Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can u recommend a pub please?

Options
  • 20-09-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Out of touch with city pubs. Not been out in town regularly in a long long time. Looking for something nice for 3 couples this weekend. Comfortable. Not so loud that you must shout to have a conversation, prefer background music. Spacious. Not dank or dingy, so none of the famous pubs on this trip. Stags, Palace bar etc.
    I like Bull and castle but would like to try somewhere new. Any ideas where is nice? Last pub I was at in the city was pigmillion under powerscourt centre. It was nice but too packed and loud later on.
    Ideas?? Thanks. . . ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Either Against the Grain on Wexford Street or L. Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter should fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There are a good few, Houricans Leesons st, Foley's and O'Donohues Merrion row, a couple of good pubs along Camden street like Flannery's and Ryans, Dicey's Garden late bar, the bleeding horse camden street, and Rody Bolands Rathmines, Doheny and Nesbitt Baggot street, The Grand on O'Connell's Street, a good one near grafton street can't remember the name, No Name on Fade Street is good. The Capitol Lower Stephens Street, Aungier Street/South Great Georges Street is good for cocktails but for an old man bar peters pub or the hairy lemon stephen street be good. They are the best I can think of unless you into old man pubs or up market bars!

doovdela wrote: »
    O'Donohues Merrion row ... Dicey's Garden ... the bleeding horse ... The Capitol
    I'd put all these in the "packed and loud" category.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd put all these in the "packed and loud" category.

Have you been to ATG on a Saturday night lately?!

Not since about May. I was sitting upstairs and there was loads of space. Not any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

couple of nice pubs along capel st, Jack nealons, Slatterys and the one that is a kinda music shop,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Cassidys on Camden Street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Duke on Duke street, just off Grafton street.
    Good for meeting up and chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Thomas Read, Brogan's or The Bank on Dame St.

Would second The Duke just off Grafton Street.

McDaids on Harry St however it can get busy.

Keogh's on South Anne Street (although if you consider Stag's Head dingy then this probably won't fit the bill)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Upstairs in the Lord Edward at Christchurch. Grab some Burdocks chips from next door on your way home then :)

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not since about May. I was sitting upstairs and there was loads of space. Not any more?

Maybe it was a freak, but I was there two weeks ago and the place was PACKED to the point of people standing outside!
    Great to see though.

kerash wrote: »
    Cassidys on Camden Street

This.
    Don't know why, but always found this a great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Duke is perfect for the OP. Not too loud, not too packed, just a good all round atmosphere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 appleseed

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Brilliant. Plenty to go on here. Will update next week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I always liked The Library Bar as a nice couple of pints, but must admit that it was usually just to kickstart the evening. Not sure how it would play out if you were to spend the whole night there. But for one or two quiet pints, it would be where I would head in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd always recommend Murphys in Rathmines. Quiet, spacious, armchairs, a fireplace and a waitress service. It doesn't really get better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Some of the bars in hotels are good, and not always expensive. The St. Stephen's Green Hotel, just at the corner of Harcourt Street is good. It is normally fairly quiet, while being down the road from some places where'd you'd be fighting to get to the bar and screaming in an effort to have a simple conversation. So check the hotel bars if you are looking for a quiet drink in a spacious background.

Advertisement