Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Open Day - Saturday 24 Sept, 2:30 - 5:30

Options
  • 20-09-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

There is an Open Day at Blanchardstown Garda Station on Saturday 24 September between 2:30pm and 5:30pm.

The Garda Ban will be performing a live concert along with displays from Local Garda and National Units.

It will have Garda vehicles, vintage and current, Garda Mounted Unit, Community Policing, Traffic Unit, Sub Aqua Unit, Dog Unit.

There will be tours of the station, children's entertainment and face painting.

Also, Coolmine TC Farmers' Market will have stalls and displays outside the Garda station.

All members of the public welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I see down in the Kerry forum that TRALEE are having their open-day on Saturday 24th also from 3-5pm

If anybody is heading home for the weekend, sur why not call in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Is the road around the station going to be closed off too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Great day for certain people to get away with certain things..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Jasus last thing I need is another tour of that station :o spose i wont have the cuffs on ......might pop along say hi to some of the old faces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is the road around the station going to be closed off too?
    I doubt it, because it is a crucial access point to Blanchardstown village.

I guess that much of the stuff will be in the car park *behind* the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

daymobrew wrote: »
    I doubt it, because it is a crucial access point to Blanchardstown village.

I guess that much of the stuff will be in the car park *behind* the station.
    well, I was wrong - they did close the road.
    I was impressed with the whole setup. Will post more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

I went out to Blanchardstown shopping center today.Got caught by the Police closing a crucial access road.I was furious.I think it was outrageous that they could deliberately cause such traffic pandemonium.They made few friends today.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Well done to the Gardai for that ... Great atmosphere and good sense of fun for all. And they showed remarkable patience with all the children (and the adults too!) running around and in and out of boats, cars, on and off bikes and in and out of cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Im only finished a job there, we put up all the new railings, the new walls and a new compound at the back and all that. Anyone got any pictures

richardjjd wrote: »
    Well done to the Gardai for that ... Great atmosphere and good sense of fun for all. And they showed remarkable patience with all the children (and the adults too!) running around and in and out of boats, cars, on and off bikes and in and out of cells.

Sounds like great fun!

Anyone got pics they could put up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Here's the fire brigade doing a demo cutting the roof off a car and the mounted unit in the background. Didn't take any other photos though.

Random wrote: »
    Here's the fire brigade doing a demo cutting the roof off a car and the mounted unit in the background. Didn't take any other photos though.

Wish I had gone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

We spent a really lovely afternoon around the Garda Station. There was such a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere about the place.

The kids got to pet Conn and Déaglán (the horses), sit on garda motorbikes, sit in a Model T Ford and blow the horn, explore the garda rescue boat, investigate the mobile unit, be handcuffed and photographed with a garda, sit in the fire engine, sit and listen to/ dance to the music of the garda band, be photographed with the riot police in uniform, turn on the siren in the garda car, watch the Mulhuddart Twirlettes in action and finally watch the fire brigade demonstrate how they could cut a car to rescue a trapped person.

All good humoured, great fun! And everyone received free hi-vis adult vests!

Hope they do it all again next year. If so, we'll definitely be there again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Chocolate wrote: »
    We spent a really lovely afternoon around the Garda Station. There was such a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere about the place.

The kids got to pet Conn and Déaglán (the horses), sit on garda motorbikes, sit in a Model T Ford and blow the horn, explore the garda rescue boat, investigate the mobile unit, be handcuffed and photographed with a garda, sit in the fire engine, sit and listen to/ dance to the music of the garda band, be photographed with the riot police in uniform, turn on the siren in the garda car, watch the Mulhuddart Twirlettes in action and finally watch the fire brigade demonstrate how they could cut a car to rescue a trapped person.

All good humoured, great fun! And everyone received free hi-vis adult vests!

Hope they do it all again next year. If so, we'll definitely be there again!

Sounds great!

Free hi vis vest :) Excellent!

I'll go next year for definite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My parents went down with my nephew an said they had a great time.

Nephew had a great time.

I didn't have great time because the Police decided to close a road which caused traffic mayhem.I had a small child with me and this Police PR exercise caused us an extra hour in traffic jams.I'll never go Blanchardstown again.:mad:

todolist wrote: »
    I went out to Blanchardstown shopping center today.Got caught by the Police closing a crucial access road.I was furious.I think it was outrageous that they could deliberately cause such traffic pandemonium.They made few friends today.

It is not the ONLY route available to you so it wouldnt really be classed as "crucial".

One day, a couple of hours, a great day out. And you've lived to tell the tale.
    Let it go!

.I'll never go Blanchardstown again.:mad:

A tad dramatic in response to having to take a different route no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Biggles1980

I didn't have great time because the Police decided to close a road which caused traffic mayhem.I had a small child with me and this Police PR exercise caused us an extra hour in traffic jams.I'll never go Blanchardstown again.:mad:

Who's a moaning Michael then!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I had 3 small children with me. Maybe you should have brought your small child into the garda station to enjoy the fun. It was great!

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time (or something like that).

• Advertisement

This open day didn't necessitate closing a road.I knew nothing about it in advance so i was caught up it the dreadful traffic snarl up.The Police can have their PR day but don't impinge on other people going about their business.

This open day didn't necessitate closing a road.I knew nothing about it in advance so i was caught up it the dreadful traffic snarl up.The Police can have their PR day but don't impinge on other people going about their business.

But they didn't :confused:

There were other routes you could have taken. Turn offs are just before the station....like even if you drove right up the station.

Where were you coming from and going to :confused:

amdublin wrote: »
    But they didn't :confused:

There were other routes you could have taken. Turn offs are just before the station....like even if you drove right up the station.

Where were you coming from and going to :confused:
    Forget about what roads i could have or couldn't have taken.I was stuck in unnecessary jams that caused me to spend an extra hour getting in and out of blanchardstown.Your friends can have their open day anytime they like but don't close off a road that causes great inconvenience to others.As I said before,I spend an extra hour on my journey thanks to this open day.It was a warm humid day,I had a 4 year old toddler who was cranky and irritable.It was a horrible day.It wasn't necessary to do this.Only in Ireland could you put on a PR Show for one set of people and at the same time inconvenience and annoy another section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Forget about what roads i could have or couldn't have taken.I was stuck in unnecessary jams that caused me to spend an extra hour getting in and out of blanchardstown.Your friends can have their open day anytime they like but don't close off a road that causes great inconvenience to others.As I said before,I spend an extra hour on my journey thanks to this open day.It was a warm humid day,I had a 4 year old toddler who was cranky and irritable.It was a horrible day.It wasn't necessary to do this.Only in Ireland could you put on a PR Show for one set of people and at the same time inconvenience and annoy another section.

Only in Ireland can you find knockers that give out about everything. For gods sake take the clonsilla road in to the village if nessesary or even through Roselawn and come in from the Bell side.

Fair play to the guards for a good news story and I am only sorry I missed it.

No let's not forget about what other roads you could have taken.

Why are you obsessed with that ONE road being closed when there are loads of other options for getting in and out of Blanchardstown?

Ps. What are you on about saying my "friends". None of my friends are guards :confused:

Can't believe that there are complaints about this :(

Sometimes one off events need to make certain adaptations in order to hold a successful event. This was obviously one such event. Space must have been needed by the Gardai in order to host the Garda Band, the mounted unit and the fire brigade, etc.

Perhaps those who are complaining should consider visiting, what seems like a great event, next year with their little one rather then complaining that they couldn't drive up one small road. Why didn't they just drive another route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

…I was stuck…

How awful that for one hour the universe failed to organize itself around your needs. Seriously, get over it. Your posts sound bitter and selfish. I don't doubt that it was stressful for you, but repeatedly coming online to prolong the agony won't help, and neither will boycotting the whole of Blanchardstown because you got stuck in a traffic jam. If you feel so strongly about it then complain to the Chief Superintendent in Blanchardstown Garda Station (and do please let us know what response you get).

It sounds as if this event was overwhelmingly positive.

Advertisement