Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Optic Roll Out

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Was looking on the Eircom website and I can't find anything on the fibre optic rollout?

Any dates or towns of where its being rolled out first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

kiersm wrote: »
    Was looking on the Eircom website and I can't find anything on the fibre optic rollout?

Any dates or towns of where its being rolled out first?

Hi kiersm,

The roll-out is still in the initial stages, there is more information available on:

- www.eircom.net/fibre

We will post any more information as we get it.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Thanks Mark

Can you give me any idea when it will be in Limerick City area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

kiersm wrote: »
    Thanks Mark

Can you give me any idea when it will be in Limerick City area?

Hi kiersm,

We do not have any set dates as yet but when the fibre roll-out team have any new updates we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Hi kiersm,

The roll-out is still in the initial stages, there is more information available on:

- www.eircom.net/fibre

We will post any more information as we get it.

Thanks, Mark

I'm in Wexford Town and, from the map provided, I appear to be borderline for FTTH reception. I don't have an existing landline, but would be interested in switching to fibre.

Also the street where i'm on doesn't allow for Sky or UPC reception due to building obstruction. Magnet supports tv through fibre, and i understand that eircom also have plans for this.

I've logged an expression of interest to see if i can get fibre installed. BTW, were the fibre areas in Wexford arrived at by agreement with the local authority? Will these initial areas be expanded on (in case I am outside the initial trial run!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Hi Mark when will you be taking orders for the fibre in Wexford. Magnet said the 26th is that the same story with eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

druss wrote: »
    I'm in Wexford Town and, from the map provided, I appear to be borderline for FTTH reception. I don't have an existing landline, but would be interested in switching to fibre.

Also the street where i'm on doesn't allow for Sky or UPC reception due to building obstruction. Magnet supports tv through fibre, and i understand that eircom also have plans for this.

I've logged an expression of interest to see if i can get fibre installed. BTW, were the fibre areas in Wexford arrived at by agreement with the local authority? Will these initial areas be expanded on (in case I am outside the initial trial run!)?

Hi druss
    local authorities were certainly involved in the planning of fibre as cables will have to be laid.
    The initial areas covered may be expanded ( as eircom expect to have fibre to approx 1 million homes by 2015) at future dates as this is just the initial roll out, but do not have info specific to this at present.
    Tony

brijay wrote: »
    Hi Mark when will you be taking orders for the fibre in Wexford. Magnet said the 26th is that the same story with eircom?

Hi brijay

yes that is the date, but you can express your interest in the fibre roll out in Wexford here www.eircom.net/fibre
    and you will be contacted re pricing, speds and rollout dates.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Hi druss
    local authorities were certainly involved in the planning of fibre as cables will have to be laid.
    The initial areas covered may be expanded ( as eircom expect to have fibre to approx 1 million homes by 2015) at future dates as this is just the initial roll out, but do not have info specific to this at present.
    Tony

Thanks Tony, fingers crossed that i'm inside the threshold then. (I suppose its far too late to start hounding the LA about this!).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi brijay

yes that is the date, but you can express your interest in the fibre roll out in Wexford here www.eircom.net/fibre
    and you will be contacted re pricing, speds and rollout dates.
    Tony

Hi Tony,
    Is the date still Monday? Still no information on the offering on the holding page and no contact either?

Magnet have pricing and package details and are taking orders on Monday, Eircom are ruling themselves put at the moment!

copacetic wrote: »
    Hi Tony,
    Is the date still Monday? Still no information on the offering on the holding page and no contact either?

Magnet have pricing and package details and are taking orders on Monday, Eircom are ruling themselves put at the moment!

Checking this for you now copacetic, these certainly should be available:o
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

( as eircom expect to have fibre to approx 1 million homes by 2015)

Eh!!!!???!! , are you absolutely sure about this plan Tony.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eh!!!!???!! , are you absolutely sure about this plan Tony.

Hi Sponge Bob
    ha yes my apologies that should have read
    The company intends to serve 100,000 premises by summer 2012 in Phase 1 of a planned multi-year rollout that envisages fibre based services to one million homes and businesses in Ireland in the next 3 four years.

Thanks for bringint that to my attention.
    Tony

copacetic wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Hi copacetic
    At the moment, we’re taking all enquiries through the online expression of interest site... link here
    The eircom fibre broadband options start from €44.99 per month (for speeds up to 25MB) and range up to €74.99 (for speed of 150MB) in Fibre to the Home areas. A dual play digital voice and broadband product will be launched later in the year. All customers who have expressed interest in the service will be contacted in the coming weeks on exact details and availability.
    Hope this helps..
    Tony

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi copacetic
    At the moment, we’re taking all enquiries through the online expression of interest site... link here
    The eircom fibre broadband options start from €44.99 per month (for speeds up to 25MB) and range up to €74.99 (for speed of 150MB) in Fibre to the Home areas. A dual play digital voice and broadband product will be launched later in the year. All customers who have expressed interest in the service will be contacted in the coming weeks on exact details and availability.
    Hope this helps..
    Tony

Thanks Tony, I enquired via the site but haven't been contacted.

Can you confirm any intermediate speed costs? Is there a line rental on top of that cost? It appears that Eircom is €10 a month more for 150MB than Magnet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi Sponge Bob
    ha yes my apologies that should have read
    The company intends to serve 100,000 premises by summer 2012 in Phase 1 of a planned multi-year rollout that envisages fibre based services to one million homes and businesses in Ireland in the next 3 four years.

Thanks for bringint that to my attention.
    Tony

*rubs eyes in disbelief*

Is this going to be solely fibre to the home or is the 1 million figure including fibre to the curb? I'm assuming (and hope) you aren't counting your current NGB offering as fibre in this regards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NGB is fibre to the same old exchange as ever with Ethernet not ATM...that and ADSL2+ Services which is a 2005 era technology.

It is not counted in eircoms 'new' plans which is to push fibre to within 1km of many by 2015 ( not actually in or to the the door save in a few cases).

Of course all of eircoms products are "fibre based services" as Tony can confirm....and have been since around 1999. No access product, not even dialup, failed to transit a fibre at some point.

Advertisement