Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vendors

• 20-09-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't a hot dog and pretzel vendor do great business in John Roberts Square and add a certain something to the area?

No?

Ok i'll get my hat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

They do really good business in New York and London, I would love one to open up in town. Would be well worth looking into if someone wanted to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

There already is one there doing soft drinks, coffees, cappuccinos, sausage blaas etc so who needs a hot dog when you can have a far superior sausage/rasher blaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That's not a vendor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Its would cost money to get permission for a vendor in town not anyone can just wheel one in i remember talking to someone selling burgers cost per day was massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree, at the very least you'd do very well off the tourists in the summer. I'd say if you did nice ones and became "known" for a decent hot dog you could do well out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Currywurst and cold beers and it might resemble Berlin a little, which would be a good thing I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Wouldn't a hot dog and pretzel vendor do great business in John Roberts Square and add a certain something to the area?

No?

Ok i'll get my hat...

It'd probably make more money at 2am in the morning. I don't think it would add to the area, I think that coffee thing should be removed.

It wouldn't make any money at 2am in John Roberts Square. But you're underestimating how much Waterford people like novelty things. I guarantee that a vendor down in that area would do a great trade down there during the day

It wouldn't make any money at 2am in John Roberts Square. But you're underestimating how much Waterford people like novelty things. I guarantee that a vendor down in that area would do a great trade down there during the day

No I meant down by the Apple Market. Rain is an issue for daytime (and night, but drunk people don't feel rain as much), but then you can wheel it away if its raining for the day and no-one is around.

So you're in then?

• Advertisement

So you're in then?

I'm in so long as the onions are fried (I hate biting into a lump of cold onion in a hot dog).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Reminds me of the horse meat after a feed of beer in Prague.. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

You've gone too far this time abouttobebanned!!

But seriously it this county what starts off as a little hot dog stand all of a sudden it needs running water/hot water, out side seating, somewhere to store outside seating, coffee machine, deserts fridge and a large canopy for some reason and finally permanently fixed to the ground so no one can steal it. Eventually you end up with some thing that wasn't asked for or needed....I call it the Kiosk effect

I think there is definitely a market for a place, somewhere like where First Active or National Irish Bank is/was to have a counter that opens out onto the street. Sort of like the places that sell ice-cream.

Both these places have side windows, so it should be possible.

jayboi wrote: »
    You've gone too far this time abouttobebanned!!

But seriously it this county what starts off as a little hot dog stand all of a sudden it needs running water/hot water, out side seating, somewhere to store outside seating, coffee machine, deserts fridge and a large canopy for some reason and finally permanently fixed to the ground so no one can steal it. Eventually you end up with some thing that wasn't asked for or needed....I call it the Kiosk effect

Nah, just a fella with one of those ones that you can wheel around. I like my town but i also like when it does things that makes it look like a big city, i.e tall ships weekend, spraoi etc. So little things like this that give it the new york effect are all positive as far as im concerned.

However, this is waterford so a number of things would happen.

1. The council would slap them with 213 rules and an extortionate licence and rent cost.
    2. Local restaurants would complain.
    3. Local scumbag kids would run away with the cart...let it hang on the top of patrick street, let it go just as the vendor is about to catch them...they'd kill some poor soul...spend some time in Juvenile detention and get arse pummelled on a nightly basis.

Or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 louloubelle

I now have a constant vision in my head of any kind of a cart sent flyin down patrick st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Local scumbag kids would run away with the cart...let it hang on the top of patrick street, let it go just as the vendor is about to catch them...they'd kill some poor soul...spend some time in Juvenile detention and get arse pummelled on a nightly basis.

I literally laughed out loud at that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can imagine two of the scumbags shooting Kevin Bacon in The Esquire years later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

i think its a nice idea abouttobebanned. but i think restaraunts and stuff probably would kick up. id imagine trade is slow enough as it is. if there was no rent or any of that legal mumbo jumbo twould be nice to have it around of a saturday afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Slightly OT i know. Is there anywhere in town that does a good hot dog?

• Advertisement
Advertisement