edition, and as far as I know, they were pre order.

It sounds (to me) like you got the epic edition, saw what was inside, realised it wasn't worth the extra, and fancied the standard edition instead.

Your mistake, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The thing is, you are entitled to a refund for something that doesn't work or is faulty. You are NOT entitled to one because you changed your mind. This means from a legal perspective there is nothing you can do, and you are dependent on their good faith to do so. You could trade it in against the cheaper one, probably won't get the same value financially but its an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

All good observations so far, but it seems to me that the one possible issue for complaint is that the package wasn't factory sealed when it was purchased. If the guy that sold it to you agrees that was the case, then you should be entitled to some leeway in returning it - a sealed product that was opened by the shop might count as something not fit for purpose (if you were a collector, or wanted it to give it as a present, I suppose...). Other than that slim chance, you're probably out of luck.

If it's any consolation I'm sure we've all regretted buying 'deluxe' editions, and discovering that the extra tenner amounted to a few postcards and a lot of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Why was it open on launch night, and why would you buy it if you received it in such a state :confused:

I was on the phone to head office about it and the guy on the phone said i find it very hard to believe that it was opened it store the reason i did not cheek it was open because it was handed to me in black plastic bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was on the phone to head office about it and the guy on the phone said i find it very hard to believe that it was opened it store the reason i did not cheek it was open because it was handed to me in black plastic bag

And while this is not doubt very annoying for you, it ultimately is your own responsibility to check this. Once you leave the counter, the staff are not responsible for the condition of the product. It's up to you to ensure you have everything in order, and still this will come back down as having something something and simply wanting to change your mind as the game you bought is not faulty (I assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As per all the other responses, as the product is not faulty you have no rights to a refund.. anything they offer is goodwill..

The fact that the product may have been opened to me is somewhat of a smokes screen.. If the shop were going to replace the items based on that, they would be quiet within their rights to replace with the exact same Epic version and not the lower cost standard version.. If you don't want a pristine condition epic version, then does it really matter that the box had been opened?

The only way you will be getting the standard version is if the shop decide to offer a goodwill gesture..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Tordelback wrote: »
    If the guy that sold it to you agrees that was the case, then you should be entitled to some leeway in returning it - a sealed product that was opened by the shop might count as something not fit for purpose

Head office probably won't care what the original salesperson said as he's got no input in the returns policy. The product being opened has no bearing on it being fit for purpose.

I worked for a games retailer years ago when the GAA game came out on the playstation and we were told that we could not give refunds or do exchanges under any circumstances as they were expecting so many. Normally exchanges were not a problem. Could be a similar situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Item is not faulty, you changed your mind, you have no right to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

You wont get a cash refund, you may get credit back,short of that stick it up on Adverts for €10 less than it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

- a sealed product that was opened by the shop might count as something not fit for purpose (if you were a collector, or wanted it to give it as a present, I suppose...). .

The person being a collector or givign it as a present is of no concern to the shop or the manufacturer. It wouldnt be part of the fit for purpose conditions. The game works and everything thats meant to be in it is. Its fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

All good observations so far, but it seems to me that the one possible issue for complaint is that the package wasn't factory sealed when it was purchased. If the guy that sold it to you agrees that was the case, then you should be entitled to some leeway in returning it - a sealed product that was opened by the shop might count as something not fit for purpose (if you were a collector, or wanted it to give it as a present, I suppose...). Other than that slim chance, you're probably out of luck.

If it's any consolation I'm sure we've all regretted buying 'deluxe' editions, and discovering that the extra tenner amounted to a few postcards and a lot of cardboard.

Well if that was the case then half the games sold in bricks and mortar stores in this country would be eligable for return on this basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement