Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Channels Instalation - Saorview etc

• 20-09-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My mother had some form of Sky TV which is now gone and with the RTE channels going soon she is dying to get some tv in for the winter.

I rang Dalton TV and they want €400!!!!!!! to instal this Saorview crap. Although it is a one-off cost there is no way she could afford.

A neighbour of a neighbour has bought a dish of €60 from Aldi and installed it for €50 and he can get some channels with that (is that legal).

What other options are out there apart from Sky and NTL which are too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

The dish from aldi or lidl will get the (free to air) stations which is all the bbc's and itv's and ch4's and it's all legit.Saorview is for when you have the aerial on the roof so the E400 must be for the aerial installation and saorview box,Does she have a saorview enabled tv,If so she will not need the saorview box .
    Check out the satellite and Terrestrial threads in the tech forum of boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi there,

My mother had some form of Sky TV which is now gone and with the RTE channels going soon she is dying to get some tv in for the winter.

I rang Dalton TV and they want €400!!!!!!! to instal this Saorview crap. Although it is a one-off cost there is no way she could afford.

A neighbour of a neighbour has bought a dish of €60 from Aldi and installed it for €50 and he can get some channels with that (is that legal).

What other options are out there apart from Sky and NTL which are too expensive.

yes, Free To Air dishes will get channels free, legally but not the irish ones

saorview is best option for irish channels

€400 is way off unless there are serious obstacles to insallation

your mother will need a saorview tv or else a set-top box (€100) on her current tv, an aerial (€25 upwards depending on need) and some cable

if she already has a sky dish andcabling to tv, you can use that to hook up aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The Saorview set-top boxes will be getting cheaper (than €100) as the analogue switch-off approaches in 2012. If she can get TV3 and TG4 through her aerial now, she probably won't even need a new aerial.

The Lidl dish will get you all of the BBCs, the ITVs, Channel 4, More 4, Film 4 etc. Has she a dish already? If so, you can use it to pick up these channels as both Sky and Free-to-air channels are received from the same satellite. An old Sky box will also pick up the Free-to-Air channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Where are you located? If in the Dublin area, I have used a guy (for myself and some friends) who could install a dish and aerial for you a lot cheaper than you are being quoted. Only around the Dublin area I'm afraid. Worth a call to see how much he would charge - but it won't be any where near 400 which I consider to doubly excessive. Of course as deemark has said, if she has the dish already up, all that is needed is an old sky box and then an aerial for saorview; and of course a saorview decoder or saorview enabled TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It'll be late 2012 before the analogue channels are turned off so your mother need not panic yet, she has almost a year to go.

I hope she knows she won't get most Sky channels without a Sky box and subscription, it won't be available on SaorView or any other sat service. However she will be able to get a host of free-to-air channels on sat using almost any sat box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I bought one of these, Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo HD Free to air HD Satellite Terrestrial Digital receiver.

I already had a dish and connected this to it, I pointed the house Ariel (standard Attic jobbie) in the right direction as per Saoraview and plugged in the Aerial as well...
    I now have all the Irish HD Digital channels + all the usual free BBC, UTV, ITV, etc etc, some in HD Too...

You can also record on this box as well with a USB stick, or Connect and external hard drive.
    You'll get more info on the Satellite Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

adrianb68 wrote: »
    just buy a saorview ready Ariel, and it works brill for the old analogue system, i put one in my attic last month and we have sky quality rte1, rte2, tv3 and tng, up to now would have to hang a ariel out the window to get a decent reception , i got mine here and it was only €20 http://www.hardwareheaven.ie/hardware_heaven_weekly_specials.pdf

Ariel is a well known detergent not often found on roofs :rolleyes:

You could at least learn how to spell AERIAL if you are going to sell them! (you have it spelt wrong on your page too.)

Not everyone will have to replace their aerials to receive Saorview either.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/aerial/
    The vast majority of homes with existing outdoor/rooftop UHF aerials will be able to receive the SAORVIEW signal.

It looks like we are seeing the same opportunists trying to sell equipment here as happened a couple of years ago in the UK. Nothing in the OP suggested their existing aerial was insufficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi there,

My mother had some form of Sky TV which is now gone and with the RTE channels going soon she is dying to get some tv in for the winter. . .

. . . What other options are out there apart from Sky and NTL which are too expensive.

You'd be better off posting in the tv forums (terrestrial would be a good place to start).

Let us know what part of the country your mother's in & what kind of tv setup she has atm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I bought one of these, Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo HD Free to air HD Satellite Terrestrial Digital receiver.

I already had a dish and connected this to it, I pointed the house Ariel (standard Attic jobbie) in the right direction as per Saoraview and plugged in the Aerial as well...
    I now have all the Irish HD Digital channels + all the usual free BBC, UTV, ITV, etc etc, some in HD Too...

You can also record on this box as well with a USB stick, or Connect and external hard drive.
    You'll get more info on the Satellite Boards
    I got one of these aswell. Highly recommend

Advertisement