Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate scumbags...

Options

Comments

A buddy of mine was held up at knifepoint in the Barrack St area in Cork city and was told to go into the off-licence and buy him 6 cans. He gave my friend the money so my friend bought the cans. He then came out and gave the lad the cans and was told to keep the change for being "sound"

Nearly wet myself when he told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jocombo

Derfil wrote: »
    Was down in the trip to Tipp years ago and was walking from the town towards the stadium by myself and noticed 3 guys walking towards me with one lad holding a cardboard box. As I was going by the scumbag smashed the box into my face whilst laughing and saying "here have a box".

I dont condone my actions but I was young and hot headed and was a pretty decent boxer in my day. Basically that guy got hammered. I turned after him and bet him to a pulp. His two mates turned to be all fake bravado. Dragging him away begging me to leave them alone. They were scumbags, I knew by looking at them so I didn't loose any sleep over the mess I left him in.

I hope you said
    'Thats not a box .......... This is a box!'

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

markesmith wrote: »
    Dubs Idiots, regardless of city, county, nation + alcohol + rare sporting win = scummy behaviour.

I trust all is in order,

Sincerely,
    markesmith

FYP, scummer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I know I've said this before and it'll probably wind the bleeding hearts up no end but I really have come to believe that these people are a different breed. Their brains are a bit scrambled. I haven't a clue about genetics but I'll wager these people are missing a few chromosomes.

And spot on the poster who talked about not being able to have public events because of this lot. I remember at the October Fest thing down near George's Dock a bunch of knackers throwing stuff at the lady's working in the stands. Just miserable behaviour. Also saw an middle aged American couple on the receiving end of some really horrible abuse for kissing in Stephen's Green. There's just an air of malice everywhere you go.

And to anyone who gives me the "there's scumbags everywhere" response. Not so. Not THAT type of scumbag. I've lived in Spain for a while now and I've never been approached by some random scrote looking to give me grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Seachmall wrote: »
    But you have to take into account that when abroad you would most likely avoid scumbag areas where-as at home you may feel comfortable enough to pass through them.

Yeah, that's probably a factor. I was in Paris this summer and I knew there were certain suburbs to be avoided, but the centre was generally fine. In Bilbao, I only saw two beggars - no drunks, no scumbags, no Roma beggars, nothing. Brussels was the same, though I suppose we probably didn't go far enough outside the city centre to see any of it.

But, anyone who knows Dublin will have seen crowds of scumbags in the city centre. Abbey Street, North Earl Street, Talbot Street, Parnell Street... these are in the centre, not "scumbag areas" that can be easily avoided! The red-line Luas, in particular, is full of them. I hate getting it home at night, even though I was fine on the metros in both Paris and Brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I await the day when a sterilisation drug is made in soluble form, so that when scummers are picked up by the cops they can say, jaysus lads ye look thirsty, have a drink.

Problem solved within a generation.

Save a mint on children's allowance too...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, that's probably a factor. I was in Paris this summer and I knew there were certain suburbs to be avoided, but the centre was generally fine. In Bilbao, I only saw two beggars - no drunks, no scumbags, no Roma beggars, nothing. Brussels was the same, though I suppose we probably didn't go far enough outside the city centre to see any of it.

But, anyone who knows Dublin will have seen crowds of scumbags in the city centre. Abbey Street, North Earl Street, Talbot Street, Parnell Street... these are in the centre, not "scumbag areas" that can be easily avoided! The red-line Luas, in particular, is full of them. I hate getting it home at night, even though I was fine on the metros in both Paris and Brussels.

Paris and Brussels is fine during the day but at night there's a lot of sleazy Morroccan type guys hanging around. Never got any trouble from them mind but they made me feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

I know I've said this before and it'll probably wind the bleeding hearts up no end but I really have come to believe that these people are a different breed. Their brains are a bit scrambled. I haven't a clue about genetics but I'll wager these people are missing a few chromosomes.

And spot on the poster who talked about not being able to have public events because of this lot. I remember at the October Fest thing down near George's Dock a bunch of knackers throwing stuff at the lady's working in the stands. Just miserable behaviour. Also saw an middle aged American couple on the receiving end of some really horrible abuse for kissing in Stephen's Green. There's just an air of malice everywhere you go.

And to anyone who gives me the "there's scumbags everywhere" response. Not so. Not THAT type of scumbag. I've lived in Spain for a while now and I've never been approached by some random scrote looking to give me grief.

