Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropkick Murphys - Vicar St - 9th Feb

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:28pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

DROPKICK MURPHYS
    Live @ Vicar Street,
    Thursday February 9th, 2012

"They're songwriters--and good ones, too, preserving their party-boy reputation while turning out giant, soulful choruses on songs both manicured and memorable." - Rolling Stone

Boston’s hard-working Celtic-punks return with a brilliant new concept album based on the fuctional life of an Irish immigrant with special guest appearance from NOFX’s Big Mike, actor and comedian Lenny Clarke and the one and only Bruce Springsteen!!!

Watch Bruce Springsteen Perform 'Badlands' and 'Shipping Up to Boston' With Dropkick Murphys: http://bit.ly/g46ogz

While pop/rock's pantheon of concept characters is topped by incredible and outlandish characters like Ziggy Stardust and Tommy, the truth is that Cornelius Larkin -- war veteran, working-class hero, and the fictional centrepiece of Dropkick Murphys' seventh studio album, Going Out in Style -- would likely outfight and outdrink them. A concept album, the record tells the story of the life, love, and death of a rough-and-tumble Irish immigrant, even going so far as to include an obituary in the liner notes. Musically, the album doesn’t stray far from the sound the band has developed over the years, which definitely isn’t a bad thing. With their fusion of Celtic and punk, Dropkick Murphys have set themselves far enough apart from the bulk of punk rock that changing anything would feel disingenuous. Instead, the band freshens things up with the bold (and rare) choice of making a punk rock concept album. This narrative element really works for Dropkick Murphys, adding another layer of thematic unity that complements their sonic vision wonderfully. Going Out in Style also finds the band pulling out all the stops with a handful of guests lending their vocals to the band's freewheeling anthems. Comedian and Rescue Me cast member Lenny Clarke drops in on “Going Out in Style” along with NOFX’s Fat Mike and the Living End’s Chris Cheney. The most surprising guest, however, arrives on “Peg o’ My Heart,” where the Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen, shows up to deliver a verse. With its combination of driving Celtic punk and strong narrative, Going Out in Style finds Dropkick Murphys succeeding on multiple levels, delivering an album that’s not only fun to pump your fists and sing along to, but also one that rewards repeated listens with its storytelling, making it an album that’s just as fun through headphones as it is when played at maximum volume in the car.

The hardcore punk/Celtic folk outfit Dropkick Murphys formed in South Boston in 1995; vocalist Mike McColgan, guitarist Rick Barton, and bassist Ken Casey comprised the original nucleus of the group, with a series of drummers passing through the lineup before the addition of Matt Kelly in 1997. After a series of EPs including Fire and Brimstone, Tattoos and Scally Caps, and Boys on the Docks, the Dropkick Murphys signed to Hellcat Records to issue their 1998 full-length Do or Die, produced by Rancid's Lars Frederiksen; McColgan exited the group soon after (he later went on to form the like-minded Street Dogs) and was replaced by vocalist Al Barr for the follow-up, 1999's The Gang's All Here.

Mob Mentality, a split release with the Business, appeared in mid-2000, but at the same time the band was going through an extensive redesign. Their five-piece arrangement expanded into a septet, for Marc Orrell stepped in after original guitarist Rick Barton left the band to get married. James Lynch (guitar), Spicy McHaggis (bagpipes), and Ryan Foltz (mandolin) were also added to the line-up to enhance the band's growling sound. Frederiksen, who produced the band's first two albums, left the Dropkicks to venture out on their own for their third studio effort, Sing Loud, Sing Proud. Bassist Ken Casey took over, and the album, which featured collaborations with ex-Pogue Shane MacGowan and Cock Sparrer's Colin McFaull, was issued in early 2001.

Their Irish pride shone through the next year, when Live on St. Patrick's Day from Boston, MA was released in the summer. Recorded at the biggest Irish-American celebration of the year in a town known for its widespread Irish heritage, the set was a blistering example of their intense and lively gigs. As the band prepped for the annual Vans Warped Tour in summer 2003, they released Blackout in June; the album featured new bagpipe player Scruffy Wallace and accordionist Tim Brennan (who further took over mandolin and tin whistle after Foltz left following some touring). The Murphys reworked the Boston Red Sox anthem "Tessie" on their mid-2004 EP Tessie, which subsequently became the theme song to the Sox's World Series run that year. Warrior's Code followed in 2005, and one of its songs, "I'm Shipping Up to Boston," was later used in the 2006 Martin Scorsese film The Departed. Soon after, the band recorded The Meanest of Times, a collection of songs about family loyalty, featuring guest appearances by Spider Stacy of the Pogues and Ronnie Drew of the Dubliners, released in mid-September 2007. In January 2008, however, Orrell announced his decision to leave the band in order to pursue other projects. Live on Lansdowne, Boston MA, a CD/DVD of tracks culled from 2009's week of St. Patrick's Day shows in Boston, was released in 2010. For their next studio album, the band looked inward to create a concept album, combining their own experiences to create the fictional character Cornelius Larkin. The result was their seventh album, Going Out in Style, which was released in 2011 on their Born & Bred label.

