Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifier

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Thinking about buying a dehumidifier as its very hard to dry clothes in our apartment.

But they are very expensive and i've no idea if it will even work. Maybe buy one secondhand or rent one out to try it.

Any ideas would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Bought one a few years ago as we had a condensation problem. Cost about e350 but it did the trick. Is good at drawing the excess moisture out of the air and clothes. It has a tank with automatic cutout when near full so we used to leave it on all night as it wasn't noisy. They have come down a lot in price and you should be able to get a decent one for about 150. Also can take a hose attachment to have the water exited to the outdoors. I find it economical to use

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Where did you buy your dehumidifier? I really need to buy one cos my house is very well insulated but this has caused a LOT of condensation!!

Power City but most electrical retailers would stock them, DID, Argos etc. maybe Homebase / Woodies

Harvey Norman only seem to have one model

Argos.ie have a good few different ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I bought a DeLonghi one in Argos in 2009, not a moment's bother with it. We only use it from approx Nov to March. We dry our clothes in the warmest room in the house with this running overnight, usually draws .5 to 1l of water out of the air and the clothes are practically bone dry in the morning.

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    I bought a DeLonghi one in Argos in 2009, not a moment's bother with it. We only use it from approx Nov to March. We dry our clothes in the warmest room in the house with this running overnight, usually draws .5 to 1l of water out of the air and the clothes are practically bone dry in the morning.

Wow that sounds brilliant. I dry a lot of clothes in the house as I don't have a dryer and my husband goes nuts when I put clothes on the radiators!! Drying the clothes with the help of the dehumidifier sounds ideal. Thanks so much for all the help people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Yakuza wrote: »

Would u agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I estimate it uses about 3kwh of electricity in an 8-hour run, so it's not that bad. We only use it during the winter months. A necessary evil otherwise the house would be overrun with clothes taking over a day to dry (3 young kids = pretty much a full washer load most days). With the dehumidifer, they're dry by morning (mostly) and the clothes horses aren't taking up room in the house for days at an end.

I'm the same 4 kids plus husband and me so PILES of washing all the time which means windows streaming with condensation. Heading out to buy a dehumidifier tomorrow and REALLY hope it helps with the condensation. Fingers crossed. I know it will push my electricity bill up a bit but as Yukuza says a necessary evil!

So I invested in a Dimplex dehumidifier from Power City for €229 and turned it on yesterday afternoon and am SO SO happy with it. I can't believe the amount of water in the tank. Put it in the bathroom after my son had a shower and where usually the walls would be running with condensation the dehumidifier removed ALL of it. Left it on overnight in the room where I hang the washing and there was NO condensation on the windows AND the clothes were almost dry. I am honestly delighted with it. It's not too bulky and the noise from it is grand. It hums like white noise so you don't even notice it after a while. I may not be so happy when I get my electricity bill but I'm solving my damp problem.... I hope! Thanks for all your help boardies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

et101 wrote: »
    So I invested in a Dimplex dehumidifier ... I may not be so happy when I get my electricity bill but I'm solving my damp problem

I wonder would you please reply back when you do get your electricy bill and let us know what you think it cost in electricty and how often you used it,

I'm thinking of buying one too but I'm worried about the additional cost in ESB bill

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oceanblue

Hi

About the electricity usage..

I have the 10 litre dimplex dehumidifer. It has a label that says it uses 250 watts. I checked it with an electricity meter and it seems to use half of that, so approx 125 watts per hour. I do notice my dehumidifer seems to go into defrost mode a lot of the time(even when the room is quite warm) so maybe that's the reason for it being less.

If you ask I'd guess the shop would be able to tell you the amount of electricity a particular dehumidifer uses per hour as it's probably listed on the box or somewhere.

I find it great for drying clothes overnight as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

oceanblue wrote: »
    Hi

About the electricity usage..

I have the 10 litre dimplex dehumidifer. It has a label that says it uses 250 watts. I checked it with an electricity meter and it seems to use half of that, so approx 125 watts per hour. I do notice my dehumidifer seems to go into defrost mode a lot of the time(even when the room is quite warm) so maybe that's the reason for it being less.

If you ask I'd guess the shop would be able to tell you the amount of electricity a particular dehumidifer uses per hour as it's probably listed on the box or somewhere.

I find it great for drying clothes overnight as well.

Thanks.

Didn't find it expensive to run at all. :D

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I wonder would you please reply back when you do get your electricy bill and let us know what you think it cost in electricty and how often you used it,

I'm thinking of buying one too but I'm worried about the additional cost in ESB bill

Will do and I just hope the bill isn't too shocking!! ;)

dickwod1 wrote: »

Will do just hope the bill isn't too shocking!! But it is working REALLY well in relieving the condensation and it drys the clothes too which is fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

got one of these a few days ago, http://www.dwyers.ie/Khol-2.4-Litre-Compact-Dehumidifier/DH10L/ find it very good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

so , what was running costs like?

Advertisement