Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park main road closed for up to 3 months

• 20-09-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0920/phoenixpark.html
    A large section of the main thoroughfare in the Phoenix Park is to be closed for up to three months from the beginning of October to allow for the reconstruction of the roadway.

Major traffic disruption is expected as almost the entire length of Chesterfield Avenue will be closed to traffic.

The road is used by over 20,000 vehicles a day.

It has not weathered well during the recent harsh winters and despite a temporary resurfacing measure earlier this year, it has a large number of cracks, bumps and potholes.

The Office of Public Works is to carry out a €3m reconstruction project on the road which will begin on 3 October.

However that will involve closing the road from the Gough Roundabout near the Parkgate Street entrance to the Mountjoy Roundabout beside the Castleknock Gate.

A one-way system will be put in place inside the park which will essentially turn it into a large roundabout.

The road closure is likely to cause major traffic disruption and inconvenience some park users.

The reconstruction project is due to last about 12 weeks and the road should be reopened by Christmas.

The full traffic management plan will be published in the coming days.

The Minister of State at with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Brian Hayes, has insisted that the road works are necessary.

"Chesterfield Avenue was never designed to take the volume and weight of traffic that it does and the condition of the road has been a cause of increasing concern," Mr Hayes said.

"The extreme weather conditions experienced in recent years have exacerbated the situation. While the surface degradation was the most immediate and evident sign of the problems prevailing, surveys confirmed that the underlying cause was with the substructure of the road and, in order to address the problem properly, work to the substructure is required.

"Works to achieve the necessary substantive repair and reconstruction of the most damaged areas of the road have been tendered and the contract has just been placed."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Road needs rebuilding if they're going to leave the park open for traffic. The resurfacing done so it didn't look a mess for Lizzy II was very temporary in nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Time to dust off the bicycle....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Will it still be open to cyclists? (I hope so as I cycle through it every day and don't fancy cycling down Blackhorse Avenue as it's in an even worse state than Chesterfield Ave!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fletch wrote: »
    Will it still be open to cyclists? (I hope so as I cycle through it every day and don't fancy cycling down Blackhorse Avenue as it's in an even worse state than Chesterfield Ave!)
    There are parallel cycle paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Indeed, the cycle lanes are some distance from the roadway so I can't see why they would be affected at all

• Advertisement

Last time at one point you had to dismount get through a barrier heading to Farmleigh. Just because the barriers were badly placed. Perhaps this time they'll be a bit more careful about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Oh sweet lord.

Once again they wait for the busiest time of the year to do this instead of the quiet summer months. Probably going to be a load of bad weather which will delay it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Wonder will we see parking bays and meters appear at the city end of the Park?

Off topic, given the size of the USA Ambassadors residence, why do they always land the helicopters outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

The plan dosn't look that bad. I think they should have reinstated the road in front of St. Mary's Hospital for the closure, make the city-bound route more direct and quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BostonB wrote: »
    Oh sweet lord.

Once again they wait for the busiest time of the year to do this instead of the quiet summer months. Probably going to be a load of bad weather which will delay it further.

The process had to go out to tender which happened during the summer. Before that they had to find the funds to do it.

This is a complete rebuild of the main road which is totally needed - putting in proper foundations to cope with traffic it was never designed for.

If the suggestion this is the best, or the only way to do this, then I don't agree.

They could have done one section first then the other section. They could also have expedited the tender process to get it done in the quiet summer months. Or delayed it till next spring.

Having the roads in tatters 1) is better then being closed for almost half a year. 2) its been like that for years, and we've survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The Summer months are not the quietest for the parks main business of being a park.

People have been whining about the roads in the park for years. Now that it is being fixed people are still not happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

1. The road outside St.Mary's has always been in use.

2. What is new, however, is that Military Road (outside the Magazine Fort) and Khyber Road .. the deep road in the cutting are both being re-opened for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

monument wrote: »

Did you notice that the traffic in going counter clockwise meaning that in order to get into the roundabout traffic will have to cross other traffic by making a right hand turn.

