Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights Question

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I had a problem with my screen on my MacBook Pro laptop in June 2010 and I had to get a new one fitted which cost me e500. Around May of this year the problem came back and I went into the Mac shop in Dublin to ask about a repair. They contacted Apple to see if I could get it repaired for free. A week later they informed me that Apple doesn't cover new parts for anything over 3 months and I had no cover on the screen. This seems very unfair to me, 3 months on a part that cost e500 seems to be crazy! Anyone know if this is legit or are they fobbing me off?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi There,

I had a problem with my screen on my MacBook Pro laptop in June 2010 and I had to get a new one fitted which cost me e500. Around May of this year the problem came back and I went into the Mac shop in Dublin to ask about a repair. They contacted Apple to see if I could get it repaired for free. A week later they informed me that Apple doesn't cover new parts for anything over 3 months and I had no cover on the screen. This seems very unfair to me, 3 months on a part that cost e500 seems to be crazy! Anyone know if this is legit or are they fobbing me off?

Much appreciated

90 day warranties are quite common on service parts which the replacement screen would have been.

Personally I would suggest that there is something else causing the problem due to the fact that two screens have developed the same problem .. could it be a loose cable from the logic board to the screen, dodgy hinge etc ...

Personally I would contact apple directly (rather than the service provider) in the nicest way possible plead your case (make sure you have dates and invoices for the previous work carried out). Knowing how apple operate I would be somewhat confident that you might get a little help from them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would also add you are not making a warranty claim on the screen but on the machine.

Only refer to the purchase of the machine and you rights in relation to that. Not the warranty repair they already carried out, that turned out not to be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi There,

Much appreciated

How old is the machine now and was the problem with the screen in June 2010 caused by you or was it just defective?

Advertisement