Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I properly insured? Would appreciate advice.

• 20-09-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

When I first insured my camper I also had a car insured in my own name, had 50% no claims etc

However I have since got rid of the car and am a named driver on someone else's fully comp car insurance. I really do not need a car of my own.

I understood being a named driver on a car policy was good enough, i.e. it's not as though I am using the camper as my main mode of transport - but recently I noticed that the camper policy says the person on whose policy I am the named driver must be a "common-law partner". That's a very iffy thing to define, and I don't think there is even a legal definition of what this is in Ireland.

Any thoughts? And direct experience?

Also: is it true that once I have been without my OWN car policy for 2 years, I will lose my no-claims bonus i.e. if I ever get a car again I will go back to huge premiums?

Thanks. db.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alanv420

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    When I first insured my camper I also had a car insured in my own name, had 50% no claims etc

However I have since got rid of the car and am a named driver on someone else's fully comp car insurance. I really do not need a car of my own.

I understood being a named driver on a car policy was good enough, i.e. it's not as though I am using the camper as my main mode of transport - but recently I noticed that the camper policy says the person on whose policy I am the named driver must be a "common-law partner". That's a very iffy thing to define, and I don't think there is even a legal definition of what this is in Ireland.

Also: is it true that once I have been without my OWN car policy for 2 years, I will lose my no-claims bonus i.e. if I ever get a car again I will go back to huge premiums?

Thanks. db.

Don't know the answer to the first part of your question but regards no claims bonus. I (my son) lost mine years ago, as we only had one car after this I was a named driver on my wife's policy. A couple of years ago we needed two cars again and I was able to use my "Named driver" status on my wife's policy to allow me 50% no claims bonus on a new policy for the second car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's only one way to know for sure.

Thanks. db.

Correct. You can change policies every couple of years to keep your NCB, you have an insurable interest in your SO's vehicle, but most companies will give discounts for named driver as said.

Advertisement