Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you earn a living from horticulture or related areas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

muckyhands wrote: »
    Im a professional horticulturist trained in the Botanic Gardens. Started off with FETAC, then Bsc Horticulture.

It can be monotonous at times but if you have a passion for all things green you wont mind.:)

Working in the fresh air and getting dirty- what more could a girl ask for.:D

No way,small world.
    My girlfriend went to the Botanic Gardens too.Great place indeed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

paddy147 wrote: »
    No way,small world.
    My girlfriend went to the Botanic Gardens too.Great place indeed.:)

It certainly was.:D

It certainly was.:D

Yeah,myself and the girlfriend were only up there in the Botanics,the other day,sitting out in the sunshine with a cuppa tea,enjoying all the flowers and watching some of the students getting outdoor lectures and classes.

Lovely place indeed.:)

The fully restored and refurbed glass houses and hot houses are a work of art too.We had a look in the large hot houses,the size of the bannana plants was unreal 35-40 feet tall.:eek:

But some of the bannanas didnt do too well this year,by the looks of them.

Yeah,myself and the girlfriend were only up there in the Botanics,the other day,sitting out in the sunshine with a cuppa tea,enjoying all the flowers and watching some of the students getting outdoor lectures and classes.

Lovely place indeed.:)

The fully restored and refurbed glass houses and hot houses are a work of art too.We had a look in the large hot houses,the size of the bannana plants was unreal 35-40 feet tall.:eek:

But some of the bannanas didnt do too well this year,by the looks of them.

Its all coming back to me now.;)

Its all coming back to me now.;)

Why,did you spend much time up there yourself,do you still visit there these days??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

ahhh jeez....get a hotel room:p

dardevle wrote: »

For what??

I have a house.

For what??

I have a house

Shouldn't you be doing the dishes or something then?:P

All that your missus does for ya.:D

Shouldn't you be doing the dishes or something then?:P

All that your missus does for ya.:D

Ah shyte,Im busted.

I was thinking of you though,and left the dishes for you,as I know you love doing them.:P
    But they are done now,as someone had to get up and do them,as they werent going to wash themselves.

I'll tell you this much though,that new dishwasher I just got,is the mutts nutts indeed.;):p

So I see and hear you are a professional horticulturalist.:D

not to go off topic but it sounds like you have a lot in common with Paddy147's better half.;)

I,ll give you one thing,you are sharp.;):)

• Advertisement

Ah shyte,Im busted.

I was thinking of you though,and left the dishes for you,as I know you love doing them.:P
    But they are done now,as someone had to get up and do them,as they werent going to wash themselves.

I'll tell you this much though,that new dishwasher I just got,is the mutts nutts indeed.;):p

So I see and hear you are a professional horticulturalist.:D

You wished I did:D

You wished I did:D

All I can say is..............Thank god that the dishes,pots and pans dont have latin names,because Im allready confused the fcuk with regards the way you talk in latin about all the trees,plants and flowers.:D

How the hell you can know and remember all those latin names and even speak that language is beyond me.:eek:

:rolleyes:
    All I can say is..............Thank god that the dishes,pots and pans dont have latin names,because Im allready confused the fcuk with regards the way you talk in latin about all the trees,plants and flowers.:D

How the hell you can know and remember all those latin names and even speak that language is beyond me.:eek:

What can I say!

At least you know what a pot and a pan and a dish is:rolleyes::P

So anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

You never answered my question on the other thread. What's the deal with all your posts starting and ending with ....... ?

Pretty retarded!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

s8n wrote: »
    You never answered my question on the other thread. What's the deal with all your posts starting and ending with ....... ?

Pretty retarded!!!
    :(

...so how do you earn/propose to earn a living from horticulture or related areas?

Im not one to judge on how people post (I have bad spelling alot of the time),but it hardly matters what or how a person starts and ends a post,when they are giving out advice.

Surely the advice is the most important part of the post.

Just my 2 cents worth though.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

It is tough, profit margins are at about 7-11% if you are lucky. Massive investment needed to gear-up (we have €500k + of equipment). Between insurance, transport, plant, equipment, wages, rent, tax, vat the list goes on and on..... but you know what? It does not matter, dont worry about above, just get on with it. You "will" make mistakes, you will under quote, and you will do jobs at a loss, but its all about learning. know one can really teach you the gut feeling. In any journey it all starts with a first step. Are you afraid of failure? I am too!
    There has never being a better time to start a new business than now. If you can make it now, you will be in such a strong position when the up-turn gets stronger. i personally think we have turned the corner, wages are manageable, rents are realistic and government here and abroad are awake to new business.
    So to answer your question, yes it is possible to make a living, but its tough. For self employed its not a 9-5 job. You WILL work like you never have before for any employer, cause if you dont, the only person you are letting down is yourself.
    Regards
    Ps I am having fun again in business (you have to love what you do)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Corsendonk wrote: »
    :D First you started on landscape gardeners then moved it to the price of fruit and veg and poor customer service. There is always room for improvement in every sector.

I know when I'm beat ..

Advertisement