Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to visit in WA

Options
  • 20-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone
    Just looking 4 a bit of advice, I have just over 2 weeks off between jobs coming up and thinking about doing a bit of traveling around WA. We have our own car not 4wd was thinking of checking out the kimberly and maybe broome but other travelers have told that us that we would need a 4wd for that. Also was thinking of maybe margret river, kalgoorlie and albany. We will b starting out from perth and our next job is in the wheat belt. Any advice or past experiences of traveling around WA would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Think this question was asked a few months back and some good advice given so it might be worth searching for that.

You will need 4WD for some parts of Kimberly but you can see lots with normal car. I drove around that region in a van and had no issues. It's beautiful around there and Broome but, as you can guess, a lot of driving involved.

I also spent a few weeks driving loop from Perth down through Maragret River, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoorlie and back to Perth. This is beautiful as well and probably packs more variety of sights into much smaller space. You get great little surf towns, beautiful beaches and national parks and great wine and food.

Both options will give you a great trip so it's probably personal preference, if I was you I'd try to squeeze both in at some stage! WA is my favorite part of Aus to travel in, just writing this brings back great roadtrip memories, can't wait to go back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Think this question was asked a few months back and some good advice given so it might be worth searching for that.

You will need 4WD for some parts of Kimberly but you can see lots with normal car. I drove around that region in a van and had no issues. It's beautiful around there and Broome but, as you can guess, a lot of driving involved.

I also spent a few weeks driving loop from Perth down through Maragret River, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoorlie and back to Perth. This is beautiful as well and probably packs more variety of sights into much smaller space. You get great little surf towns, beautiful beaches and national parks and great wine and food.

Both options will give you a great trip so it's probably personal preference, if I was you I'd try to squeeze both in at some stage! WA is my favorite part of Aus to travel in, just writing this brings back great roadtrip memories, can't wait to go back :)

How long did the road trip down the south coast up to Kalgoorlie and back to Perth take? Sorry OP for jumping in!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

South of Perth:

Margaret River
    Busselton
    Dunsborough
    Albany
    Fremantle

North of Perth

Yanchep
    Moore River
    Jurien Bay
    Geraldton
    Kalbarri
    Shark Bay
    Monkey Mia
    Exmouth
    Coral Bay
    Broome

All of them are awesome in their own way.

skipz wrote: »

How long did the road trip down the south coast up to Kalgoorlie and back to Perth take? Sorry OP for jumping in!

I think it was about 2 weeks and that was at a fairly relaxed pace. We found we lingered a few days in places like Margaret River/Yallingup, Esperance and then maybe one night in others like Kalgoorlie. The leg from Kal back to Perth we did in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Thank you for the words of advice everyone, sounds good, Think we will do the south of Perth route this time round because we have only 14days, what do people think should we get ourselfs some camping gear r just go from backpackers to backpackers ?:)

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Thank you for the words of advice everyone, sounds good, Think we will do the south of Perth route this time round because we have only 14days, what do people think should we get ourselfs some camping gear r just go from backpackers to backpackers ?:)

Camping gear is handy as lots of lovely national parks and camp sites in the region. We probably split camping/backpackers about 60/40 and stayed in free camp sites for 3 or 4 nights to keep costs down.

Advertisement