Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Prepare for 3 months of gridlock!

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I emailed some comments to the Phoenix Park Superintendent, superintendent.park@opw.ie
    The weekend road closure of Chesterfield Avenue was an interesting idea. On the whole I welcomed it but it was a shame not to see regular events using the closed stretch, especially in the 350th anniversary year.

While I am in favour of reducing the excessive vehicular usage of the Phoenix Park I would like the OPW to consider parking options when roads are closed.
    Chesterfield Avenue, with its hard shoulders, is ideal for parking that does not impact the grass. The weekend closures resulted in people parking on the grass on Ordnance Survey Road.
    On good, sunny days, the open end of Furze Road was very busy, though the closure rewarded those willing to walk a few hundred metres to the picnic area at the other end of Furze Road. It was always nice and quiet.

Diverting traffic on to North Road certainly annoyed some people because the speed ramps there are excessively high. I don't like speed ramps as they punish the innocent - I would prefer to see actual enforcement of the law, but that is another topic.

On the subject of parking, can the OPW consider expanding the car park on Lord's Walk.
    The Zoo is an immensely popular attraction and most people try to park correctly (i.e. off the grass) but the car park quickly fills on nice days. I realise that the Polo Grounds limit the options to the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The parking like they have in Farmleigh, the matting that the grass grows though might be an option in places.

Pity there isn't some sort of continuous path/track around the park for cyclists, walkers and even a small train/tram (you know like a off road themed 4x4 pulling trailers) that could bring people through and around the park. That would open it up to more people than this messing around with road closures. At the moment all the paths and tracks are very disjointed and confused. A map with some trails and some signs suggesting routes would go a long way at minimal cost.

Also I wish they'd finish the surface on the cycle path at the Parkgate end of the park. its been stripped for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BostonB wrote: »
    even a small train/tram (you know like a off road themed 4x4 pulling trailers) that could bring people through and around the park.

There used to be a shuttle bus around the park, it was always empty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It was on the road though. So it got caught in traffic all the time. I think traffic was worse then too. Its not as bad these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They're planning on building a new carpark in or around Ashtown castle. I saw the planning notice displayed near the entrance of the aras a week or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

They're planning on building a new carpark in or around Ashtown castle. I saw the planning notice displayed near the entrance of the aras a week or two ago.
    A 115 space overflow car park - read planning application.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Let me get this right:

A) People against the closure are saying the park is huge, but...

B) The closed section is the only place they can park their cars?!

BostonB wrote: »

Its easily proved if they put metrics on how many more people were on that stretch of road, and people using the rest of the park facilities, increased or decreased. If achieved the objectives, then why not keep it closed.

Because it was their plan to reopen it in the review peiord and it would be wrong to not to stick to their plan just because things went their way.

They probably would have been parked on Chesterfield Avenue had it been open which would have saved the grass a bit.

Not likely when most or all of them were going to Farmleigh.

Godge wrote: »
    If the change was about keeping the Phoenix Park only for a dedicated few who put up with the diversions, then let that be stated and made clear. If the casual visitor and the local who stopped on his way through are to be discouraged from using the park, say so. If that is the public policy decision, put it out there, personally I think if that is the reason then it is flawed.

Says part of the vocal minority of park users against it...

I come in from the northern end and the couple of times I did go down over the summer there was no or limited parking available along chesterfield between the OS roundabout and Castleknock gate and it was too much hassle to go all the way around to park on chesterfield down past the Aras.

You don't sound that arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I come in from the northern end and the couple of times I did go down over the summer there was no or limited parking available along chesterfield between the OS roundabout and Castleknock gate and it was too much hassle to go all the way around to park on chesterfield down past the Aras.

So you drove all the way to the park and then turned around and went home because there was only "limited" parking on your favourite road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So you drove all the way to the park and then turned around and went home because there was only "limited" parking on your favourite road?
    No I went around these times but it put me off going more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

in fairness. if i was going to farmleigh and i had to park near the aras i might not be arsed walking that far. although i would have just parked up anywhere on the grass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement