Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Prepare for 3 months of gridlock!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also there's no way the Ashtown gate could cope with buses going in and out, it's a dangerous junction as it is, nobody seems to know who has the right of way.

Any word on the section from Mountjoy Roundabout to Castleknock Gate being done, this was by far the worst section in the Park and incredibly not tackled in this tranche of repairs (or the previous ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Murt10 wrote: »
    I had a look at the new road myself.

They have done all that work, spent all that time and money, and they havn't left room for a bus lane. Magic!

So much for the Governmant wanting people to use public transport.

Now all the express buses from Blanch., Co Meath and further afield will have to continue to use the Navan Road, where the QBC is a joke and by far the worst in the Country.

These buses could have come up along the quays, into the Park, out at the top of Blackhorse Ave, onto the Halfway House roundabout and away with them on a major dual carriageway. And the same trip in reverse.

come on, it's a park!
    a place to relax, i for one don't want buses in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The OPW are extremely opposed to the park as a main commuter/bus route.

They'd close it to traffic completely if they could.

Problem is they shouldn't over developed D.15 and Meath creating all this traffic in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

tbh I'd like to see it closed to traffic too, but then I dont have to commute that way so it's easy to have that view. It is a park, and should be kept as traffic-free as possible, but that aint going to happen until there's an alternative route for motorists.

That would make sense alright. Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Also there's no way the Ashtown gate could cope with buses going in and out, it's a dangerous junction as it is, nobody seems to know who has the right of way....

Seems to me that a roundabout would solve that dilemma. Once its big enough, they have a habit of making them too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The gate is too narrow, and I'd hate to see the old wall and gate demolished just to make room for buses.

Regardless of buses or gates. That junction needs to be a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

BostonB wrote: »
    The OPW are extremely opposed to the park as a main commuter/bus route.

They'd close it to traffic completely if they could.

Problem is they shouldn't over developed D.15 and Meath creating all this traffic in the first place.

The person in charge of the OPW is Brian Hayes TD. He is a Junior Minister in the Department of Finance and the OPW itself is staffed by civil servants.

As it is Government Policy to encourage commuters to use public transport wherever possible, Mr Hayes should instruct his civil servants to stop acting the maggot and look for ways to encourage Dublin Bus to use the Park.

In fact, he could go further and ban commuter cars altogether from the Park. That would encourage more people to switch over to public transport. It would also allow the commuters on the upstairs of the bus to enjoy the Park as they travel through it.

Because car drivers are busy driving and obeying the speed limits, looking out for deer crossing the road, the cannot enjoy the delights the Park has to offer

...In fact, he could go further and ban commuter cars altogether from the Park. That would encourage more people to switch over to public transport...

I don't think it would. The park being partially closed hasn't had that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mr Hayes should instruct his civil servants to stop acting the maggot and look for ways to encourage Dublin Bus to use the Park.

I think you'll be surprised how many people would be opposed to the use of the park for public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Starting with me! I was up there while the roadworks were in full swing, and apart from the odd bulldozer, peace reigned - it was gorgeous. If they could even ban traffic from the park at weekends, it would be brilliant IMHO.

(I'll declare an interest - I live nearby, and don't have to commute through it or around it, so I wouldn't be affected. Controversial, probably, I know.)

Probably noisy diesel buses wouldn't be that great for the park. A Luas or something even lighter like a tram maybe. One of those novelty trains you see at feature parks. Electric Bicycles that only work in the park, and trailer them back the the other direction as required much like Dublin Bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

just been skiming this thread and was wondering if this work is finished now, could not see mention that it had....
    Just i would like to start using the park again at weekends with the kids and that. Is it still all up the air and one way systems?

Its done from the middle to the city end of the park. From the middle to Castleknock is still closed. So still one way in place. That said the one way never really stopped anyone from using it, even at the weekends.

just been skiming this thread and was wondering if this work is finished now, could not see mention that it had....
    Just i would like to start using the park again at weekends with the kids and that. Is it still all up the air and one way systems?

OPW website indicates that the work is expected to continue until February.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents...,17075,en.html
    Given that we expect to be repairing Chesterfield Avenue from October to February 2012 inclusive, event organisers are asked to note that unfortunately no new applications for during that period can be accepted.

