Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrots

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya,

I have a big bag of carrots, I dont think I will be able to use them all before they go off

so I was wondering

is it possible to peel them & dice them and then freeze them, raw, in small freezer bags for future use?? or do I need to part cook them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Carrots have a high water content so I'd image that they'd go a bit mushy when defrosted - cooked or raw. What about making carrot soup & then freezing that? Or carrot cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can freeze them but I'd recommend only then using them for cooking in stews or bolognese and the like to prevent the mushyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Carrot soup all the way !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Freeze away i'd say. The resulting carrots won't be good for roasting but still lots of uses, stew, soup, stir fry, mashed up wth other veggies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 saverboy

Freeze???
    OMG, it will reduce the nutrition of the carrot itself
    so dont try that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

saverboy wrote: »
    Freeze???
    OMG, it will reduce the nutrition of the carrot itself
    so dont try that
    :rolleyes:

The carrots are out of the ground, no longer growing. So the nutrients are already ready drastically reduced. Freezing might even lock in what little nutrition they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thanks guys for all your replies/suggestions

The intended use would probably be in stews and bolognase sauce type things

I think Ive decided, I'll do it and whether it works or is a complete disaster I shall let you know

cheers

BBDBB :D

Advertisement