Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost key to BMW E36

• 20-09-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

In a drunken stupor I lost my only key. Does anybody have any advice (PM or otherwise) as to where to go. I'm Dublin based. Do I just have to bit the bullet and go to a BMW dealer and pay through the nose for a new ignition, locks etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was it just a key or did it have immobiliser, buttons etc?
    Prob a dealer with the VIN and proof of purchase etc but that's just a guess.
    Splash out on a second key this time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Just the key and as far as I know there was no chip in it, I had a CL remote but never used it just locked it with the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

when i bought my e36 about 4yrs ago i paid €105 from main dealer for new key and all it does is open and lock the doors. my car only came with one key . but my old fob always worked and still does , is your a little black box seperate to the key like mine ?
    yea use your car reg' cert and the main dealer will have it in a few days .
    or google a search must be some one in the uk doing keys by post for 30 40 pounds , i found them on line after i got mine . but that was 4 yrs ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Where and when broadly did you lose it? I may have found your key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭deandean

Go to a main dealer with the car registration document, photo ID and (optional) samples of two body fluids. They can get you a new key based on the chassis number. About 200 Euro for a RCL key, and about 70 for a basic key. Per other post - get two while you're there! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danieldaniel

Thanks for the information! This site is very nice.

AmberAmber wrote: »
    when i bought my e36 about 4yrs ago i paid €105 from main dealer for new key and all it does is open and lock the doors. my car only came with one key . but my old fob always worked and still does , is your a little black box seperate to the key like mine ?
    yea use your car reg' cert and the main dealer will have it in a few days .
    or google a search must be some one in the uk doing keys by post for 30 40 pounds , i found them on line after i got mine . but that was 4 yrs ago.

Exactly, the remote is separate to the key, I just kept the remote at home.

€105 seems cheap, I mean I would need to get new ignition/locks n all.

deandean wrote: »
    Go to a main dealer with the car registration document, photo ID and (optional) samples of two body fluids. They can get you a new key based on the chassis number. About 200 Euro for a RCL key, and about 70 for a basic key. Per other post - get two while you're there! Best of luck.

cheers are you saying they can make up the key from the vehicle ID nos and that I wont have to get new locks fitted? That would be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deandean wrote: »
    McCrack wrote: »
    cheers are you saying they can make up the key from the vehicle ID nos and that I wont have to get new locks fitted? That would be grand.

Yep that's what he is saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I got a BMW key made up for a 99 E36 from Frank Keanes. Think it cost about 12 euro. It wasnt a remote central locking key, but I could open the door and start the engine, so that was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

ottostreet wrote: »
    I got a BMW key made up for a 99 E36 from Frank Keanes. Think it cost about 12 euro. It wasnt a remote central locking key, but I could open the door and start the engine, so that was fine.

Wow no i am jellous !! 12 euro is dam good money , where is Frank keans ???? i would get another key for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

AmberAmber wrote: »
    Wow no i am jellous !! 12 euro is dam good money , where is Frank keans ???? i would get another key for that money.

On the Naas Road out of Dublin. BMW Dealer. I just went in with ID and my logbook and asked for a key to be made. Few days later, it arrived from Germany. Worked perfectly, and I was very surprised by the price.

Advertisement