TO my meager intellect it would have been more logical to take the traffic clockwise so only left hand turns would be needed and no crossing traffic required. But I guess that's why i'm not a road engineer.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The Summer months are not the quietest for the parks main business of being a park.

People have been whining about the roads in the park for years. Now that it is being fixed people are still not happy?

The business of being a park is hardly effected. So that's irrelevant.

People seem to find it hard grasp that this is a major road. 20k cars a day on a single lane. Compare this to the M50 bridge of 90k cars a day on 3 or 4 lanes on a motorway. Its not like there are any other options for D.15 into city center either. Two very narrow old roads, Blackhorse ave, or Chapelizod. The Navan road should be the main route really, but its completely ruined as they reduced it from two down to a single lane, for the bus lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

The business of being a park is hardly effected. So that's irrelevant.

People seem to find it hard grasp that this is a major road. 20k cars a day on a single lane. Compare this to the M50 bridge of 90k cars a day on 3 or 4 lanes on a motorway. Its not like there are any other options for D.15 into city center either. Two very narrow old roads, Blackhorse ave, or Chapelizod. The Navan road should be the main route really, but its completely ruined as they reduced it from two down to a single lane, for the bus lanes.

You're failing to grasp that it's a park first and foremost! :)

The business of the park being a park and hosting the country's main zoo would be affected more if the work was done in the summer. Given that lots of people get to the park using coaches, cars, and the tour buses, I'm baffled at how you think you can dispute that the business of being a park would be more affected if the work was done in its busy season.

As for options: There's two traffic routes directly towards town (even if one is partly a minor road), there's other routes via the M50, there's the train and the (soon-to-be-better) buses, and there's cycling. You'll have to try again if you're claiming there's no other options.

Also a bit of responsibility has to be taken by the people who moved out to the areas around D15 and even beyond and Fingal for allowing such car centric development. BTW in saying that I would exclude people in and around Hansfield who are still waiting for access to their train station.

Anyway, the way you're talking you'd think they were closing the park's main road when they are upgrading it for the commuting traffic.

myself69 wrote: »

Repaving it wouldn't be worth it for the time saving distance and opening up more junctions around there could hinder the flow around the park.

You're failing to grasp that it's a park first and foremost! :)

The business of the park being a park and hosting the country's main zoo would be affected more if the work was done in the summer. Given that lots of people get to the park using coaches, cars, and the tour buses, I'm baffled at how you think you can dispute that the business of being a park would be more affected if the work was done in its busy season.

All the places the tour buses go, and park, like Visitor center, aras an uachtarain, Popes cross and the Zoo aren't effected by the road closures. You can get to them all, and park in their car parks, all, same as you ever could. I suspect you don't actually use these places or you'd have known that. You can get to all the football pitches, or the usual places people run, walk etc. NONE of that is effected. Ditto the playground etc. What bit of the park you'd use as a park or a visitor or as a family can you not get to?
    As for options: There's two traffic routes directly towards town (even if one is partly a minor road), there's other routes via the M50, there's the train and the (soon-to-be-better) buses, and there's cycling. You'll have to try again if you're claiming there's no other options.

Well you'd got to consider the past debacles. Considering anytime they've closed traffic access in the park in any major way, like the one way system for the Blackhorse Ave roadworks, or the snow last year, caused absolute mayhem, with tailbacks of hours. It pretty obvious the issue is the capacity of the other road options, and the increase in journey times. The other roads simply can't handle that amount of traffic.

It very simplistic to think everyone can hop on a bicycle, bus or train. I'm lucky that I can, use all three. But then even though I cycle from D15 to D4, I can only do it a couple of times a week at most. I can use bus and trains some of the time but then it adds at minimum an hour a day to my commute. So 5 hours a week extra just sitting on a bus or standing on a train. Assuming that of course, I'm just doing a standard journey into town and back. Last week, I had numerous stops to do, and it would have taken 3 or 4 hours a day on public transport vs a car. If somes ones ill, like, fighting a chest infection, standing on open platforms, for hours waiting for trains isn't going to be an option either.
    Also a bit of responsibility has to be taken by the people who moved out to the areas around D15 and even beyond and Fingal for allowing such car centric development. BTW in saying that I would exclude people in and around Hansfield who are still waiting for access to their train station.

