Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Prepare for 3 months of gridlock!

Options
  • 20-09-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭

From RTE
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0920/phoenixpark.html
    Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park is to be closed for up to three months to allow for the reconstruction of the roadway.

A large section of the main thoroughfare in the Phoenix Park is to be closed for up to three months from the beginning of October to allow for the reconstruction of the roadway.

Major traffic disruption is expected as almost the entire length of Chesterfield Avenue will be closed to traffic.

The road is used by over 20,000 vehicles a day.
    It has not weathered well during the recent harsh winters and despite a temporary resurfacing measure earlier this year, it has a large number of cracks, bumps and potholes.

The Office of Public Works is to carry out a €3m reconstruction project on the road which will begin on 3 October.
    However that will involve closing the road from the Gough Roundabout near the Parkgate Street entrance to the Mountjoy Roundabout beside the Castleknock Gate.

A one-way system will be put in place inside the park which will essentially turn it into a large roundabout.

The road closure is likely to cause major traffic disruption and inconvenience some park users.

The reconstruction project is due to last about 12 weeks and the road should be reopened by Christmas.

The full traffic management plan will be published in the coming days.
    The Minister of State at with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Brian Hayes, has insisted that the road works are necessary.
    "Chesterfield Avenue was never designed to take the volume and weight of traffic that it does and the condition of the road has been a cause of increasing concern," Mr Hayes said.

"The extreme weather conditions experienced in recent years have exacerbated the situation. While the surface degradation was the most immediate and evident sign of the problems prevailing, surveys confirmed that the underlying cause was with the substructure of the road and, in order to address the problem properly, work to the substructure is required.
    "Works to achieve the necessary substantive repair and reconstruction of the most damaged areas of the road have been tendered and the contract has just been placed."

Should be fun if last time is anything to go by! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This post has been deleted.

or rains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

FFS :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Crazy, crazy, crazy, why not do it in sections?

The craziest part of it all is that the worst part of Chesterfield Ave at the moment is the section between Mountjoy Roundabout and Castleknock Gate as this is the only section that wasn't repaired earlier in the year (it wasn't going to the Aras or the US Ambassador's place or Farmleigh - so we didn't need to pretend it was in good nick) - and it's not looking like that section will be done as it's not on the closed list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Train or bicycle and avoid the whole sorry mess.

Here's a map of the diversions/nightmare that lies ahead http://www.phoenixpark.ie/media/Phoenix%20Park%20Diversions.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

175382.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Did they base that on some traffic analysis?

Or was it just crayon and hope?

Expect huge pressure on Blackhorse Avenue.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "They'd be dangerous with a crayon"

Any idea what the best alternative is? I was away for the first two weeks of the diversions so am only now experimenting...the detour inbound in the park is miles long...as I found out today, won't be doing that again. Yesterday I went up the Snugborough Road...Cappagh..but got caught at the level crossing on the River Road.

The queue on the Navan Road was back before the petrol station...any alternatives that work? Feel free to pm to help keep them fee ;)

What way are you going. I haven't found it too bad tbh, it probably even made my journey time shorter as everyone seems to be avoiding the park and around it. Unfortunately further out seems to be heavy, so it can be slower to get to the park, even if its faster to get through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

Why do they do this work coming up to Christmas when the traffic is heaviest? This kind of thing should be done in the middle of the summer when there is a lot less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

because they are a government funded body

so it's about money

they don't know how much they get until the start of the year

they don't know how much they need until they use it

they don't know if they can afford such big works until the end of the year (around now)

if they don't spend it, they have to give the money back

if they give it back, then the dept of finance think they didn't need

if the dept of finance think they didn't need, they won't give them as much money as they might need for next year

I need to get from Waterville to Dublin 2 every morning...route 3 today on my third day of trying to find a route...Blackhorse Avenue...not good for my blood pressure due to
    • people who are scared of their cars almost stopping before every speed bump (despite a speed bump free Navan Road running just parallel)
    • being stuck for ages trying to get from Castleknock Ave onto Blackhorse Ave because of people ignoring the no left turn 7-10 sign from the Ashtown Roundabout road onto Blackhorse Ave
    • and my favourite of the day...a driver who committed both afore mentioned sins feeling the need to indicate at every bend on the road..and just following the road..

Am really missing the park as an option, not just for the option but also for the other cars it takes off the road. It's still incredibly frustrating that the section between Castleknock gate and Mountjoy roundabout (where the road surface is a total wreck outbound) is not on the list for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Would you not be better driving to Navan Road Parkway station and taking the train from there for the duration of the works?

Or using the bus?

You could walk to castleknock station, cycle to it, or indeed cycle to the D.2 it would only take 30 mins. If you want to drive, go in at 7.30 and go for coffee.

Can't cycle or walk that far due to recent surgery :(

Ah well. Leave early so.

Just to add they are going close two lanes on wolfe tone quay while the fix the structural problems caused by the flood. They reckon up to a month.

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/the-damage-of-the-deluge-wolfe-tone-quays-gaping-wound-0017080-1

As if things weren't bad enough! Roadworks on the Ratoath Road having a big effect on traffic too.

I can take the bus a few days a week between now and Christmas but the problem with that is the journey home takes nearly twice as long as the journey in due to lack of bus lane on the Navan Road outbound. Have to drive a couple of days due to other commitments before/after work.

Maybe park and ride to navan rd station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

wondering if these works are on schedule to finish before xmas?

who_ru wrote: »
    wondering if these works are on schedule to finish before xmas?

To be fair, in the evenings anyway, the doomsday scenario never really happened. I've had no trouble getting through most days. The bloody ramps are annoying though!

Well it seems to have caused chaos else where as traffic seemed to avoid the park completely. I've done the same where I can, those ramps would destroy your suspension in no time. Savage. Lucan and Finglas routes seem a lot busier from reports.

BostonB wrote: »
    Well it seems to have caused chaos else where as traffic seemed to avoid the park completely. I've done the same where I can, those ramps would destroy your suspension in no time. Savage. Lucan and Finglas routes seem a lot busier from reports.

The new bus lanes around phibsboro outbound dont help the N2 traffic

I've been cycling through the park the last few weeks.

They've made some progress and there's some sort of new road surfacing starting to take shape but I doubt they'll be finished until mid to late january ... especially if they are gonna take any Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Slydice wrote: »
    I've been cycling through the park the last few weeks.

They've made some progress and there's some sort of new road surfacing starting to take shape but I doubt they'll be finished until mid to late january ... especially if they are gonna take any Christmas holidays.

thanks for the info.....living in chapelizod, knockmaroon hill has been a traffic nightmare these last few months.

I travel just off peak and ironically through the park is usually the quickest way. Going around it brings you into heavy traffic.

Went through it tonight, it's open up as far as the aras but then still closed with a one way system to get from the aras to the castleknock gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I had a look at the new road myself.

They have done all that work, spent all that time and money, and they havn't left room for a bus lane. Magic!

So much for the Governmant wanting people to use public transport.

Now all the express buses from Blanch., Co Meath and further afield will have to continue to use the Navan Road, where the QBC is a joke and by far the worst in the Country.

These buses could have come up along the quays, into the Park, out at the top of Blackhorse Ave, onto the Halfway House roundabout and away with them on a major dual carriageway. And the same trip in reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Murt10 wrote: »
    I had a look at the new road myself.

They have done all that work, spent all that time and money, and they havn't left room for a bus lane. Magic!

So much for the Governmant wanting people to use public transport.

Now all the express buses from Blanch., Co Meath and further afield will have to continue to use the Navan Road, where the QBC is a joke and by far the worst in the Country.

These buses could have come up along the quays, into the Park, out at the top of Blackhorse Ave, onto the Halfway House roundabout and away with them on a major dual carriageway. And the same trip in reverse.

Buses are not allowed in the park for environmental/pollution reasons. Only the tour bus is licenced to enter. Same with other large vehicles. Bringing Dublin Bus through was never an option.

EDIT: and yep, i'd imagine 40/50 cars cause more pollution than one bus does..

Advertisement