Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Prepare for 3 months of gridlock!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Great to see the odd lamp road and Kyber road are open to Chesterfield ave, should be open all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

nudger wrote: »
    Great to see the odd lamp road and Kyber road are open to Chesterfield ave, should be open all the time.

They are great to walk, run or cycle along. See no reason why they should be open to traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I use Kyber road a lot cycling and its always busy with cyclists, runners and walkers.

They are great to walk, run or cycle along. See no reason why they should be open to traffic?

I remember when they were open to traffic and they were not that busy. they give great access from the main road to both Ashtown and Cabra gates and would take pressure off Mountjoy and Gough roundabouts.
    There is a footpath for the walking and running and bikes would still have the road, your only talking about a few hundred yards.
    I know I'm being selfish as I live that side of the park and am in it most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Well there is talk of closing some of the roads at weekends so opening up extra roads seems unlikely (Thankfully)

I know i am biased but i use the park for running and bringing the kids and love the place. Have enjoyed the quieter traffic recently.

• Advertisement

Yes they are talking of closing the section of Chesterfield ave that is closed at the moment at weekends during the 350 celebrations once the road works are finished.
    I use the park a lot also as do the family but the odd lamp road being open would make life easier for me.
    I done a lot of running in the park back in the day, better places in the park to run than that little stretch.:rolleyes:

Whats special about the odd lamp road. The only thing I can think of it being useful for is avoiding the the tailback from Castleknock.

Say your coming from the 15 acres/Popes cross heading for the Cabra gate, I'm doing this twice a day on the school run.

Ouch

BostonB wrote: »
    Ouch

No Ouch now that the odd lamp road is open.:)

• Advertisement

Get them to cycle it, then no ouch ever.

If I told them to cycle it, i'd get the ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The traffic lights at the zoo roundabout caused a few delays this evening. Traffic was backed up badly on Parkgate Street

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard that the OPW are pushing to have the main road (Chesterfield Avenue) through the Park closed to traffic on weekends when the works are finished.

I think that the OPW's agenda has, all along, been to completely close the Phoenix park to cars but given the sheer volume of traffic using Chesterfield Avenue it IMO is simply not a runner.

The current roadworks in the park are taking a ridiculously long amount of time.:mad::(

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've heard that the OPW are pushing to have the main road (Chesterfield Avenue) through the Park closed to traffic on weekends when the works are finished.

I think that the OPW's agenda has, all along, been to completely close the Phoenix park to cars but given the sheer volume of traffic using Chesterfield Avenue it IMO is simply not a runner.

The current roadworks in the park are taking a ridiculously long amount of time.:mad::(

I believe there was some sort of an archaeological find under the main road that has pushed back the road works, Irish Terracotta Army, (a spoon) there is a thread somewhere about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The traffic lights at the zoo roundabout caused a few delays this evening. Traffic was backed up badly on Parkgate Street

Worse this morning. 30 mins Castleknock gate to Parkgate :eek:

I think it has a knock on effect on a much larger area around it.

Totally...the Navan Road was back way before the Petrol Station inbound. Auburn Ave heading towards the Park & Blackhorse was waaaaay busier than usual too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mikerafone

They closed off the road between the island Bridge Gate andGgough roundabout this morning which caused 30 minute delays at least. All traffic was diverted out onto island Bridge. Anyone know how long this will continue to be closed off?

Dunno I was through it early I imagine it was a nightmare later.

• Advertisement

I took Blackhorse Ave because they were giving journey times of 65 minutes Castleknock gate to Parkgate Street :eek: Would be lost without LiveDrive on Dublin City FM, 103.2 - up to date traffic updates every 5 mins. When we have alternative routes it's good to have current info.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

That explains why there were so many chumps sitting there tryin to go straight into town this morning. Good old right turn up to Kilmainham. Free and easy.

Mikerafone wrote: »
    They closed off the road between the island Bridge Gate andGgough roundabout this morning which caused 30 minute delays at least. All traffic was diverted out onto island Bridge. Anyone know how long this will continue to be closed off?

These new closures are men't to last 2 weeks from the 23rd, first weeks nearly up but I wouldn't rock up on Monday 6th expecting all will be done.
    On the 23rd they got it very wrong and when I E mailed them to explain why it didn't happened, and when the new actions WOULD be in place, I got a copy and paste answer of the new diversions from their site, which athtrasna had posted earlier.
    This was the reason I E mailed them in the first place as it was on their site.

So the 6th ish (cold/bad weather on the way).

Not in work next week and delighted I don't have to deal with traffic chaos. The Park works have been a total nightmare for knock on effects in the general area. Don't think Feb will be an end to that as I keep pointing out the surfaces around Parkgate and Castleknock Gate are both in dreadful condition. They were not down for inclusion in these works but I would expect them to be started soon enough.

This seemed to be open again last night. (Phoenix Monument Roundabout to Castleknock end) Dunno about this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BostonB wrote: »
    This seemed to be open again last night. (Phoenix Monument Roundabout to Castleknock end) Dunno about this morning.

Closed from Phoenix Monument up towards Castleknock this evening. It looked open down the main road towards town, but I'd seen a sign somewhere along the way saying "no access to Parkgate Street". So have they shut roads at the town end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's looking like they are making good progress though. 1 or 2 more weeks I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

in an email from Leo:
    Chesterfield Avenue
    The re-opening of Chesterfield Avenue has been delayed due to an archaeological find, although a stretch from Parkgate Street is open again. Every effort is being made to keep inconvenience to a minimum for local residents and those using the Park. The road is expected to re-open fully in the near future.

Wonder what they found?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

ozmo wrote: »
    in an email from Leo:

Wonder what they found?

A 10 year old Mahon report. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I drove through the phoenix park yesterday, from the Heuston station end to Castleknock. The new road surface is great. Much improved

Advertisement