Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dit Gmail

Options
  • 20-09-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

So new student here , on an Msc course.
    I have been given myDIT email address which is in fact a gmail address :-)

Can I link these two accounts save me signing into the MyDIT one at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In theory, you could forward all of your mail from your xxx@mydit.ie to your xxx@gmail.com account. Then in your current gmail there's an "other accounts I own" option (or something similarly named) so that you can send from your gmail, but make it look to the recipient as though you sent it from mydit.

But it all seems a little pokey tbh, so unless it's a huge hassle signing in and out I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I have my student email forwarded to my regular email (little cog in the top right -> mail settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Add forwarding address) and I also have my normal email set up to send mail as my student email addresses (you choose from a drop down list when sending mail which address to use) to do this it's: little cog in the top right -> mail settings -> Accounts and import -> in the send mail as bit add your student email details and verify it and you're done. Forgotten about from then on you'll get your student emails in your normal inbox, I personally don't find it pokey at all, and I do find it a bit of a hassle signing in and out of different accounts. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

that is a perfect guide , thanks a million , PERFECT :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

did DIT actually do the right thing for once and ditch rubbish mail providers and go with google apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

They did!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

There is a way you can link the two accounts, so you can just log into one, then click Account>Switch>C1234567 and it will change to the other.

I have it set up on mine, but can't for the life of me remember how I figured it out. I'm sure it wasn't that difficult :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

did DIT actually do the right thing for once and ditch rubbish mail providers and go with google apps?
    Yep, let's hope they stick it out this time too.

They've had four different mail systems over the past four years now:
    - Squirrelmail
    - SunGard
    - Oracle
    - GMail

Crazy!

sweet, haven't logged into my dit mail until squirrelmail bit the dust. sungard was and still quite possibly the worst piece of software i have ever used.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

sweet, haven't logged into my dit mail until squirrelmail bit the dust. sungard was and still quite possibly the worst piece of software i have ever used.

Have you seen webcourses and webtimetables :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Mo14 wrote: »
    ...I personally don't find it pokey at all, and I do find it a bit of a hassle signing in and out of different accounts. :P
    Good to know; I might try it myself so. It sounded complicated in my head at least! :)

• Advertisement

Have you seen webcourses and webtimetables :eek:
    why yes, they were the bain of my life for a total of 4 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yorick23

Hi guys, have any of you tried to configure thunderbird to use new email system? For some reason i can't get it to work.I use the following settings:

on gmail:
    name.surname@mydit.ie as default email
    IMAP enabled

on email client (thunderbird):
    studentnumber@mydit.ie as username (also tried name.surname@mydit.ie)
    usual password

Thunderbird correctly identifies that this is googlemail account but authentication fails. I get error wrong username/password. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Did you ever get this sorted out? I've been trying to set up the mail client on the iPad and I'm getting no where as well. Have seen the PDF guide but it does not work for me.

Advertisement