Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin of Slaughter Hill Wicklow

Options
  • 20-09-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Just wondering where the hill got its name from that goes from Newtown / Ashford up to Roudwood. Cant find anything on the net. I presume it goes back to Irish rebellion just thought someoen here might know

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Could be completely wrong but I think there was a family there by the name of Slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

ever since i was small i put it down to the hill being a death trap to drive, cycle or walk on :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Maybe you're right - I can't think of any other hill which has been given a family's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've been told it dates back to 1798, but I've never seen anything confirming that. There was a battle in Newtownmountkennedy during that rebellion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've been told it dates back to 1798, but I've never seen anything confirming that. There was a battle in Newtownmountkennedy during that rebellion.
    i was told tgat when the rebels realised they.were losing they tried to retreat into the woodland on slaughter hill but were chased and killed dunno if its true or not but its what my grandfather was told when he was little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dunno if its true or not but I heard that lots of horses died dragging stone from the coast up to Roundwood to build the resevoir. Hence the name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Imbyrne

Imbyrne wrote: »
    The author describes a journey from Ashford, through the Devil's glen on up to Roundwood. No mention of Slaughter hill as far as I could see.

slowburner wrote: »
    The author describes a journey from Ashford, through the Devil's glen on up to Roundwood. No mention of Slaughter hill as far as I could see.

Yeah, depends on the timeline. I presume it may have been a years later name.....?
    Is there a map showing the Hill from years back? It may have had a different name....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thats a different road.
    Slaughter Hill goes from Newtownmountkennedy to Roundwood.

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thats a different road.
    Slaughter Hill goes from Newtownmountkennedy to Roundwood.

I know it, I'm from Newtown and travelled it many times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was quoting "slowburner". I think he may be mixing up his roads.:D

Imbyrne wrote: »
    Yeah, depends on the timeline. I presume it may have been a years later name.....?
    Is there a map showing the Hill from years back? It may have had a different name....?
    Log on to the OSI website - there is a map there from approx. 1838 but it doesn't mention Slaughter Hill.

Happens all the time - geographical dyslexia :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40 weeda

i was told tgat when the rebels realised they.were losing they tried to retreat into the woodland on slaughter hill but were chased and killed dunno if its true or not but its what my grandfather was told when he was little

This is close to what i have always known. Heard that men hid in waiting at the top of the hill for the lads who where on the way up the hill.....

:eek:

Happens all the time - geographical dyslexia :p

Classic.
    Now if I could only get this traffic to move so I can get home and watch the Ireland game. Bloody American Highways.... Not a patch on that road winding up Slaughter Hill. These Yanks would be scared stiff!!

Ha ha. I'm going to bed soon - gotta get up for Ireland at 5.30
    We'll answer Ireland's call..................

Ha ha. I'm going to bed soon - gotta get up for Ireland at 5.30
    We'll answer Ireland's call..................

Oh I Know, it's on at 2am over here!
    Sitting on a closed Highway due to an accident while it's almost 20deg C out!
    No joy, but at least I can get RTE on the iPhone for the match against Andorra!

Wouldn't mind the 20º but the traffic I could do without. Best of luck and stay hydrated :pac::pac::pac:

Here's the link to the OSI map I mentioned above. Be careful this site should come with a health warning - it is completely addictive.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,724717,707890,5,8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

I thought it was an anglicisation of Slí Uachtar (upper way).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

As far as I know Slaughter Hill was named as where United Irishmen retreated and were killed by the British. There was a mass grave from the era found in Newtown in the 1960's. The other hill Callow Hill was originally called Gallow Hill where prisoners where hung as far as local stories go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

The Duchas website has lots of local history from around wicklow, including the following about Slaughter Hill

"The old name of the Slaughter road was "Slighe Uachtar" which means the upper way. It was called this to distinguish it from the Callow Hill road which went round the base of the hill. "

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5044777/5037369/5137878

Advertisement