Anyway, the way you're talking you'd think they were closing the park's main road when they are upgrading it for the commuting traffic.

I completely agree with you about planning, but that's a national failure, not unique to D.15.

But its hard to plan for utter stupidity. They've a habit of closing roads, that they don't actually need to. They closed parts of the park for the Blackhorse Ave works, when it didn't actually effect the park at all. Completely pointless. They closed the castle knock stretch and gate for considerable amounts of time when there was no work being done at all. So they've no track record in doing things with common sense. Why are they closing the whole main road in one go. Its open in the middle at the Phoenix monument anyway. So they are going to do it two halves. Perhaps they intend doing both simultaneously, hence it makes sense. But I suspect they only work on limited stretches at a time. But only doing half of it at a time would be much less disruptive and give them more options with traffic flows.

But these less traffic everywhere these days. Maybe it won't be so bad, and they do a super job. Lets wait and see.

Repaving it wouldn't be worth it for the time saving distance and opening up more junctions around there could hinder the flow around the park.

Why repave it? I remember when it used to be open, and it has the same surface it had back then. It used to be handy to avoid the tailback from people going out that gate when it was open, or going down the military road when that was open.

Last few times they've closed of parts of the park, its made commuting on the bike much nicer. Hopefully it will be the same this time. Though I use the Kyber rd when on the bike, I'm not sure that will still be an option if cars are using it.

Did you even look at the map? All the places the tour buses go, and park, like Visitor center, aras an uachtarain, Popes cross and the Zoo aren't effected by the road closures. You can get to them all, and park in their car parks, all, same as you ever could. I suspect you don't actually use these places or you'd have known that. You can get to all the football pitches, or the usual places people run, walk etc. NONE of that is effected. Ditto the playground etc. What bit of the park you'd use as a park or a visitor or as a family can you not get to?

Yeah, but the closure of the main avenue will have some of the same affects on visitors as it will on commuters -- adding to congestion, limiting where cars and buses can go and in what direction they can travel, and limit car parking in the park.

I cycle to the park, so I'm not thinking about my self but those who drive or who are driven. :)

Well you'd got to consider the past debacles. Considering anytime they've closed traffic access in the park in any major way, like the one way system for the Blackhorse Ave roadworks, or the snow last year, caused absolute mayhem, with tailbacks of hours. It pretty obvious the issue is the capacity of the other road options, and the increase in journey times. The other roads simply can't handle that amount of traffic.

Short term affects and long term results are different things and one does not automatically lead to the other.

Here's a video on motorway or highway removal --http://www.streetfilms.org/mba-highway-removal/

People adapt. More would cycle and there would be a greater demand for public transport.

And if you want to talk about capacity, the people moving capacity is more important -- for example the bus lane on the Navan Road will have a higher capacity for moving people than the normal traffic lane next to it.

It very simplistic to think everyone can hop on a bicycle, bus or train. I'm lucky that I can, use all three. But then even though I cycle from D15 to D4, I can only do it a couple of times a week at most. I can use bus and trains some of the time but then it adds at minimum an hour a day to my commute. So 5 hours a week extra just sitting on a bus or standing on a train. Assuming that of course, I'm just doing a standard journey into town and back. Last week, I had numerous stops to do, and it would have taken 3 or 4 hours a day on public transport vs a car. If somes ones ill, like, fighting a chest infection, standing on open platforms, for hours waiting for trains isn't going to be an option either.

It's a good thing then that I don't think everyone can hop on a bicycle, bus or train. But it's highly simplistic to claim that far more people can't.

