Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

to start me farming talk "the land is awhfully wet"

• 20-09-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I mean its flooding on the flat plains.
    I let me 3 new bullocks out but up on to a hillside. . .

I have lovely after grass but it would be in muck in 3 days. . very very soft. .

how is everyone doing with such a wet Aug/Sept. ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

tis a mess...... loads of grass and cows with 5 mouths :(:(:(
    we weaned off the calves were keeping on,
    the cows are in for a few days and will go out to rough ground, calves with the unweaned cows/calves for a week then we will pull them off to a seperate bit of gound for until housing

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bealaha

I mean its flooding on the flat plains.
    I let me 3 new bullocks out but up on to a hillside. . .

I have lovely after grass but it would be in muck in 3 days. . very very soft. .

how is everyone doing with such a wet Aug/Sept. ???

currently were d dead opposite 2 ya down here in cork sufferin drought conditions for da past month, currently feedin d milkers sum round bales out in da field in order not to shorten the rotation too much. the rain last week was a saviour 2 us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

bealaha wrote: »
    currently were d dead opposite 2 ya down here in cork sufferin drought conditions for da past month, currently feedin d milkers sum round bales out in da field in order not to shorten the rotation too much. the rain last week was a saviour 2 us.

Tis well for some:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

bealaha wrote: »

Huge contrast across the country in terms of rainfall since the start of May - the almost constant Westerlies over the last 5 months have meant that the West and North have been hammered while the South and East have been quiet dry(after a very dry winter/spring). The level of the lakes here is now quiet worrying and the worst I've seen since the mid 90's:eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The level of the lakes here is now quiet worrying and the worst I've seen since the mid 90's:eek::(

Worryingly low from midlands toward east coast. Recent rain had minimum impact, although I notice some significant rises depending on local downpours and catchment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I can safely say that Connemara is considerably over supplied with wet stuff should we ever decide to build a water pipeline to the drought stricken East.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Disaster here in Kerry. Places swimmin. A good month too early... (And don't even mention the football)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

on the flat plains.

On the flat plains indeed... sound like an impressive spread of land when you put it like that...:p

We're swamped here in Cavan.. our lower lying fields are sodden and even the light cattle are starting to have an impression.. We had rushes cut and regrown, fields grazed back but it's too wet now to go out and weed-lick :mad:

Smaller stock have access to bedded sheds for nights and they're lying in every night....

Looking like a long winter unless there is a supprise dry spell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

bbam wrote: »
    On the flat plains indeed... sound like an impressive spread of land when you put it like that...:p

We're swamped here in Cavan.. our lower lying fields are sodden and even the light cattle are starting to have an impression.. We had rushes cut and regrown, fields grazed back but it's too wet now to go out and weed-lick :mad:

Smaller stock have access to bedded sheds for nights and they're lying in every night....

Looking like a long winter unless there is a supprise dry spell..

A good dry frosty spell will be coming soon enough if the last 2 winters were anything to go by!!...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Still a few fields of barley to be cut around here, grazing ground holding up ok still.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

blue5000 wrote: »
    Still a few fields of barley to be cut around here, grazing ground holding up ok still.
    Same round here. Perfect august for me really. Just enough rain without too much any day.

The later set barley is looking a bit sorry though. And still a few acres waiting for the baler but a lot picked up monday and yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

good god bealaha what part of cork are you in .i am in west cork and we are nearly washed away down here. like the band wet wet wet .:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bealaha

good god bealaha what part of cork are you in .i am in west cork and we are nearly washed away down here. like the band wet wet wet .:eek::eek:

in east cork, just 2 shock ye altogether, we love wet summers down here!!! very limestony + gravelly land down ere, so we burn quite easily!!!

Advertisement