Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Y/o offered course today..Help needed!

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

So heres the story.

Im a 25 year old electrician I got offered a place on a level 7 degree course starting in year 2 today in Sligo it.

The course coordinator said to drop in and start in the morning..:)

Here's the problem..

I came home from a years travelling in December but didn't sign on until February.
    (I was waiting for a job that didn't go ahead)

By my reading of the BTEA I don't qualify for that a I'm about 50 days short of the required time to be unemployed.

Is there other grants/available to me as I cant really afford to live on fresh air!
    The course fees are no problem but is there any other weekly payment/ maintenance grant available?

I don''t really want to wait around until next year if it can be avoided.

Any advise would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

You might try to see the facilitator in your local social welfare office, they may waiver the days required to qualify for BTEA, worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Yeah I'd go straight into your local welfare and see what the deal is. Tell them look, I've got this course and I NEED funds or I can't do it and I'll have wasted all this time waiting and a place that could have went to someone else yada yada. They should help you with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Also mention the fact youd rather spend a year in college instead of sitting around on the dole for a year instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Exactly, say to them that you can sit around doing nothing on the dole or be on dole or some scheme where you get paid the same and be able to go to college in the meantime. It's stupid for them to refuse you if they look at it that way. Exceptions are usually made, just push them about it.

Advertisement