Sometimes the people who do the right thing -- as you do -- are the worst people to look at the wider picture. If more people would only do what you do there's be far less congestion.
    I completely agree with you about planning, but that's a national failure, not unique to D.15.

Around Dublin I think D15 is quite a good example of poor car centric planning made even worse by small roads between it and the city with no room to expand them.

Why repave it? I remember when it used to be open, and it has the same surface it had back then. It used to be handy to avoid the tailback from people going out that gate when it was open, or going down the military road when that was open.

Maybe muck and other dirt made it look worse than it is when I've passed it, but it does not look the best. Anyway, as I said, opening more junctions may not be the best for traffic flow and there would be a very limited distance or tie benefit.

• Advertisement

UN agency to be asked to designate Phoenix Park as world heritage site
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0923/1224304576771.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BrianD wrote: »
    Off topic, given the size of the USA Ambassadors residence, why do they always land the helicopters outside?
    Most likely for security reasons.

Yeah, but the closure of the main avenue will have some of the same affects on visitors as it will on commuters -- adding to congestion, limiting where cars and buses can go and in what direction they can travel, and limit car parking in the park.

Off peak there isn't congestion in the park. Its purely at peak times. Visitors I assume don't generally go visiting at 8am, or 6pm in the evening. I generally commute off peak, and have no issue going through the park at all.
    I cycle to the park, so I'm not thinking about my self but those who drive or who are driven. :)

Short term affects and long term results are different things and one does not automatically lead to the other.

Here's a video on motorway or highway removal --http://www.streetfilms.org/mba-highway-removal/

People adapt. More would cycle and there would be a greater demand for public transport.

I can only talk about my direction experience of past road closures in the park.

I cycle but it certainly took me a quite while to build up the gear, and the distance to cycle a few times a week. I think its a tad unrealistic for large amounts of people to start cycling from nothing to 5 days a week in all weathers. Thats assuming they have secure parking for a bike at work, and a shower or changing facilities.
    And if you want to talk about capacity, the people moving capacity is more important -- for example the bus lane on the Navan Road will have a higher capacity for moving people than the normal traffic lane next to it.

In my experience the public transport doesn't have capacity at peak either. I could count on my hands the number of times I get a seat on a train at peak times, in 20yrs of using them.
    It's a good thing then that I don't think everyone can hop on a bicycle, bus or train. But it's highly simplistic to claim that far more people can't.

Good thing I didn't then :)
    Sometimes the people who do the right thing -- as you do -- are the worst people to look at the wider picture. If more people would only do what you do there's be far less congestion.

Around Dublin I think D15 is quite a good example of poor car centric planning made even worse by small roads between it and the city with no room to expand them.

Maybe muck and other dirt made it look worse than it is when I've passed it, but it does not look the best. Anyway, as I said, opening more junctions may not be the best for traffic flow and there would be a very limited distance or tie benefit.

Well no arguments about poor planning from me. No idea about traffic flow, I'm just not impressed with past decisions in that regard.

Maybe it will be fine. Soon it will be too expensive to drive anyway.

UN agency to be asked to designate Phoenix Park as world heritage site
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0923/1224304576771.html

Sorry but that piece is a more alarmist drivel from the OPW. They could help cyclists out by fixing the woeful design of the cycle lanes and junctions they put in. But the Park is the best bit of my commute on the bike. AFAIK there isn't a single cycle lane from D.15 into the Park. Start with that.

To take cars out of the park they need to work out were people are going that are passing through. Then promote better ways of doing those journeys. Park and ride to the Navan Rd Parkway or something. Tourist, train narrow guage though the park. Cycle pit stop facilities in the middle of the park.

Not just close roads and turn the other way to the chaos it causes.

The traffic and parking restrictions would still hinder park users more if the work was done in the summer. And, yes, in the summer you can see a good deal of people using the park between 5pm-7pm.
    I cycle but it certainly took me a quite while to build up the gear, and the distance to cycle a few times a week. I think its a tad unrealistic for large amounts of people to start cycling from nothing to 5 days a week in all weathers. Thats assuming they have secure parking for a bike at work, and a shower or changing facilities.

