Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving laptops in library

Options
  • 20-09-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Just after returning to UCD after an absence of a few years, and one of the most striking things about the place is the proliferation of laptops. I have one myself, and whenever I'm in the library and I get up to find a book or read some graffiti on the toilet walls, I always pack up my laptop and bring it with me. I notice though, that not everybody does this. Is there not a fear that they'd be nicked by some moral degenerate? I wouldn't leave my watch on an empty desk, let alone a €500 laptop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

After five years in UCD between 2003 to 2011, and leaving my laptop unattended for long periods of time in the library, on a pretty much daily basis, it was never robbed. Neither were the laptops of anyone I knew/know. That said, I do remember one reported theft but that still leaves the odds of it happening to you pretty low.

Security is pretty tight in the library and everyone's entry/exit is logged so I guess that might put potential petty thieves off. I can't see any problem leaving it unattended unless you're sitting in a very quiet secluded corner and your laptop is worth a couple of grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Completely different experience to the above poster. I never leave my laptop down anywhere, too valuable really. Anyway I know three different people who have had their laptops robbed from the library in the past two years. Two of them got them back to be fair, via video cameras apparently but the other one vanished into thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

iPods are more likely to be stolen. Library staff can get people on cctv but all it takes is one student card to gain access to the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you leave it for a while it'll vanish, it's unlikely to disappear if you're just gone for a few minutes. Best bet it to just pick up a laptop lock, then it'll be safe for nipping to grab a book/a smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Raphael wrote: »
    If you leave it for a while it'll vanish, it's unlikely to disappear if you're just gone for a few minutes. Best bet it to just pick up a laptop lock, then it'll be safe for nipping to grab a book/a smoke

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I tend to leave mine but i wouldn't leave my phone

Advertisement