Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And on it goes....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

are you surprised? Its some joke alright but what can you do? If you express your opinion of this shocking waste of OUR money you are liable to be set upon the lefty-liberal wasters who seek to jump on every controversial issue going. That plus the fact that you will be labelled a racist cos of course you can't criticise our ethnic minority in Ireland.

<mod snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, being a "minority" seems a good excuse to screw more money out of the state.
    There is no discrimination against anyone, no-one is being kept down, this is just a story perpetuated by people from so called "disadvantaged backgrounds".
    There is no such thing.
    Everyone can go to school, everyone can get an education, everyone has the same chance in life, people who claim that they are being "kept down" only have themselves to blame and maybe they don't want it any other way.
    There's nothing stopping anyone from achieving anything they want and if they don't it is only themselves holding themselves back.
    And continuing to give them handouts and housing will only reinforce and deepen the problem, time to say "sink or swim, we're pulling the plug, everyone else has to struggle and you're not an exception. You perceive yourself to be a minority, that's nice dear, now go out there and earn a living"
    In Germany if you're unemployed you get nothing if you still have any possessions. Once they're sold, you might get a pittance. You will be offered jobs, if you don't take them, you get zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

In Germany if you're unemployed you get nothing if you still have any possessions. Once they're sold, you might get a pittance. You will be offered jobs, if you don't take them, you get zilch.

That's utter rubbish. Please read the German Social Security Act before posting inaccurate information (google it, I'm not inclined to explain it in all its complexity here).
    There's nothing stopping anyone from achieving anything they want and if they don't it is only themselves holding themselves back.

So anyone can be a brain surgeon or an actress or simply a millionaire if they only want it? :rolleyes:
    Society doesn't work like that, I have to disappoint you. Thinking outside one's cave would help to understand.

Re. the topic: Milking the system is not a traveller problem alone. The so-called settled community and especially the political classes are masters in it.
    In the above mentioned case though I agree that it is money wasted on people who apparently don't appreciate any help given.
    One solution would be simply for the council to say No. But look at the people who sit in the council...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Carry wrote: »
    That's utter rubbish. Please read the German Social Security Act before posting inaccurate information (google it, I'm not inclined to explain it in all its complexity here).

So anyone can be a brain surgeon or an actress or simply a millionaire if they only want it? :rolleyes:
    Society doesn't work like that, I have to disappoint you. Thinking outside one's cave would help to understand.

Re. the topic: Milking the system is not a traveller problem alone. The so-called settled community and especially the political classes are masters in it.
    In the above mentioned case though I agree that it is money wasted on people who apparently don't appreciate any help given.
    One solution would be simply for the council to say No. But look at the people who sit in the council...

My comments where not aimed at travelers, there are whole swathes of the population that perceive themselves to be disadvantaged and victimised, settled or not.
    A whole culture of "we are entitled to handouts because we are poor bastards" has evolved from that. So helping them too much will only hinder them.
    Not everyone can become a brainsurgeon, God help the people if I ever did!
    But I have always managed to get along.
    Yes, state handouts are vital, I have been unemployed, I have received benefits and things like that are vital.
    But once you've received them for 10 years plus, one might think the piss is being taken.
    As for Hartz IV (as social welfare is currently known in Deutschland):

Whether or not a claimant is eligible depends on his or her savings, life insurance and the income of spouse or partner.
    and
    Unemployed persons may be forced to accept any kind of legal job.

My statement may be a gross simplification of the situation back home, but I can definitively say that it is a damn sight stricter than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If the council isn't going to give the project proper oversight then they might as well knock the whole thing turn it back into a caravan park it operated pretty well before the housing scheme was brought in. If there are some travellers living in old delapidated caravans unfit for children let them pay 20% for a new one and let the government cover the other 80%. It seems with these feuds letting people move about of their own accord is the only solution. Otherwise people are going to burn down other peoples houses. The travellers have a way of life that suits them, if they don't want that they can adapt and make the best of the working class system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

are you surprised? Its some joke alright but what can you do? If you express your opinion of this shocking waste of OUR money you are liable to be set upon the lefty-liberal wasters who seek to jump on every controversial issue going. That plus the fact that you will be labelled a racist cos of course you can't criticise our ethnic minority in Ireland. Instead of this new septic tank charge how about who just dump our ****e on these halting sites!!! They are obviously filthy already seeing as we have to pay to sort them out!
    Am I surprised?Not a bit.Nothing shocks me in Ireland today.Nothing.Your comments hit the nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Sure why would they care ... it's not their money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

It's not rocket science-make it a condition of their occupation of any public housing that the traveller pays for ANY damage. Structure it so it is garnished from a welfare payment or children's allowance. I would willingly vote for any councillor/TD who pushed for this and got it implemented.
    Site inspections need to be unannounced and mandatory, and if there is any problem from the tenants make it a condition that they will face immediate eviction. If these people do not wish to live in a civilised manner, then there is no room for them in our society.
    Any one see the state of the four houses on the Watery road/oakpark drive, left hand side as you head towards O'keeffe Oil? Stacks of pallets, loads of sawlog, litter everywhere, scrap. Where's a litter warden when you really need one?
    All the above should apply to all local authority tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

MOSSAD wrote: »
    It's not rocket science-make it a condition of their occupation of any public housing that the traveller pays for ANY damage. Structure it so it is garnished from a welfare payment or childre's allowance. i would willingly vote for any councillor/TD who pushed for this and got it implemented.
    Site inspections need to be unannounced and mandatory, and if there is any problem from the tenants make it a condition that they will face immediate eviction. If these people do not wish to live in a civilised manner, then there is no room for them in our society.
    Any one see the state of the four houses on the Watery road/oakpark drive, left hand side as you head towards O'keeffe Oil? Stacks of pallets, loads of sawlog, litter everywhere, scrap. Where's a litter warden when you really need one?
    All the above should apply to all local authority tenants.
    What you say makes too much sense.You'll never be a councillor, and definately never a politician.These people do not wish to live in a civilised manner.That is quite clear at this stage. Im sick of it now. They get free housing, free medical care, free EVERYTHING. And now we've to pay for security cameras to keep the poor crayturs under control.Its not like em to misbehave.Your right.It should apply to ALL local authority tenants.Not just travellers.But something has to give eventually. Its a joke now. People bustin their balls to pay for mortgages, childrens schooling etc, keeping a car on the road etc. and then you read about how our money is being wasted.On wasters.

Advertisement