Yes, these things take time...
    Sorry but that piece is a more alarmist drivel from the OPW. They could help cyclists out by fixing the woeful design of the cycle lanes and junctions they put in. But the Park is the best bit of my commute on the bike. AFAIK there isn't a single cycle lane from D.15 into the Park. Start with that.

To take cars out of the park they need to work out were people are going that are passing through. Then promote better ways of doing those journeys. Park and ride to the Navan Rd Parkway or something. Tourist, train narrow guage though the park. Cycle pit stop facilities in the middle of the park.

Not just close roads and turn the other way to the chaos it causes.

I'm not sure how it's alarmist drivel given that they plan to keep the main avenue open for the mid to long term, and only restrict through traffic outside of peak times -- in the evening and at weekends.

The traffic and parking restrictions would still hinder park users more if the work was done in the summer. And, yes, in the summer you can see a good deal of people using the park between 5pm-7pm.

Doesn't sound like you use the park to be honest. In the summer there aren't traffic problems. So the road works would have a vastly less impact on everyone. But its irrelevant to "Park users" or "visitors" aren't effected by these roadworks. All the car parks are open, all the facilities are open and accessible. You can still drive into the park and go for a walk, run, go the zoo same as always etc.
    I'm not sure how it's alarmist drivel given that they plan to keep the main avenue open for the mid to long term, and only restrict through traffic outside of peak times -- in the evening and at weekends.

The drivel about cyclists. Heavy traffic doesn't force you into conflict. Its the dire layout of the cycle lanes. Your at a greater risk from cycling into a ninja dog walker or jogger on the cycle path. because the cycle path is on the wrong place to begin with and does something different at every roundabout. Takes you off it, spits you into it, does nothing etc.

Charging 2 or 3 euro a car into the park would solve a lot of problems and would begin to fund some sort of a decent alternative.

Here's the Conservation Management Plan.

Under access, this is an interesting claim by the OPW:

The Phoenix Park is also a public place within the meaning of the Road Traffic Acts. As such, An Garda Siochána has a key role in enforcing traffic regulations and in the preservation of order within the Park.

Doesn't sound like you use the park to be honest. In the summer there aren't traffic problems. So the road works would have a vastly less impact on everyone. But its irrelevant to "Park users" or "visitors" aren't effected by these roadworks. All the car parks are open, all the facilities are open and accessible. You can still drive into the park and go for a walk, run, go the zoo same as always etc.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this... I still maintain park users would be more affected over the summer months, and I'm not the only one who thinks this.

The drivel about cyclists. Heavy traffic doesn't force you into conflict. Its the dire layout of the cycle lanes. Your at a greater risk from cycling into a ninja dog walker or jogger on the cycle path. because the cycle path is on the wrong place to begin with and does something different at every roundabout. Takes you off it, spits you into it, does nothing etc.

While I strongly agree that the cycle tracks are of poor design and park rangers need to go back to asking people not to walk on the cycle tracks (which worked to some extent before they were told to stop doing so), the Conservation Management Plan is speaking genially about conflicts and not only or mainly about the roads with cycle tracks.

...We're not going to see eye to eye on this... I still maintain park users would be more affected over the summer months, and I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I'm not arguing with you. Its just you've not not not offered any reason why they would be affected. There's no traffic in the summer and all the car parks and facilities are open. So the only real issue is those that park on the main road (something they want to stop in their plan) would have to park somewhere else and walk 2 mins further.
    While I strongly agree that the cycle tracks are of poor design and park rangers need to go back to asking people not to walk on the cycle tracks (which worked to some extent before they were told to stop doing so), the Conservation Management Plan is speaking genially about conflicts and not only or mainly about the roads with cycle tracks.

What conflicts? Where theres no cycle lane you stay on the road same as you would anywhere else. TBH its easier to stay on the road when using the junctions anyway. When theres a tailbacks, you simply sail past the queue.

