Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PLEASE. dog making a weird noise

• 20-09-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a 9 month old lab/ whippet cross.

For the last day she has been making a weird dry cough almost like a barking cough if that makes sense and it almost makes her sick. (but hasn't yet)
    It isn't very frequent but she is coughing in her sleep and it wakes her up.

Other then that the only change in her mood is shes a bit quiet but shes still playing, eating, sleeping the same and her gums are the normal colour and she drinking loads of water.

If any body has any idea of what it could be id be grateful as i just lost my job and i cant afford vet bills

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I'm afraid random, anonymous people on the internet with or without any description of veterinary qualifications can't make a diagnosis on a dog they have never seen. Please take your dog to a vet and if you think you aren't going to able to afford emergency treatment you should probably get pet insurance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

If your dog is coughing til she's almost sick, she may have kennel cough. Either way she needs to be brought to a vet asap as she may need treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

same as the other poster sounds like kennel cough but thats only a guess. could be a chest infection etc that could possible need antibiotics. sorry if i sound harsh but me and my partner both dont work but if dogs are sick its of to the vet. if we couldnt do this, saying that are vet is very good and will let us pay of weekly, i think i would have to rehome them. after all if their sick, same as a human, then of course medical attention is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

same as the other poster sounds like kennel cough but thats only a guess. could be a chest infection etc that could possible need antibiotics. sorry if i sound harsh but me and my partner both dont work but if dogs are sick its of to the vet. if we couldnt do this, saying that are vet is very good and will let us pay of weekly, i think i would have to rehome them. after all if their sick, same as a human, then of course medical attention is needed.

Well of course i am going to bring her to a vet if she gets worse but i just wanted to get some advise as to what it could be and where i live they dont let you pay off weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you can't play russian roulette with any animals health. You need to get your dog to a vet as soon as possible.
    It might be something or it might be nothing but, either way, only a vet can tell you what's going on.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job but there's the Blue Cross who will help you if you can't afford to see your regular vet due to unemployment. Your vet might even be able to set up a payment plan if you explain your circumstances. Personally I'd live on bread and water for the next 12 months to pay for my animals care - but that's just me.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted out quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

had a huge vet bill last year for our dog,she swallowed a stone had to get operated on,get your dog covered,costs us ten euro a month,go without something yourself even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like classic symptoms of Kennel Cough which needs to be treated by a vet.

Have you got your dog insured? Its a good idea if money is an issue. But this dog needs to see a veta s you run the risk of it turning into Pneumonia or something very serious if not treated soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Op if you youtube kennel cough, or dog making strange noises, you will get a variety of different noises, backward sneezing is another one...

That said, if it keeps up as previous posters have all said the vets is best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

obviously if you can afford a vet it's the best idea - but I was under the impression that kennel cough can't be treated as it's a virus, unless it turns into a secondary infection like pneumonia. My puppy had kennel cough, and I kept and eye on him for a sudden temperature, but didn't go to the vet. On the other hand I knew for certain that it was kennel cough.
    It's always a tough judgement call when to make that trip - but things always seem to get worse at weekends, so if you're humming and hawing OP you want to make up your mind by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Just to give an update

I brought her to a vet she has a mild dose of kennel cough and was put on one Norolav tablet a day for 4 days

Other then that the vet said she is a fine healthy happy dog :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement