Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Router "Installation Charge"

• 20-09-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

I want to complain about UPC's false advertising for Wireless Routers.

On the website there is the option to get a "free wireless router" if you subscribe to a more expensive package, or pay €50 for a wireless router on the basic package. I chose the basic package, thinking that I was buying a wireless router for €50.http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

They send you the wireless router in a box and you install it yourself.

However when the bill comes it says "Installation Charge (Wireless Router)" - €50.

So they charge €50 for "installation" which you do yourself, and they still own the router!

This is not hinted at on their website, nor was it mentioned on the phone when I ordered.

Who can I complain to about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Would you not just ring up customer care, tell them you never agreed to this charge, and have it cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I haven't seen my bill yet but when I ordered my upgrade to 50mb I tried first on the phone and they said something about a charge €20 I think when I queried it vs the web they said I'd to order online to be charge free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I chose the basic package, thinking that I was buying a wireless router for €50.http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

What you thought, and what you were paying for, are two different things. You should have asked them to clarify what you were paying for, before you ordered it. It doesn't say anything about the router being yours, or buying the router, on the website. It says it's a one off charge of €49.99. It even says it's a wireless modem, not a router.

If you subscribe to a higher package, which costs more, they waive this charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

jor el wrote: »
    What you thought, and what you were paying for, are two different things. You should have asked them to clarify what you were paying for, before you ordered it.

The woman on the phone asks me do I want a wireless modem for €50, I say yes. That seemed fairly clear to me.

Maybe they should start offering televisions with their TV package. "Do you want a television for €400?" Then you have to give it back to them, nice little earner.

It is very misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Anan1 wrote: »
    Would you not just ring up customer care, tell them you never agreed to this charge, and have it cancelled?

Unfortunately I did agree to the charge, but didn't get what I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

So why not just explain that to them?

You werent aware that ISPs give out modem router combos that have to be returned if you ever leave (which to be fair isnt a secret across the world), that you made a mistake and would like to return the unit for a standard modem and have a credit added for the cost?

You can then buy any router you want.

You do have to set that up yourself though and will only have support on that for a year so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

My first UPC bill is due soon and by the sounds of this i'm not looking forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i hate when people try to justify all this hidden crap.

there is a movie called transmorphers hich came out the same time as tranformers. it was msde by asylum pictures. it is a b movie with the purpose that people will buy the dvd by accident for their kids or whatever meaning to buy the blckbuster instead. this i something trhats "accepted". it should not be. it is misleading and like these "misleading" offers from companies out to make a buck over customes satisfaction. i find it horrendious that idiots try to justify companies doing this. its not right AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!. if you are selling product A then you should explain in the simplest om what product A is. not try to make people buy it by accident.

i cant believe idiots on here will back these companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Icky Thump wrote: »

i cant believe idiots people with differing opinions to my own on here will back these companies
    fixed your post. no need to get personal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

there is a movie called transmorphers hich came out the same time as tranformers. it was msde by asylum pictures. it is a b movie with the purpose that people will buy the dvd by accident for their kids or whatever meaning to buy the blckbuster instead. this i something trhats "accepted". it should not be. it is misleading and like these "misleading" offers from companies out to make a buck over customes satisfaction. i find it horrendious that idiots try to justify companies doing this. its not right AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!. if you are selling product A then you should explain in the simplest om what product A is. not try to make people buy it by accident.

i cant believe idiots on here will back these companies

I can't believe people don't read the ts and cs or even read things properly tbh.

• Advertisement

i have no problem with people with opinions different from my own and i understand the t&c crap but you cant tell me you read all the t&c everytime. get real.

also as i said companies try the spice up their offers by hidding charge wich is a load of crap. if im buying 20mb broadband im not expecting it to be 20mb broadband only when jupiter is on the west side of the county ad the birds are flying east. i mean come on. a few times i done the lotto but do i call myself a gambler. stop defending these scumbags.

stop defending these scumbags.
    i wasn't defending UPC, i was defending other posters right to disagree with you without being labelled idiots. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

i have no problem with people with opinions different from my own and i understand the t&c crap but you cant tell me you read all the t&c everytime. get real.

also as i said companies try the spice up their offers by hidding charge wich is a load of crap. if im buying 20mb broadband im not expecting it to be 20mb broadband only when jupiter is on the west side of the county ad the birds are flying east. i mean come on. a few times i done the lotto but do i call myself a gambler. stop defending these scumbags.
    Of course I do, we're in a recession, no offence but anyone who doesn't in this day and age when entering a contact is a bit of an idiot.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i wasn't defending UPC, i was defending other posters right to disagree with you without being labelled idiots. :)

ok you have a point:D maybe idiots was too strong a term...............

i get pretty pasionate about these things and tend to get carried away.

sorry to all

i just feel that companies tend to find it acceptable to hide charges from the consumer. people think they are getting a great deal until the reach the counter and find that no they actually need 10 other things to make it work whoch brings the cost up 3 fold and then they are guilted into signing up for a supscription they are told that they want.

sure people are free to say no but when they are backed into a corner and preyed upon by used car salesmen then there is mostly just one winner.

the prime example in "concern". they are a "charity" i put that in quotation marks as i dont agree that they are but thats another debate. lets take Concern. instead of asking Joe Public for a donation on the street, they ask Joe Public to sign up to 5 or 10 euro a month. they give you the guilt story about kids dying and all this nonsense and try to get you to donate cash every month. now im not disputing the relative value of 5 or 10 euro as all our circumstances are different but its this idea of business trying to suck every last bit of cash out of you.

if i buy a can of coke i dont want to be paying coca cola for the privelage over the space of 12 months.

one transaction. one cost.

thats how it should be. but we have let comapnies and mostly internet and tv providers get away with it for too long.

is it really unrealistic to ask that they tell us how much "item A" will cost??? instead of telling us that we can use it away and theyll let us know at the end of the month

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Of course I do, we're in a recession, no offence but anyone who doesn't in this day and age when entering a contact is a bit of an idiot.

your kidding?????

they took the piss out of people like that on southpark recently:D

im sorry but when i get a 10 page document of T&C no way in hell will i read it. companies know that. i know its silly but is it too much to ask that they stop hiding loop holes and just have it set up basically.

example: im selling my laptop. i give all the specs and the price. i give my location and the possible cost of P&P if needed to the buyer. my T&C you pay me i give you the laptop. why would i need a 10 page essay on T&C.

10 pages is an exadergation but you see what im saying??

the prime example in "concern". they are a "charity" i put that in quotation marks as i dont agree that they are but thats another debate. lets take Concern. instead of asking Joe Public for a donation on the street, they ask Joe Public to sign up to 5 or 10 euro a month. they give you the guilt story about kids dying and all this nonsense and try to get you to donate cash every month. now im not disputing the relative value of 5 or 10 euro as all our circumstances are different but its this idea of business trying to suck every last bit of cash out of you.
    i'm pretty sure that if 'charities' like concern had to put a big sign up showing you how little of your money actually gets to where you think it's all going, nobody at all would sign up.

Advertisement