Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator for .22LR

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am looking around for my first rifle and see a lot with sound moderators. My question in regards to this is it difficult to get a license for a rifle with a moderator and how does one go about.

Someone told me to buy the gun first and then apply for the moderator. I would rather do all in one go if possible.

Do you have to send a seperate letter with you application. What are the main reason people give (beside not to disturb neighbours etc)

Last of all is there much point in putting one on a .22Lr.

Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

When you are applying for the license you have to tick the box for the silencer and it gets put on your license so you are entitled to carry one. They may ask you for a reason why you want it. If you are not a member of a licensed rifle club and wont be target shooting then don't say that's why you want it. Say its to keep the noise down when you are shooting vermin. If you say you want it because you'll be shooting targets then the super can ask for proof of your membership to the club. I know lads that don't have the "S" on their license yet you can still buy one no problem, but if stopped by the Guards you can run into alot of trouble. Better to be safe than sorry, Just tick the box for a silencer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Hi folks,
    I am looking around for my first rifle and see a lot with sound moderators. My question in regards to this is it difficult to get a license for a rifle with a moderator and how does one go about.

Someone told me to buy the gun first and then apply for the moderator. I would rather do all in one go if possible.

Do you have to send a seperate letter with you application. What are the main reason people give (beside not to disturb neighbours etc)

Thanks
    Peter
    Just write up a small letter with your application explaining why you need it e.g. noise pollution, scaring livestock , health and safety grounds etc. You shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Hi folks,

Thanks
    Peter

Depends a lot on the the super in your area but i would apply for the rifle & moderator in the one application.
    My reason for needing a mod on the .22lr was i was using the rifle near livestock (horses), i just wrote this on the actual application but it might be better to put it on a separate page.
    Mine was granted for the above reason for both my .22 & .223

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

Hi guys thanks for your help

Advertisement