Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a Car from Cyprus

• 20-09-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I am looking to return to Ireland from Cyprus and bring my 1996 Toyota Curren with me. The car is fully owned by me with no outstanding loans on it and is a 1996 Model. Can anyone tell me how much VRT i would have to pay for a 1996 Toyota and as it was MOT'd here in Cyprus would i have to get the car NCT'd?. Car is 2 litre and the reason for wanting to ship it back is that i wont be able to afford a car when i come back so i thought to ship this one back until i can buy newer car plus i know this car and have had it serviced reguarly.

any info would be great thank you

UN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi,

I am looking to return to Ireland from Cyprus and bring my 1996 Toyota Curren with me. The car is fully owned by me with no outstanding loans on it and is a 1996 Model. Can anyone tell me how much VRT i would have to pay for a 1996 Toyota and as it was MOT'd here in Cyprus would i have to get the car NCT'd?. Car is 2 litre and the reason for wanting to ship it back is that i wont be able to afford a car when i come back so i thought to ship this one back until i can buy newer car plus i know this car and have had it serviced reguarly.

any info would be great thank you

UN

From having an uncle in the UN for years ( who has since passed on ) this is a pretty common thing to be done by UN lads and even Gardai. I'd ask about out there personally.

You can calculate the VRT though through the revenue website. Search for the VRT thread for all of the links.

Cant see you being hit with much tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

surely since its your car, and it's within EU, then there's no VRT for bringing it with you. That's assuming you're not listed as tax resident here, cos that might confuse matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I think it might work out more expensive to bring that in than it would be pick up a cheap car here to get you by for a year (if you are primarily looking at the cheapest option).

You will have to NCT it so that will cost and then you might have to add VRT (depending on whether you qualify for an exemption, either way it wouldnt be much on that car but still). Then you will have to get it here in the first place which might cost you too.

You will also have to factor in tax for a two litre and insurance on a two litre (do you have any no claims bonus?).

Then resale value will be low when you come to sell i would think so all in all I would do my sums and compare whats best. Your option is to sell that out there and then pick up a stop gap car here with NCT and if possible tax that will get you by until you can afford a more permanent solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

Beast of a car too by the looks of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

That will be harder to insure here than a regular "irish" model. Plus the road tax will be few hundred euro for even 3 months...

How much is it worth in Cyprus?

...*might* be cheaper to buy a Celcia when you get here? Or any old yoke till you get a new motor - see the bangernomics thread.

*I may have re-said what others said as I can't type as quick!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Bogger77 wrote: »
    surely since its your car, and it's within EU, then there's no VRT for bringing it with you. That's assuming you're not listed as tax resident here, cos that might confuse matters

+1

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

Although there is a note about Cyprus in Appendix 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 UN Ops Cyprus

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info, ya it might be better if i off load it here, was really only shipping it for two reasons,

1. i know the maintainance history so car is good to go
    2. keep me going for a year until i buy a new one

Living in CY for nearly 5 years but not in the UN or part of the Gardai here. did consider the high insurance and road tax and i thought it would be better then buying a car there and then having to pay road tax and insurance on top of that.

thanks UN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

R.O.R wrote: »
    +1

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

Although there is a note about Cyprus in Appendix 1.
    refers to Northern Cyprus, the Turkish part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

OP why not contact revenue and actually ask them what the story will be re importing it rather than basing your decision on speculation on here?

That makes a lot more sense (to me anyhow).

Advertisement