Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alliance Francaise Courses 5th year/ LC

• 20-09-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I was just wondering if there is anybody that has done the LC and 5th year Alliance Courses in Dublin? I am in 5th year now and really want to improve my french -- especially the oral and aural part! I really want an A1 in the LC because I am potentially thinking of studying French at third level! So are these courses good for oral french? Or is there some place else? Going to France for me isn't an option and neither is French college! so this is my only option! Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I was just wondering if there is anybody that has done the LC and 5th year Alliance Courses in Dublin? I am in 5th year now and really want to improve my french -- especially the oral and aural part! I really want an A1 in the LC because I am potentially thinking of studying French at third level! So are these courses good for oral french? Or is there some place else? Going to France for me isn't an option and neither is French college! so this is my only option! Thanks for any advice!
    I'm in 5th year now and I did a course during the summer. I thought it was hood and I did learn a lot but a lot of that was getting back what I'd lost from TY. We did oral stuff like reading and asking questions etc so that was good but what I didn't like was that we didn't do anything for the Leaving really. We did hobbies, family etc and some verbs whereas I would have rathered more exam stuff.
    I did think it was good though. I might do another course at Christmas to improve my oral. You could try Leeson Street either if it's more for exams you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I'm in 5th year now and I did a course during the summer. I thought it was hood and I did learn a lot but a lot of that was getting back what I'd lost from TY. We did oral stuff like reading and asking questions etc so that was good but what I didn't like was that we didn't do anything for the Leaving really. We did hobbies, family etc and some verbs whereas I would have rathered more exam stuff.
    I did think it was good though. I might do another course at Christmas to improve my oral. You could try Leeson Street either if it's more for exams you want.

Thank you. I would try Leeson street except it is so much more expensive for a shorter class time...and it's really just the oral stuff I want to improve! Did you have to do an assessment before you got a place on the course? I would have to do one this Saturday and I have no idea what to revise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I did a course in the Alliance during the summer just gone (in 6th Year now), found it really helpful. Just reinforcing stuff I already knew really, but I suppose that's what language is all about.

Just to mention - you don't need an A1 in the LC to study a language at third level. A C3 will do for entry to the course AFAIK.

Though I guess having an A1 standard would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Superbus wrote: »
    I did a course in the Alliance during the summer just gone (in 6th Year now), found it really helpful. Just reinforcing stuff I already knew really, but I suppose that's what language is all about.

Just to mention - you don't need an A1 in the LC to study a language at third level. A C3 will do for entry to the course AFAIK.

Though I guess having an A1 standard would help.

Thanks! Yeah...I know I don't need the A1 - its more of a case of I would really really like an A1. And besides, Music and French in Trinity (the course I would like to do) was 540 pts this year so at that rate I do really need the A1! Thanks though for mentioning it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Did it last year, wasn't that great but that was prob just me! Staff/place are/is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thank you. I would try Leeson street except it is so much more expensive for a shorter class time...and it's really just the oral stuff I want to improve! Did you have to do an assessment before you got a place on the course? I would have to do one this Saturday and I have no idea what to revise!

If you want oral stuff then I'd say Alliance. Leeson Street is more notes while Alliance has an emphasis on oral. I think there's an oral day in Leeson Street sometime too that's meant to be good.
    I didn't have to do an interview, I think that's if you are doing a class every week. When are you thinking of doing it? If it's weekly classes then I'm pretty sure you need the interview. It's just a test to see your level so you're not in a class to easy or hard for you. I'd say probably just go over yourself, hobbies etc. Basic stuff really I'd say and verbs if there is a written part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Is that bollix Henri still teaching there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I know someone who did them for JC in Kilkenny, said it was useless.

Advertisement