Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Concannon on tv show

• 20-09-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Did many folk see the J F C fellow on that tv show on RTE last night ? It's the one where someone who is well off goes and lives in a deprived area for a while ( in John's case posing as a farmer from Claremorris but I doubt if any of the Dubs would have known him anyway ).

I certainly enjoyed it and John came across as a very caring man who certainly got very emotional when the talk came to the centre doing its best for suicide prevention.

My father RIP came back from the Spring Show in the early 90s proud as punch with the 3 in 1 calf feeding bucket. After it sprung a leak many years later mother used it as a flower pot !

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Saw it, very good program, I assume it's still available on the RTÉ player

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thought it was good too . He was very down to earth .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ironic how Gay said to him on that infamous Late Late Show that he "looked like such a gom", albeit as a joke. Years later and his company is worth €30 million.... and Gay was swindled out of his lifesavings not once, but twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ironic how Gay said to him on that infamous Late Late Show that he "looked like such a gom", albeit as a joke. Years later and his company is worth €30 million.... and Gay was swindled out of his lifesavings not once, but twice.
    Gay the gom getting caught not once, not twice but thrice with his own personal finances ( i thought it was twice but i was informed at work it was three times).
    Gay looked very smug alright, he wielded a lot of power in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

Great show. by any chance could all those retired FF F****** and bankers to go on the show and they might finally see how they wrecked this great country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Good programme. Great guy. The country needs more like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

good programme, and seems to be a true gent,

I attended a open night at the samartins a few years and some of the issues shown have always stuck in my mind

Might contact them again, have more free time now

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

pakalasa wrote: »

lads,
    how do you leave a "thanks from" on this post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

lads,
    how do you leave a "thanks from" on this post?
    At the bottom right of the post, there is a thumbs up icon, click on it and the thank from you comes up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

5live wrote: »
    At the bottom right of the post, there is a thumbs up icon, click on it and the thank from you comes up;)

hi live,

i dont have any thumbs up icon;
    i just have "reply with quote", "multi quote" & "quick reply"?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

hi live,

Well i'm lost so charlie. Someone will know and reply soon or you could try to PM one of the moderators

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

hi live,

Hi you have to have a post count over 20 and then you will be able to thank people Johngalway found out for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I thought the whole program was a complete sham:eek: There he was, by the way giving away hard earned lolly and doing a cry baby act, that would put Eamon Dunphy to shame.
    Well, if he had to pay for that TV exposure, through an advertising campaign, it would have cost him nearer to €500k.

He is a great business man. That program was another great business deal, on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I thought the whole program was a complete sham:eek: There he was, by the way giving away hard earned lolly and doing a cry baby act, that would put Eamon Dunphy to shame.
    Well, if he had to pay for that TV exposure, through an advertising campaign, it would have cost him nearer to €500k.

He is a great business man. That program was another great business deal, on his behalf.

I think the show wasnt great.
    It was god to highlight issues on the ground in that area - but I think people knew well what the story was. I mean, if you worked at a charity, and a lad turned up on your door, with a half-a-story and a camera crew following him, offering to help - wouldnt you think "secret millionaire" :)

Altho not sure I'd go that far that he did it for personal gain now Tora... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Tora Bora wrote: »

Ah hold on ToraBora, he's no Michael O'Leary!

He might have been a bit naive to go on it, and to be so trusting of the programme makers (who contrived a few scenes a little clumsily), but I saw no evidence of cynicism on his part.

I actually remember him starting off, selling bits and bobs of injection-moulded gadgets door-to-door in the west. He did it the hard way, and put in hard miles and tough years. I get a kick to be honest out of his displays at the Ploughing each year, just to see what is the latest wheeze that John has had a go at making now out of a one-pice plastic moulding (8' tall marker buoys and chicken coops is the answer!). I think he is the real deal, and I don't think he would turn cynical now.

He is also pretty unique in being an extremely wealthy and successfull business man who appears to have made relatively few enemies along the way. His employees speak very highly of him.

He also speaks in his own accent, which is not all that common.

LC

PS I Have no connection with him or his company, but may have a 3in1 bucket in the shed if I searched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Great show. by any chance could all those retired FF F****** and bankers to go on the show and they might finally see how they wrecked this great country.

Yea,

I think Bertie Aherne is on the show next week!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

Watched most off the show thought some of it was acted out after the real event just for the effect.
    My thought was the man is leaving him self wide open for every criminal in the country showing
    a. he had wealth
    b.where he lived
    also involving his family in the risk.
    Must add i dont doubt the mans honorable intentions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Yes very good programme and it is very heartwarming to see people in the position like john comcannon is and giving to less fortunate people,Nice fella aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Saw him today at the ploughing. He's turning into a bit of a celebrity.

Advertisement