Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

e90 Clutch Judder

• 20-09-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just got my e90 last week and wanted to ask a question:

There is a noticeable judder when going in first gear, and also in second gear.
    It happens when starting from cold mostly and disappears in higher gears.

It also is not present if you rev higher than 1500rpm before setting the gear. Reading around, it seems to be common, and there are a few different fixes:

1. new clutch and flywheel
    2. CDV valve change?
    3. software remap (not too keen on the idle revs being 1200 to be honest).

its an 06 318i with 170k kms.

There is also a slight oil leak in the rocker gasket - can that go on the clutch and cause this? - this will be sorted out id say on thursday.

just wondering if there are people who have experienced this, and if possible, know how much it would cost to change clutch/flywheel or if there were other fixes they sought out and the price?

getting this seen in Chelmsford on Thursday, so i should know more, but its always good to have an idea first.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Rocker cover leak is nothing to worry about and easy fix and wont affect the clutch. Does the e90 have a cdv ? If it does then it could be the culprit - is it a judder or a lurchy gear change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Its a judder - and its basically just from 0 into first gear. you have to rev higher not to get it. Gear changing after first/second is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Sounds like the clutch is slipping.. previous owner was coasting a lot, or what could you expect after 170k?

Both my cars do it.. it doesn't bother me as it only happens now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

I doubt if the clutch is slipping if it engages correctly in all other gears. It would sound more like uneven wear on the clutch plates.

There is a method which may reduce the judder but it is to be ONLY tried at the owners risk! If you have the handbrake fully on and let the clutch 3/4 way out but dont let the engine stall and hold it there for about 10 seconds it should clear off any damp or glaze

It is advisable doing some research online around this before trying it - Im only leaving this comment as a possible help to your problem

i did a little bit of "clutch holding" and it helped. if i rev to just around 1000rpm then let the clutch up, it does not judder. however this is when the car was warm, ill have to try this again in the morning and see if its still doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Glad to hear this has eased it for you

This is quite a common issue on a lot of newer cars. A lot of people have reported that fitting a new clutch & DMF does not always cure the problem. Some dealers have been issued with a bulletin which describes this as not a fault and that the driver should change their driving style to get used to it - not acceptable in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The most common cause I've found over the years of this problem on high mileage cars is that the clutch has been replaced previously.

Reason is the last time the clutch wore it caused damage to the flywheel surface(heat spots, scores etc) and this means the new clutch doesn't have a smooth surface to grip to.

However, if the e90 318i has a dual mass flywheel(can't think off hand), then, at that mileage, it could easily be the arc springs loosing tension.

jeez. so much technical talk. there could be so many possibilities.

It did it this am again on cold. however now i am more on the lookout and if i clutch/accelerate properly at 1000rpm, it doesnt do it.

i am starting to think there is a slight clutch issue but that my driving style makes it much worse.

i am not aware of the clutch having been changed. i am going to ring murphy and gunn and check with them later, it was serviced there until 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I have an 18d 10 x1 that is currently on it's 4th clutch and 2nd fly wheel to get rid of th clutch judder in it. I'm told that BMW will have a fix for this issue in November.

Not acceptable that a new car is having such major parts replaced at just over a year and 30,000km on the clock but at least they are dealing with it and not trying to fob me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I thought the fix for this in the dealers was a software "upgrade" which slightly altered the idle level of the car.

It idles slightly higher with the update so that when the clutch is released it no longer judders.

Apparently happening on very new cars so the cause may not necessarily be parts failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

PaulKK wrote: »
    I thought the fix for this in the dealers was a software "upgrade" which slightly altered the idle level of the car.

It idles slightly higher with the update so that when the clutch is released it no longer judders.

Apparently happening on very new cars so the cause may not necessarily be parts failure.

software upgrade only works on some of them I'm afraid. As I said they have figured where the problem is but it does damage the clutch over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

happens on my car (l200 mits, 30,000k) also - esp on a cold morning. Dealer told me it was clutch and would charge to replace or look at it. i left it off. Prob should of pushed harder to have a resolution. 40k later and still same but no worse. no sign of clutch failing.

It's missing something, accelerating, I can feel slight misses at 2000+ revs. Burning smell and still juddering. I'm pretty sure clutch is gone. I'll know tomorrow exactly what's wrong. I'm hoping it's just the clutch and not including the flywheel, which would cost a bomb.

I called all the places it was serviced at, no massive work and clutch has never been worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

pf85 wrote: »
    I doubt if the clutch is slipping if it engages correctly in all other gears. It would sound more like uneven wear on the clutch plates.

There is a method which may reduce the judder but it is to be ONLY tried at the owners risk! If you have the handbrake fully on and let the clutch 3/4 way out but dont let the engine stall and hold it there for about 10 seconds it should clear off any damp or glaze

It is advisable doing some research online around this before trying it - Im only leaving this comment as a possible help to your problem
    pf85 wrote: »
    Glad to hear this has eased it for you

This is quite a common issue on a lot of newer cars. A lot of people have reported that fitting a new clutch & DMF does not always cure the problem. Some dealers have been issued with a bulletin which describes this as not a fault and that the driver should change their driving style to get used to it - not acceptable in my opinion!

I've had this judder for the past year in an '05 1.9 TDi Passat. Doesn't happen at all in the summer months, but happens in the autumn and winter months mainly and has started to happen again in the last week

I tried this method and works a treat. Do I have to constantly do it? Is there some sort of seal broken that can be replaced?

BTW, I got the clutch and flywheel replace 3 years ago under warranty... The usual DMF failure common in this car!

Update

Gary in Chelmsford had the car for the day yesterday. it went for a service and he had a good go with the clutch. Basically he finds there is nothing wrong with the clutch, its going as well as any other car he has tried and that its a car that is going very well.

Concerning the rocker leak, yes it was there, but coming from/around the vacuum pump that regulates the brakes. This needed to be replaced, as well as a rocker cover. Oil leaking from it was going onto the exhaust, hence the burning smell at times wafting into the cockpit.

That cost a bit to change, but he was quite happy with how the car was (clutch and other things) and it just needed an oil change as a service this time. (and wipers of course!)

That makes me feel better. Basically i need to rev a little bit more than 800rpm before setting off (grandpa driving he says!)

Recommended bloke, he poked and prodded and showed me what was wrong etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Spipov wrote: »
    Recommended bloke, he poked and prodded and showed me what was wrong etc.

Thats good to hear, not nearly enough mechanics out there willing to actually show the customer what they have found.

Advertisement