Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ds extremely quiet in class

• 20-09-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

Any ideas to help ds come out of his shell a bit teacher told me last week he is extremely quiet in class and doesn't even ask when he needs anything? He's not quiet at home but not a bold child at home either. Very happy though loves going to school and goes in by himself everyday. Any advice appreciated cause I'm an awful worrier. The funny thing is I was quiet as a child myself an didn't do me any harm but I don't think I was as sensitive as ds

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm sure he is just settling in, I wouldn't worry too much. Suddenly being thrown in with 29 others is hard for any child. Just mention it to him that teacher is there to help anyone and that he should always ask teacher for help if he needs it. Don't make it a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Annmac16

I'd just give it time, and don't worry, he is going to school each day and not in any way distressed or anxious. Being quiet is really all about taking it all in, getting your bearings and learning how things work. When it feels more familiar he may come out of his shell, or he may be one of those children who are happy to be quiet in a large group situation, so don't worry and just be positive and don't put pressure on him to be any different than he is right now, because this is his way of adapting to a fairly massive change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

My two girls were both like this and still are fairly quiet in 5th and 6th classes, my husband says he was the same as a child.

In senior infants my 2nd daughter had a brilliant teacher who used to send her on loads of messages just to make her have to do things by herself and have to talk to other teachers, most of the messages were made up - to give a video to another teacher and then go back and collect it a little while later and stuff like that.

This really helped her as she was starting to not want to go to school. She really hates to be the centre of attention, just like me and her Dad, she won't even have birthday party's hates the cake bit with everyone looking at her.

I'm not worried about her she is very confident in her own way has a few very good friends, she will never follow the crowd if she doesn't want to do something she will not do it. At home she will not stop talking total opposite to how she is in school.

One downside of being quite in school is that the boldest in class is always put beside her as she is the least likely to get involved in whatever messing is going on, this girl brakes her colours steals her lunch ect. but she won't tell the teacher or let me talk to the teacher, I've told her she has to stand up for herself to this little madam.

Surprisingly she seems to be really popular in school gets asked to loads of birthday party's and play dates but she will only go to her best friends party's.

I would talk to your sons teacher to see if she would do something similar it might help your son, like it helped my daughter. The other thing that helped my two build confidence and independence was starting brownies maybe cubs would be good for your little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

thanks for that I'm going to give it till mid term and see how it goes and when he's a bit more familiar maybe do a few playdates (God help me) have started hime in soccer too with a completely different set of people in school whether thats good or bad I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Birdy Mc

A child can be as quiet as they want in the classroom and as loud as they want at home. Some teachers believe a child has to contribute 100% but the quieter child can be a beacon for other less boisterous children. I've had numerous children, who progress throughout the year. All they need is a little time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

ah thanks for that Birdy Mc it helps to know time will improve it!! Really appreciate the advice from everyone and it's all welcome

Advertisement