Once works are completed, in the interest of public safety, we will be delighted to consider appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I use the park all the time. The one way system is fine. You can use any part of the park you want.

And a much nicer place with the reduced traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How did they get the original estimate so wrong? 5 months instead of 3 is nearly double. It's not like we've been pounded by snow or anything

They said approximately 12 weeks from the start of October. Take out the floods, the snow, bank holiday weekend, Christmas...it won't be too far off 12 weeks of them actually working.

They really need to do the extremes of Chesterfield Ave too though, Castleknock Gate to Mountjoy Roundabout and Parkgate St to first roundabout...the surfaces are shockingly bad.

athtrasna wrote: »
    They said approximately 12 weeks from the start of October. Take out the floods, the snow, bank holiday weekend, Christmas...it won't be too far off 12 weeks of them actually working.

Christmas and bank holidays come every year so they should have factored them into their estimate. If they were taken by surprise by them coming up there's something wrong. As for the weather, you start a job in October you should be aware that the weather might turn bad. As it was, we had a very mild winter so far with one week of floods. That should not have added a 4-6 week delay.

Edit - just read in another thread that thee was an archaeological find so that might explain the delay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Christmas and bank holidays come every year so they should have factored them into their estimate. If they were taken by surprise by them coming up there's something wrong. As for the weather, you start a job in October you should be aware that the weather might turn bad. As it was, we had a very mild winter so far with one week of floods. That should not have added a 4-6 week delay.

Edit - just read in another thread that thee was an archaeological find so that might explain the delay

What was found Jack ?

Some bones or something. Check out the thread in The Commuting & Transport section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Some bones or something. Check out the thread in The Commuting & Transport section

Can you post a like to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

oblivious wrote: »
    Can you post a like to it

Found the thread Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Due to the park celebrating it's 350th year there are plans for free events during the year.
    It is intended to open Chesterfield Ave to pedestrians and cyclists from Phoenix monument to Mountjoy roundabout at weekends, traffic restrictions will implemented.

Traveled on the new road from the Phoenix monument to the roundabout at the zoo.
    If this is the finished surface well f me it's crap. Its uneven, bumpy, patchy, must have been done by Stevie Wonder and Sons, Wouldn't fancy driving on it at the Park races.

Theres a sign just outside the aras saying temporary surface.

I saw that, but what the hell are they doing, their already over the finish time and why not put in the proper surface as the road has been closed 3 months?

Maybe it got too deer.

• Advertisement

Update: http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17819,en.html
    REPAIR WORKS TO CHESTERFIELD AVENUE

Phoenix Park Diversions (PDF Map)

We would like to thank the public for their co-operation during these essential road repairs. The following few weeks, as we near completion, there will be changes to the traffic arrangement to facilitate the application of the final course and road markings

Please click on the link above to view the map showing the traffic flows from the 23rd January 2012.

The following changes will apply:

The section from the Gough Roundabout to the triangle known as the Fountain Road will be closed for 2 weeks commencing Monday, 23rd January 2012.

Three Phase vehicle activated traffic lights will be in operation at the Gough Roundabout

It is important to note that the Back Road from Ashtown Gate to the North Circular Road Gate will be two way and due caution must be taken.

A One way system will be in operation on the south side of the Park

The Odd Lamp Road and Khyber Road will be open to traffic

All gates to the Park open 24 hours a day

Ashtown Gate Entrance Only

Cabra Gate Exit Only

The second phase of works at the Gough Roundabout will have a different traffic arrangement and the public will be advised in due course.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and if you have any queries please contact:

Mr. Tom Corcoran on 086 858 5018 or this office

Yours sincerely,

Margaret Gormley,

Park Superindentent

Tel.: 01 821 3021

20th January 2012

Phase%20One%20Map%20Final.pdf

Looks like all traffic inbound will have to either go out Parkgate Street gate or do a full loop towards the Aras and back to use the NCR gate. Outbound traffic will all have to go up as far as the Aras before looping off to go left for Castleknock or right for NCR. Gridlock expected!

Advertisement