The only people I'd imagine who are effected by traffic, are those doing serious road cycle training. The park isn't idea for that that anyway, because of the walkers and dogs who walk out in front of you. Its a very vague plan, and flawed in so many ways. The OPW don't want cars in the park, in reality thats their only plan. Everything else is smoke and mirrors to achieve that. Thats the only think that explains their actions over the years. Most people take these offical plans and reports are face value without actually examining the details. When you do they are often, very insubstantial on facts.

They actually need a proper ring road system around the park, with cycle access from the surrounding roads. Or as trellheim says make people choose not to use the park by using a toll, or as OPW do just cause traffic mayhem at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

What conflicts? Where theres no cycle lane you stay on the road same as you would anywhere else. TBH its easier to stay on the road when using the junctions anyway. When theres a tailbacks, you simply sail past the queue.

The only people I'd imagine who are effected by traffic, are those doing serious road cycle training. The park isn't idea for that that anyway, because of the walkers and dogs who walk out in front of you. Its a very vague plan, and flawed in so many ways. The OPW don't want cars in the park, in reality thats their only plan. Everything else is smoke and mirrors to achieve that. Thats the only think that explains their actions over the years. Most people take these offical plans and reports are face value without actually examining the details. When you do they are often, very insubstantial on facts.

They actually need a proper ring road system around the park, with cycle access from the surrounding roads. Or as trellheim says make people choose not to use the park by using a toll, or as OPW do just cause traffic mayhem at every opportunity.

What conflicts? Cars speeding and overtaking in silly places around the smaller roads in the park.

But it's generally accepted that higher traffic volumes discourages people from cycling (and cycling) at all or more than they currently do -- those least affected by this are already cycling.

Large cities around the world have started to close roads or parts of large roads regularly at weekends and some less regularly at different times, to open the spaces to people walking and cycling. I don't see the big deal in a park doing this outside of peak commuting times.

That seems an entirely different problem, to what mentioned in that piece,

“At times of heavy traffic, particular safety issues arise for pedestrians crossing Chesterfield Avenue and also on the North or Back Road,” the plan says. “Cyclists are often forced out into heavy traffic at these times, creating unacceptable levels of conflict.”"

The North Rd has a cycle lane. Even at peak times, that road isn't bumper to bumper because of the 4 billion ramps on it. So speeds are slow, and theres gaps. I dunno what road is Back road. Is there even a road called Back road?

"Cars speeding and overtaking in silly places around the smaller roads in the park". I don't disagree with you on this, because you do see this. But the only way to fix that is enforcement of the laws. Or ban cars completely peak and off peak. Since it happens at all times. Congested traffic moves slower anyway.

Closing the park off peak is irrelevant to this discussion. Since going around the park isn't an issue off peak. They often close roads for races and the like off peak already. Summer Biathlon series for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

What they should do while fixing the main road in phoenix park, is put a tunnel underneath the road for a rail line, from castleknock, so eventually it could join the dart underground line from heuston to connolly/pearse/docklands...

worst case is they would have another tunnel under the park that IE dont use..

It looks like Back Road is another name for North Road.
    "Cars speeding and overtaking in silly places around the smaller roads in the park". I don't disagree with you on this, because you do see this. But the only way to fix that is enforcement of the laws. Or ban cars completely peak and off peak. Since it happens at all times. Congested traffic moves slower anyway.

It's a larger problem off peak given that congested traffic moves slower. As well as closing most roads off peak and at weekends, they also seem to be talking about further restrictions on north / south traffic -- which may partly mean closing off more roads.

Closing the park off peak is irrelevant to this discussion. Since going around the park isn't an issue off peak. They often close roads for races and the like off peak already. Summer Biathlon series for example.

Sorry, the way you were talking about the OPW being against traffic, I wrongly presumed you had a problem with closing it to traffic off peak.

petronius wrote: »
    What they should do while fixing the main road in phoenix park, is put a tunnel underneath the road for a rail line, from castleknock, so eventually it could join the dart underground line from heuston to connolly/pearse/docklands...

worst case is they would have another tunnel under the park that IE dont use..

