Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Kindle e-Books from Ireland

Options
  • 20-09-2011 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to buy a Kindle for my girlfriend but whats the story with buying e-Books? She only has a laser card, can she buy e-Books with laser, or can she sign up without a card and just apply gift cards to her account to buy e-Books?

Go raibh maith agat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

In order to buy ebooks, you will need a credit card. My guess would be the best thing is to get one of those prepaid credit cards and top them up and then use them.

You need to put a credit card on your Amazon account. They won't accept laser cards as it isn't an Irish site.

I am not sure about the gift card idea. I have always just paid with my visa card. Is there a way for her to get a Visa debit card instead with her bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou1985

Hey, i've seen on other threads that books are hard to buy from Irish Kindles (i.e. bought in Ireland) ?

Could either of you shed any light on this? Have you ever had any trouble with this?

Thanks for your help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wheezy

I have used Kindle for PC for several years, it's an excellent way to have old, classics to hand, many of them are free. Yes it is true you cannot use Laser, but many banks are changing to visa debit which you can use. My only gripe is that as a user registered, or using a non UK based connection you cannot buy books from Amazon.co.uk only from the dot com site. This means the books are American this my seem a small issue but might limit choices if you are a fan of authors who have not crossed the Atlantic.
    Hope this helps
    Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou1985

Thanks wheezy, much appreciated. Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

There is a site - directebooks.com
    I think it's Irish and it accepts laser cards. I'm not sure if it works with Kindle specifically but I am just trying it out to download some books for my Sony Reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

jesso22 wrote: »
    There is a site - directebooks.com
    I think it's Irish and it accepts laser cards. I'm not sure if it works with Kindle specifically but I am just trying it out to download some books for my Sony Reader.

only one post - any vested interest ? - or am I too untrusting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

It worked, I bought a book of baby names and uploaded them successfully onto my ereader. The only thing was that you had to download adobe software which was annoying and took a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

You are not limited in buying eBooks from Amazon at all. You can buy from any other eBook eRetailer such as Smashwords.com where you can use a Paypal account. You can then side load to the Kindle using apps like Calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I've downloaded ebooks from lots of sites, you're not restricted to Amazon (I've also purchased ebooks from (Amazon.co.uk as well as the US site)

Would you not purchase one of the prepaid credit cards? I have the o2 money card and find that great.

Advertisement