Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone launches 42Mbps mobile broadband to Irish market

Options
  • 20-09-2011 12:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/23656-vodafone-launches-42mbps-mo

Mobile broadband in Ireland has been pushed to a new limit – a whopping 45Mbps – according to Vodafone. The company today revealed it will be the first carrier to introduce HSPA+ Dual Carrier technology.

HSPA+ Dual Carrier technology is the latest milestone in 3G technology on the road to 4G Long Term Evolution.

The technology effectively runs two mobile broadband links on the one modem, allowing broadband users to enjoy double the speed.

“Mobile broadband technology has gone from 3.6Mbps to 14Mbps and 21Mbps,” Vodafone’s chief technology officer Fergal Kelly explained. “What we’re doing with HSPA+ dual carrier is changing the modulation complexity so in effect we’re sending more information in the same link but doubling the capacity from 21Mbps to 42Mbps.”

The new HSPA+ Dual Carrier service will cost €34.99 per month, including VAT.

Kelly explained that, in practice, the peak customer experience will be limited to 32.4Mbps of the design threshold after overheads and signalling are removed. In real conditions, users could expect peak speeds of 27Mbps and an average of 10Mbps in good conditions.

Another technology the company is introducing is a Quality of Service feature that prioritises certain users’ broadband access, guaranteeing them four times faster access than a standard connection.

Kelly explained that the increase in mobile broadband speeds is being led by the growth in flexible working practices in Ireland, especially where firms are trying to make greater use of business applications hosted in the cloud.

The HSPA+ Dual Carrier technology has already been enabled on Vodafone’s network in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford and Kilkenny, and major towns like Bray, Carlow, Drogheda, Dundalk, Ennis, Greystones, Naas, Navan and Swords. The remaining national rollout will be completed over the next 12-18 months.

I'll believe it when i see it!

But if it does work will we get any were near those speeds? Will other mobile companies have something similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

a whopping 45Mbps
    doubling the capacity from 21Mbps to 42Mbps
    that, in practice, the peak customer experience will be limited to 32.4Mbps
    users could expect peak speeds of 27Mbps
    and an average of 10Mbps in good conditions.

So basically less than 10Mbps.

I'm not sure if thats for the users who do go for the QoS feature
    Another technology the company is introducing is a Quality of Service feature that prioritises certain users’ broadband access, guaranteeing them four times faster access than a standard connection
    which could mean that users who don't would end up effectively under 2.5Mbps ?

That's how I read the release anyway. I probably made a mistake somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Actual download speed on a mobile connection is typically less than 1/4 of the claimed speed. I had a 7.2 Mbps HSDPA Vodafone dongle and never managed to get more than 2 Mbps connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

stevenmu wrote: »
    So basically less than 10Mbps.

I'm not sure if thats for the users who do go for the QoS feature
    which could mean that users who don't would end up effectively under 2.5Mbps ?

That's how I read the release anyway. I probably made a mistake somewhere.

LOL. That's a fair assessment I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Most of it it PR rubbish but there's a nugget hidden in there and it's this

"Another technology the company is introducing is a Quality of Service feature that prioritises certain users’ broadband access, guaranteeing them four times faster access than a standard connection"

If and I think I could be right on this it basically means there going to start charging on quality of service. So the more you pay the better a connection your going to get. There already doing this in the states, So for your basic let's say 19.99 mobile broadband connection you will now have a better connection for 29.99.
    It's a way for them to move away from cheap mobile broadband or to sum it up another way a chance to charge you extra for a service you should already be getting.
    Wish I could remember which US carrier is doing this, would make it a lot simpler for people to understand. It's bad news for people on a contract with no minimum SLA which is 100% of Vodafone 3G users. Your now going to be throttled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Most of it it PR rubbish but there's a nugget hidden in there and it's this

"Another technology the company is introducing is a Quality of Service feature that prioritises certain users’ broadband access, guaranteeing them four times faster access than a standard connection"

If and I think I could be right on this it basically means there going to start charging on quality of service. So the more you pay the better a connection your going to get. There already doing this in the states, So for your basic let's say 19.99 mobile broadband connection you will now have a better connection for 29.99.
    It's a way for them to move away from cheap mobile broadband or to sum it up another way a chance to charge you extra for a service you should already be getting.
    Wish I could remember which US carrier is doing this, would make it a lot simpler for people to understand. It's bad news for people on a contract with no minimum SLA which is 100% of Vodafone 3G users. Your now going to be throttled.

basically I read it as pay extra for a guaranteed 10Mbps or pay less for an iffy at best 2 Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

If I am paying 35 eu a month for an upload speed of 855 Kbps and a download speed of 992 Kbps (with a wireless broadband package) that feeds into the back of my PC should I be considering switching to this service?

Would I be able to use my new Vodafone mobile phone , which apparently is set up for "tethering", to allow others to share the connection? It is called Vodafone 858 Smart White and I am on PAYG.

I need to ask (although I suppose I could just top up ,sign up and find out perhaps) since these speed acronyms do my head in and also whenever I read anything on this forum about mobile broadband it never seems very supportive..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Wonder what the data cap for the service would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

vodafone do a 350 gig cap monthly BUT ya need a phone line,so if i ordered that package my phone line only holds 12 meg d/load speed and my upload speed will be only half a meg

unless they are going to do a UPC job without the phoneline???

also cannot see them doing this with a dongle no way

OK if I bump this thread?
    Did anyone try this service yet?
    I am wondering if it will be as good as the Wimax I am getting with Lightnet.
    ( http://www.lightnet.ie/pricing.html )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

that lightnet is very poor even 3G does a wireless dongle with 60 gigs pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Who is 3G? Do you mean Three?

Advertisement