Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountmellick Movies

Options
  • 20-09-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just want to post up notice to all in the Laois area, i am starting a documentary movie night in the mountmellick community & arts centre aiming to show at least one doc a month, we will be starting with the PIPE on 08/10/2011 @ 8:00pm,

http://mountmellickmovies.webs.com/

At this point we have not had confirmation of who will be speaking from Rossport but i will update in the coming days.

Tickets are €7.50 each & available by request on e-mail,

movies@clubmember.org

Upon receipt of e-mail you will be provided with a paypal transaction for your ticket booking.

Hope we can have a full house for the PIPE & all the other showings i intend to host over the coming months & years.

Thanks & see you there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Hi all,

Just dropping a reminder for anyone who is looking for something different this saturday night the 8th october.

The PIPE will be showing in the Mountmellick community & arts centre across from the credit union, the old cinema will be starting to show films again on a monthly basis & hopefully more frequently once we get the ball rolling.

Would be great if we had a full house to kick it off & support the cinema into the future, i am putting together a schedule of films at the moment which will be added into the schedule soon which can be seen on the website linked in first post, interview going out on midlands103 thursday evening show with claire o'brien, 19:00 to 20:00, 'Encore',

http://www.midlands103.com/Schedule.aspx

Tickets can be bought by paypal or on the evening depending on availability.

First film i have shown (the PIPE) was a moderate suucces, we had about 20 people (i was hoping for about 40 to 50 really) & Terence Conway from rossport attended & answered questions for about 1 hour after the film ended.

It was a good start & now i am pushing ahead with a showing of the GAMA strike Documentary which is recognised for it impartiality in presenting the facts of what occurred at the time,

Gama%20strike%20poster%20for%20web%20jpeg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Where is the Arts Centre in Mountmellick? Sounds like a good initiative, comrade.

Hi ILA,

There is a link to a map on the calender page on the website, here it is here,

Sarsfield street

Its directly acrosss from the credit union & Shaws, it was the old cinema.
    Are you going to come along? Really great Documentary which exposed the exploitation of the workers & the intimidation there families were recieving back home, all in 2004-2005 during the 'Boom' times, one can only imagine that it still goes on today.

Just want to bump this thread up if annyone is looking for a good show at the right price next saturday,

All information on the film is on the home page on the site & info on up and coming films is on the links to the calendar to the right.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Just to let anyone who is interested in going to the showing of the GAMA strike doc showing in mountmellick this weekend, we have Cllr. Mick Murphy attending to give a talk afterwards, Mick was central to establishing contact with the workers intially & progressing the issue when it was met with stone walls & intimidation.

Also, for anyone who wants to read it, here is Micks account of the events as they happened at the time,

Next film up, a provisional date of 10th december has been put on it, this is a truly breathtaking, remarkable 7 year project that has to be seen to be appreciated,
    October 4th, 1982. More than 5000 People
    filled the sold out Radio Music City Hall,
    New York, to experience a remarkable
    film event.
    The event was the world premiere of
    KOYAANISQATSI
    Now you can share that experience.

Just want to give this thread a bump,

The film is one not to be missed, first shown in 1982 in new york & filmed over a 7 year period from 1975 to 1982 across the globe, this is an analysis of mans interelationship with the earth, nature, technology & each other, that still resonates today despite being released almost 30 years ago.

This really is a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience a film in its intended environment, that will challenge your perception of our existence in a world of ubiquitous technological & industrial surroundings.

More information provided on the link below, really hope to see you there for what will be a truly fantastic cinematic experience you will most likeley never get the opportunity to see again, if you could forward this onto anyone you think may also be interested in this event i would be grateful,

Admission is,

€5.00 for Unwaged/OAP's
    €7.50 for waged
    koyaanisqattsi%20for%20web.jpg

Advertisement