While I like the concept. Not sure thats feasible.

How about a Luas loop that takes in the park?

I...It's a larger problem off peak given that congested traffic moves slower. As well as closing most roads off peak and at weekends, they also seem to be talking about further restrictions on north / south traffic -- which may partly mean closing off more roads.

Not with you. Whats a larger problem? Personally I prefer cycling in heavy traffic. It moves slow and is more predictable. Other than no traffic. Thats obviously better again.
    Sorry, the way you were talking about the OPW being against traffic, I wrongly presumed you had a problem with closing it to traffic off peak.

Not at all just do it when there's least disruption (to traffic). To me thats summer time.Closing the road doesn't really impact recreational use of the park at all. No matter when you do it. Well thats my opinion. I've been wrong before. :D

• Advertisement

Not with you. Whats a larger problem? Personally I prefer cycling in heavy traffic. It moves slow and is more predictable. Other than no traffic. Thats obviously better again.

I'm saying speeding etc is a larger problem outside of peak times.

True but again not really central to the issue of closing the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

I just hope the traffic on the N3 is not affected...that much.
    Remember for years the traffic was always backed up to the Half way house:(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

IMO this should have been done in the summer. Bad weather will extend the duration of roadworks. People will bring their cars when the weather gets worse. Not to mind when the he snow and ice comes and chapelizod hill will be closed. One less way of getting home. Fun times :rolleyes:

Last time they closed all the roads in the park except the main road. Won't have that option this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

trellheim wrote: »
    Charging 2 or 3 euro a car into the park would solve a lot of problems and would begin to fund some sort of a decent alternative.

Charging to enter a public park........?????????

You seem to be unaware that people using the park might not want to have to put up with the construction works. This isn't just a traffic issue - think of noise, mud and dust.
    Do you bring your car into the St. Stephen's Green park or Iveagh Gardens

Victor wrote: »
    You seem to be unaware that people using the park might not want to have to put up with the construction works. This isn't just a traffic issue - think of noise, mud and dust.

Its a really big park. What is it you do beside the main road you can't do somewhere else in the park?

Is there a road with 20k cars a day on it going through either?

Its a really big park. What is it you do beside the main road you can't do somewhere else in the park?
    Listen to music at the band stand. Watch the cricket or use certain playing fields. Have a picnic in the People's Park during lunch from the office. Enjoy the zoo. Peacefully.
    Is there a road with 20k cars a day on it going through either?
    Eh, that the problem.

Listen to music at the band stand. Watch the cricket or use certain playing fields. Have a picnic in the People's Park during lunch from the office. Enjoy the zoo. Peacefully.

To get those kinda noise levels that distance, for 5 months, non stop at every point on that road, or everywhere in the park, you are expecting a level of noise and thus productivity, unheard of in this country. Literally and figuratively.
    Eh, that the problem.

The problem is a nonsensical comparison of disparate things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I would if there was a road going through the middle. That was a stupid comparison

No, charging to bring your car into the park.

That kinda would be a deterrent to people using the park not just commuters. Especially if they use it a lot.

Oh, absolutely.

If we looked at the amount of through traffic vs stop-and-park, walk the dog or whatever, I'd say that 95% is through traffic.

Then the challenge is to find a method to charge the through driver and not the stop-and-parker. Entry and Exit time-based charging is one method (e.g stay more than 1 hour and it's free ) but I can't think of an easy way of doing it.

An alternative option might be to close Castleknock, Knockmaroon, ashtown and Chapelizod gates to inbound traffic in the AM, open them in the PM, and close Parkgate and NCR to inbound in the PM

But I think that the damage being done to Chesterfield avenue and the surrounding greenspace by the huge traffic flow is not being compensated back to the OPW, all the other road authorities get cash from taxation or tolls.

and where will those 20k cars a day go then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement