Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbeds business -advice needed

Options
  • 20-09-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I have been thinking of opening sunbeds business in my local area.
    As I haven't got previous experience in opening a business, I am not sure where to start.
    Do I need to register a company or can I have it as self-employed?
    What is the legal side? Insurance, tax, etc?
    Can I find the premises and rent them before actually registering the business?
    What do I need to have in the premises to qualify for the business, etc?

In short, I would like to talk to a person who has a beauty salon/similar business running or in general who can help me in opening the business.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Romalda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Romka

I just found out about County Enterprise Board, so will take from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are (or were under last government) proposals to ban tanning salons. I would be very reticent about entering this business if it requires capital investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭KingKenny77

Stay away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Stay away from them

Perhaps you could be more helpful to the OP by explaining why they should stay away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Romka

Thanks everyone for your opinion.
    Well, I have to say that sunbeds are very popular, especially among foreign nationals, that's why I thought about a possibility to enter this business. If they were banned, how would they still be expanding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Stay away from them

"Or i'll burst ya!" :D:D
    Romka wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your opinion.
    Well, I have to say that sunbeds are very popular, especially among foreign nationals, that's why I thought about a possibility to enter this business. If they were banned, how would they still be expanding?

The previous poster was saying that there were plans to ban or critically restrict the use of sunbeds. This isn't on the table at the moment, but it hasn't gone away completely - so you may invest heavily into your new business only to find that 6 months down the line you are no longer allowed to operate and can't sell your equipment or business either as every other sunbed place in the country is also trying to offload their equipment. 'Tread carefully' I believe was the main argument he had. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Automated spray tanning maybe a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Wouldn't advise it OP. I don't know about the rest of Europe but almost all the sunbed businesses in Scandinavia have gone out of business due to the bad reputation the beds got.

Advertisement