Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Doctor, Doctor's note.

Options
  • 20-09-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

Woke up yesterday with what I thought was a severe cold, managed to perservere, made it into college today, and my 10am lecture, but am feeling horrific, shivery, achy and dizzy, so think I might be getting the flu. I now have a four hour gap until my next class, (seminar), which makes things worse. I was wondering, if I went to the UCD doctor/nurse, would they be able to give me a doctor's note? As I get percentage for seminars etc. Or will they give me more uni-flu, a smack on the bum and send me on my merry way? Also I have a two hour commute home, in case anyone was wondering why I don't head home to rest up. Really not feeling well at all, but don't want to lose the marks. Also can't afford the 50+ my own GP charges.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Wilde wrote: »
    Hi all,

Woke up yesterday with what I thought was a severe cold, managed to perservere, made it into college today, and my 10am lecture, but am feeling horrific, shivery, achy and dizzy, so think I might be getting the flu. I now have a four hour gap until my next class, (seminar), which makes things worse. I was wondering, if I went to the UCD doctor/nurse, would they be able to give me a doctor's note? As I get percentage for seminars etc. Or will they give me more uni-flu, a smack on the bum and send me on my merry way? Also I have a two hour commute home, in case anyone was wondering why I don't head home to rest up. Really not feeling well at all, but don't want to lose the marks. Also can't afford the 50+ my own GP charges.

Thanks in advance.

If you can go straight to the lecturer doing the seminar and tell them what's up, chances are they'll be understanding and not penalise you.

Similar thing happened to me before, was sick and couldn't make it out of bed, I sent them an email about an hour before a lab was about to start. The lecturer got back to me the next day and said not to worry, that the marks would be distributed over the rest of the labs for me. Generally lecturers/staff are decent people and are aware that we all get sick from time to time and, if you make the effort to tell them, they are understanding.

Feel better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Went to the UCD medical center myself once, when I was very sick. I asked the nurse, could I have a doctors note to compensate for missing some of the language classes I couldn't make it to. She said that I couldn't see the doctor until I made an appointment, and then there would be a waiting list. Also that I couldn't miss lectures because I was clearly fine.

Went home that weekend and was ferried straight to doctor-on-call, was told I had severed tonsillitis and bronchitis, temperature etc. Was given a doctors note with the express concern that I was not to go to college for a week and should have been seen by a doctor sooner.

So based on that, just email a lecturer, and tell them you are going to be seen by a doctor, and make an appointment off-campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's some fail on that nurse's behalf. I've been in twice, both times the nurse took one look at me and sent me in to the doctor - you can get in without an appointment with a referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

OSI wrote: »
    They will, but you also have to pay the UCD GP, which is €25.

:eek:

It was free when I started 10 years ago, and the student charge was about 20 quid. Now it's 2k and you're saying we have to pay extra then for the actual services that should be included in that charge?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeap. If you find it objectionable, please convey your displeasure to Gary Redmond, presently the president of USI, who okayed the change (in breach of SU mandate) during the summer preceeding his presidency of the UCDSU. president@usi.ie should reach him.

Alternatively, you could could complain to your class rep, or the welfare officer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

And who is the "Student Health Charges Administrator"? None other than former Welfare officer Viv Rath. Some principles there...

In fairness, extra money has to come from somewhere and I'm sure the people here would not like to be the ones making decisons on financial matters in the college. You can't just pick on one guy on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

In fairness, extra money has to come from somewhere and I'm sure the people here would not like to be the ones making decisons on financial matters in the college. You can't just pick on one guy on a public forum.

In fairness, we're already paying up to €2k every year for student services. Now we find that student services will not include access to a gym and a 50 metre pool, but not access to a doctor? Ridiculous. Getting to see the lovely girls of UCD in their swimsuits while getting in a few laps might be a nice way to spend a few hours, but it's hardly essential; getting to see a doctor is.

Einhard wrote: »
    In fairness, we're already paying up to €2k every year for student services. Now we find that student services will not include access to a gym and a 50 metre pool, but not access to a doctor? Ridiculous. Getting to see the lovely girls of UCD in their swimsuits while getting in a few laps might be a nice way to spend a few hours, but it's hardly essential; getting to see a doctor is.

It wasn't "free", students have been paying a student centre levy for many, many years to build the new gym/student centre.

The arguments in favour of fees far outweigh those against fees.

Anyway, my point remains, people hear are bleating on about this and that despite knowing very little about how and why decisions were made. Somebody singling out one employee and questioning his principles is just wrong in my view.

Really? You wouldn't see a Pro-Life campaigner working in an abortion clinic as hypocritical no?

The guy ran for office and was elected for his proclaimed interest in student welfare. And now he is administrating a policy that flies in the face of the principles he was elected on.

That is a ridiculous comparison, I'm not even getting into that comparison.

Last time I checked the definition of student welfare does not equal free medical centre. I am not going to get bogged down into defending him, but I'll just say a few points:

- Somebody that runs for student election is not bound in any future job that they take to anything they said as a student
    - Welfare relates to far, far more than the medical centre.
    - The service does still exist and is much cheaper than doctors outside campus.
    - There are also arrangements in place for students that genuinely cannot afford the fee
    - Viv Rath is just one man in a massive organisation. I am sure there are many people in UCD that do not like many of the rules they are paid to uphold. It is also extremely unfair to single a man out that is simply doing his job. Unless you can prove he personally planned and approved the change in the health centre, it is nonsense to single him out on here. You will have a job when you leave college and I'm sure you wouldn't want some goon on Boards singling you out for something you have no control over.
    - The University is severely in debt and corners are being cut everywhere. Something has to give and unfortunately it was the medical service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be fair, 20-25 euro is pretty decent for a doctor. If you're genuinely sick I hardly think it's overly expensive. My local GP used to charge 55-60 :eek:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement