Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights Regarding - Pre Pay Hotels - Car Hire Etc

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi All - Most folk know when booking hotels , car hire and other items online cosniderable savings can sometimes be had when the full amount is paid for in advance.

My question is what are the consumers rights on this issue with regards getting a refund ? Yes most bookings will say "full deposit or advance payment is non refundable"

In my own experience I have been able get get refunds from some hotels and hertz in respect of these type of bookings ( normally when done well in advance so as the vendor has a chance to resell that room / rents that car) but this moring I was unable to get a refund from a hotel in Edinburgh (two weeks in advance - when I know from experience the will easily resell the room) as I am unsure if I can make it , so I ended up keeping the booking open - as If I has have cancelled they coulld have resold the room and got double bubble for one night!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When you book, you agree to a set of Terms & Conditions. If the booking states "non-refundable", then you will probably lose the money, unless the business is nice enough to relax the T&Cs.

You are not entitled to a refund if you just change your mind, or even if you can't attend for some reason. You accepted the T&Cs when you made the booking, therefore you are bound by them.

Advertisement