Tickets on sale Thursday September 22nd, 9am, priced €25.90 (including booking fee)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

****e venue, and steep enough ticket price!

Unless they have good openers (which they usually do!) I reckon I'll give them a miss this time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not really steep price. When the played here last time it was the same. Usually Olympia/Vicar St acts are priced roughly around the €25 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Thats not a high ticket price for a touring American band and I like Vicar Street, no bar where band are playing and great view big wide stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

****e venue

Sorry, but you're wrong about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Ye reckon this will be a sell out?

• Advertisement

****e venue, and steep enough ticket price!

Unless they have good openers (which they usually do!) I reckon I'll give them a miss this time.

Support from The Bouncing Souls. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Support from The Bouncing Souls. That'll do.

Seriously!!! Ticket bought.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Seriously!!! Ticket bought.

Yeah, more than happy with that. Never thought I'd get a chance to see them at all.

Does anyone know where the press release in the OP came from? Big Mike? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anyone been on the Balcony in Vicar street, not bothered going on the main floor. Just want to get peoples opinions before getting a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 owendogg

i am not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

There's a reason this band are still playing small venues.

Saw them in the pod and was very disappointed last time back, not sure if the sound let them down that night but thought they'd be kick ass live by now. Far from it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I seen them last time in the Olympia and they were brilliant . Prob gonna give this a miss though since im broke :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,655 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there tics left?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there tics left?

Nope, sold out, and i need a standing too :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Seen them in Berlin on Sunday night and was a great show - great setlist if not too short compared to other gigs on the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Seen them in Berlin on Sunday night and was a great show - great setlist if not too short compared to other gigs on the tour
    Can you tell us the full setlist (with spoiler tags if people wanna be surprised!)

Cant wait for this. I really like the venue, bit of a walk but will be well pumped up by the time I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Hang 'Em High
    The Fighting 69th
    Sunday Hardcore Matinee
    The Gang's All Here
    (F)lannigan's Ball
    Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya
    Going Out In Style
    Deeds Not Words
    Cruel
    Take 'Em Down
    The Warrior's Code
    Boys on the Docks
    Devil's Brigade
    The State of Massachusetts
    Memorial Day
    Broken Hymns
    The Irish Rover
    Peg o'My Heart
    The Auld Triangle
    Encore:
    I'm Shipping Up to Boston
    Kiss Me, I'm ****faced
    Skinhead on the MBTA
    T.N.T.

Sorry aint a clue how to do spoiler tags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

What is the likelihood of a ticket being available on the black market on the night?? How much would you get 1 for?

What is the likelihood of a ticket being available on the black market on the night?? How much would you get 1 for?

Keep an eye out on www.toutless.com and www.adverts.ie, a few have been up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Can't wait!! Gonna be my first time ever seeing them :D

• Advertisement

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Can't wait!! Gonna be my first time ever seeing them :D

Cool, Gimme a shout when ya get there so i can kick ya in the balls as part of the initiation for Dropkick Noobs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Pretty likely. They are called touts, they line the street on the way to the venue, look like scum bags. Also they are the reason that there is so much restrictions on buying tickets legitimately.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cool, Gimme a shout when ya get there so i can kick ya in the balls as part of the initiation for Dropkick Noobs ;)

I don't have any balls so does this mean I get a punch in the boobs :eek:

Actually....will there in general be all that pushing/shoving about craic going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Actually....will there in general be all that pushing/shoving about craic going on?

Ohhhhhhhh ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Last time I was completely covered in bruises the next day, was good craic though. Usually they invite the audience to get on stage with them, so that is always mental.

darryn wrote: »
    Last time I was completely covered in bruises the next day, was good craic though. Usually they invite the audience to get on stage with them, so that is always mental.

Females only, for 'Kiss me i'm shiitfaced'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

scudzilla wrote: »
    Females only, for 'Kiss me i'm shiitfaced'

Yea and then everyone for Skinhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They better play Rocky road to Dublin, they didn't play it last time in the Olympia. Seating for this gig but very much looking forward to it because they are just awesome live.

Ohhhhhhhh ya :pac:

Laaaaaaaaaaaad I'm fookin serious ye better be there to save me from these bruises and stuff. Delicate feicin flower I am!!
    darryn wrote: »

Oh dear Lord :eek:
    Better wear padding then so

• Advertisement

Wow, what a gig

Advertisement