Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade parts or new bike??

• 20-09-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

This has been annoyong me all season whether to upgrade or get a new bike completely, so im asking early in winter to know what others would do?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's always worth having a few sprares ...

... (bikes that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I can see by your post in the fleet thread;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Give it a good service. It'll feel like new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What type have you got?

If it's a road bike that will take wider tyres and mudguards then buy a new bike and keep the one you have as a winter/commuter bike with the bigger tyres and mudguards on.

Now you just have to buy some carbon/titanium racing machine that you can't justify or afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nothing beats that new bike feeling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I tend to upgrade parts piecemeal over time. Anytime something wears our or needs replacing, it gets replaced with a better spec part. At this point all that remains of the original (2008) bike is the frame, seatpost, BB, brake calipers and crank/chainset...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I tend to upgrade parts piecemeal over time. Anytime something wears our or needs replacing, it gets replaced with a better spec part. At this point all that remains of the original (2008) bike is the frame, seatpost, BB, brake calipers and crank/chainset...

Trigger's Broom

579395_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

early in winter

Interesting. What calendar do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I would avail of the bike to work scheme and if you have some decent kit on your present bike interchange it with your new bike then sell the old bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

OP, without having mentioned the bike which you currently have you haven't given us very much to go on. However, if you have decided to plumb for a new bike go for an affordable one which has the best frameset. That way, the next time you find yourself in this situation, you'll more than likely just be upgrading the parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Probably should have said, sorry. i have a training bike which I have removed all the parts from my carbon bike to my winter trainer bar the sram red chainset. Its a 2010 sunn falcon(carbon bike) but have wanted a giant TCR all year and cant decide whether to sell the carbon frame and my mavics and buy a whole new bike.

This is what was on the carbon bike which is now on my winter bike.

Campag xenon 9speed rear derelleur.
    Campag xenon 9 speed shifters.
    Sram red chainset(which will stay regardless).
    Shimano 105 front dereilleur.
    non branded brakes.

Advertisement