Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road deaths: Another record low year?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Victor wrote: »
    This is a metric that is pushed by the motor industry that has nothing to do with allievating the suffering of the dead, injured and their families.

Completely off topic.

Speed cameras catch people who may, or may not, be driving dangerously. The speed limit is a very blunt recommendation as to what is safe, exceeding it does not mean you are driving dangerously.

A much better system would be one where actual dangerous driving was detected, not just exceeding the limit.

The Speed Cameras are a very ineffective tool (they catch a very small percentage of actual dangerous drivers).

There are two regularly stationed on a small road close to me. They are there because of two fatal accidents in the past five years, neither of which were as a result of exceeding the speed limit.

The cameras are stationed, ironically, at the safest points in the road, the points where it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit, buy up to 50%, yet further down the road is is positively dangerous to drive even close to the posted speed limit. All these cameras will do is catch some drivers, while driving in a perfectly safe manner, and do very little to improve road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The speeding fine should be abolished and just penalty points given for speeding offenses. This will remove any doubt in motorists minds that they are just there to make money.

I think a quick look at the figures on the site linked in the thread opener should do that:

First half of 2011 there were 138,206 fixed charge notices for speeding. At €80 a pop, that's just €1.1 million. It's chicken feed.

No, I think the reason for fish-in-a-barrel speed trapping is not raising revenue, it's being Seen To Be Doing Something. "Look, speeding fines are up 100%! We're doing something, and deaths are dropping! It must be working! We must do more of it!"

I think a quick look at the figures on the site linked in the thread opener should do that:

First half of 2011 there were 138,206 fixed charge notices for speeding. At €80 a pop, that's just €1.1 million. It's chicken feed.

No, I think the reason for fish-in-a-barrel speed trapping is not raising revenue, it's being Seen To Be Doing Something. "Look, speeding fines are up 100%! We're doing something, and deaths are dropping! It must be working! We must do more of it!"

One can only speculate how few of those 138,206 "offenders" would have gone on to have a crash, if it wasn't for the speed trap?

Very few.

Of course, if it saved even one life it can be justified but it is grossly inefficient.

And, 138,206 at €80 a pop is €11,056,480, not an insignificant amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

...First half of 2011 there were 138,206 fixed charge notices for speeding. At €80 a pop, that's just €1.1 million. It's chicken feed...

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gophur wrote: »
    In the grand scheme, €11m is nothing tbh. Since the money goes straight back to the exchequer, and the roads bill is €12bn, the money brought in by speeding fines accounts for less than 0.1% of the money in that area.

It's why the claims of "money generation" have no foundation. They would need to have the Traffic Corps doing nothing but speed checks to bring in a significant amount of money.

• Advertisement

Whoops, my bad!

Still not a big revenue source, and never will be.

seamus wrote: »
    In the grand scheme, €11m is nothing tbh. Since the money goes straight back to the exchequer, and the roads bill is €12bn, the money brought in by speeding fines accounts for less than 0.1% of the money in that area.

It's why the claims of "money generation" have no foundation. They would need to have the Traffic Corps doing nothing but speed checks to bring in a significant amount of money.

Take the costs of collection and the money to be paid to McAuliffe (the owner of the private vans) and you have, maybe, 20% of the budget of the RSA.

Actuarial estimates calculate the cost of each road fatality at €2m, that's taking into account all the costs involved with the personnel at the time of the fatality and the loss to the State of the earnings of that person over his/her lifetime. It's a rough calculation, but it's out there.

Speed Cameras are not there for revenue generation, they are there for PR, they are there to allow the authorities say they are doing something and, in a small fraction of cases, they actually work in preventing an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Why do I need to "support" my statement. I am against speed cameras being used to raise any revenue.
    I am against law-abiding drivers having to pay for the operation of speed cameras. It is quite fair that law breakers should bear the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Completely off topic.
    Perhaps you should raise that with IST.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Drink driving. Driving while tired. Driving too fast on backroads, meeting the unexpected, losing control, hitting a tree, pole, bridge. Typical inexperienced, overconfident young fella stuff.

And before anyone takes offence, I was a young man once myself, and did most of those things, but lived.

I see no reason to bring suicide into it. Smashing up your car seems a very unreliable way to kill yourself to me (short of going over the Cliffs of Moher), and far too likely to end up with the driver just really, really badly injured.

But maybe there is some reason to suppose I'm wrong?

When I was 18 I was on edge of suicide. Two options were in my head: knife or smash with my car in to a brick wall. I almost did it.

Once we had a big fight in a car with my mother, she was so pissed off so she went in to oncoming traffic at 120km/h and a big truck in front, then said: we will end it here and now. My Answer was: have fun, I am ready anyway. She chickened out last few seconds. After few days I ran away from home and newer sow here again, 7 years now. I couldn't be happier where I am now, with who I am now, and what I do in life.

Ireland has a huge problem with suicide. I can bet my balls on this: alot of young males have suicides in cars. You are wrong not to consider suicide as a big factor. Been there done that. If you need prove, I am your prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

When I was 18 I was on edge of suicide. Two options were in my head: knife or smash with my car in to a brick wall. I almost did it.

Once we had a big fight in a car with my mother, she was so pissed off so she went in to oncoming traffic at 120km/h and a big truck in front, then said: we will end it here and now. My Answer was: have fun, I am ready anyway. She chickened out last few seconds. After few days I ran away from home and newer sow here again, 7 years now. I couldn't be happier where I am now, with who I am now, and what I do in life.

Ireland has a huge problem with suicide. I can bet my balls on this: alot of young males have suicides in cars. You are wrong not to consider suicide as a big factor. Been there done that. If you need prove, I am your prove.

Bit off topic.. but I have extreme respect for what you have achieved.

I find the bullies/racism in this society can drive anyone to despair (from my own experience..) Faster you get out of secondary school, the better.

However, I think suicide is a very selfish thing to do that only leaves the people you leave behind to deal with the suffering and pain. Seeing the bad relationship you had with your mother I think I would understand you better, seeing I can't say the same for myself. Of course you could look at it from the point of view that you are suffering every day of your life anyway, and want to "pass the buck" so to speak.

Very brave all in all for getting on with it and well done!

alot of young males have suicides in cars.

Well done to you for getting to a better place!

I don't know how big the suicide-by-car figure is, and I started this thread skeptical at the idea that it's a big number, but that report I linked to earlier from the National Office for Suicide Prevention entirely ignores it. This seems to suggest that the official number of suicides-by-car is zero, and that no-one is looking at tackling it as a kind of suicide rather than a kind of road accident.

Big or small, I think we can agree that the number is not zero.

Well done to you for getting to a better place!

I don't know how big the suicide-by-car figure is, and I started this thread skeptical at the idea that it's a big number, but that report I linked to earlier from the National Office for Suicide Prevention entirely ignores it. This seems to suggest that the official number of suicides-by-car is zero, and that no-one is looking at tackling it as a kind of suicide rather than a kind of road accident.

Big or small, I think we can agree that the number is not zero.

Official number? I did not had a note ready in my car when I wanted to do it, I bet lots of young lads didn't too. So I presume if there are no suicide notes, it's not good enough for them m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Official number? I did not had a note ready in my car when I wanted to do it, I bet lots of young lads didn't too. So I presume if there are no suicide notes, it's not good enough for them m8.
    And IMO, emergency services will never classify a car-suicide as a suicide unless they're 100% sure. There are other valid explanations for serious accidents such as falling asleep at the wheel or just plain old human error, so you would never chalk it down as suicide unless you were sure. A suicide verdict usually compounds the suffering of the family.

Fair play to you SH, you've clearly turned your life around. But if the incident with your mother had taken place, it would have declared an accident caused by poor overtaking or "driving on the wrong side of the road", but not a suicide.

And IMO, emergency services will never classify a car-suicide as a suicide unless they're 100% sure. There are other valid explanations for serious accidents such as falling asleep at the wheel or just plain old human error, so you would never chalk it down as suicide unless you were sure. A suicide verdict usually compounds the suffering of the family.

Fair play to you SH, you've clearly turned your life around. But if the incident with your mother had taken place, it would have declared an accident caused by poor overtaking or "driving on the wrong side of the road", but not a suicide.

You perfectly pointed that out:

In both situation no one would even think that it would be suicide, but in statistics it would go as car accsidets because:

A) young fella was **** driver and was going to fast.
    B) error by female driver when overtaking or drivers error.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

However, I think suicide is a very selfish thing to do that only leaves the people you leave behind to deal with the suffering and pain.
    That is an unfair comment. People who commit suicide are either seriously ill or are in desperate situations.
    And IMO, emergency services will never classify a car-suicide as a suicide unless they're 100% sure.
    Strictly speaking thats the coroner's job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yikes what a thread
    The most stupid thing I used to do on the roads was work long night shifts, hang around town for a while and then drive home.
    So, so close to falling asleep at the wheel a few times, a pure liability on the roads

Yet if I crashed the locals would be chattering and calling a single vehicle, young male accident a possible suicide?

It's a factor alright and it happens but that's for the coroner to decide.
    Idle talk does families no good at all and I'm not saying here on boards but it's just something I'd never talk about with locals

And well done to you ShadowHearth

Advertisement