Absolutely - you only have to look at the heads on them

I hate scumbags & bleeding heart liberals annoy me more - some of them are just rotten to the core and no amount of second chances, pats on the backs & PC bUll**** handringing is going to make one iota of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Paris and Brussels is fine during the day but at night there's a lot of sleazy Morroccan type guys hanging around. Never got any trouble from them mind but they made me feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, I didn't think they were as bad as the skangers here though, they didn't yell random abuse at me. I was only there for a few weeks, though, so I can't really say for sure.

One night getting off the Metro, two guys in skanger attire in front of me turned around and looked at me - I was thinking "F***ck!", but then one started giving out to the other for not holding the gate open for me ("Where are your manners?!" etc.). :D Is it a bad sign that I immediately suspected the worst?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This is exactly the type of stuff that those people who bang on about the statistics claiming that Dublin (and other Irish cities) are safe by international norms don't understand. This 'air of menace' (the exact phrase I'd use myself) and the thuggish behaviour doesn't appear in any set of statistics, and the police seem to do their best at times to ensure that actual assaults don't appear in the stats (as learned from personal experience and threads here on Boards).

It's not like that in (most) other cities abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Not to belittle the experiences of those who've encountered random violence and aggressive behaviour on the streets, and I sympathise as it's a horrible think to encounter...

but...

are so-called scumbags such a big problem that they inspire such knee-jerk reactions along the kill 'em all/sterilise 'em/they're biologically different from us normals Joe line?

I spend most of my time in Dublin and there is a noticeable presence of junkies and people who would be identified as scumbags due to their dress and gait etc. But I've never had any threat or hassle from them, and never felt uncomfortable walking past one of these people.
    I also don't know of anyone who's experienced any trouble.
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as the evidence in this thread testifies that it does, just that the presence of complaints about "scumbags" on AH far outweighs the level of problem they represent in society.

Now it's not nice to see junkies hanging round the city centre, and I think we should have a much more visible police presence to deter anti-social behaviour and punish crimes if they occur. Go to New York or London city centre and there'll usually be a cop within shouting distance. There's a lot more our police could be doing to make Dublin city centre in particular a nicer and safer place.

But underclass violence is pretty much an unavoidable by-product of global capitalism which creates effectively unemployable underclasses due to the availability of cheap labour in poor countries. As others have mentioned, it happens everywhere: go to the suburbs in Paris or Baltimore, or marvel at the bulletholes in the road signs in rural Italy. Dublin is just unusual in that the disadvantaged are also found in the city centre.

As for the "bleeding-heart" argument that such people are just products of their circumstances? Yes, we are all responsible for our actions and it's possible for someone from the most deprived circumstances to make a success of themselves, but they still have to go through a hell of a lot more than most people to do so.
    When you're surrounded by violence, drug abuse and unemployment, it's hard not to get sucked into that. For men in particular, who have no other barometer for success, violence is often their only way to assert themselves and "win" something.
    That's not to excuse such behaviour, as each person must make a choice to be violent or not, but in some situations your choices are constrained. We all might like to think that we would never choose to be a scumbag, but we can't really say what would happen if we were so deprived.
    Violence just goes hand in hand with social deprivation all over the world, it's just that in Dublin it's not confined to no-go areas.

A tougher approach to such behaviour is needed. Violence should always be punished.
    But calling for execution and sterilisation is ridiculous, and reminiscent of a certain chap with a funny moustache who believed that groups who were socially and biologically inferior should be exterminated or sterilised.
    Random violence is horrible and should be punished severely, but you have to look at the bigger picture at the same time.

And such measures would never stop the "problem" of scumbags. In a modern capitalist society there'll always be scumbags. The only way to truly eradicate this "problem" is to completely overhaul the way our society works, which is incredibly unlikely.

Also, it's disappointing to always here the lock 'em all up/hang 'em/sterilise 'em brigade come out in force against the underclass and the ultimately minor problems they cause.
    What about the bankers, politicians, the upwardly mobile and developers who have f**ked this country up royally?
    They're the real scumbags who have caused far more pain and misery, and are a much bigger problem than violence and aggression on the streets, overall.

You should be directing your ire at them.

If they had done their jobs properly and if the political leaders had cared in any way about actually serving the people of Ireland and trying to make life better for all of her citizens, then there'd probably be a lot fewer scumbags in tracksuits and your walk through Dublin or Cork would be a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I got mugged earlier this year in Amien Street near the turn off for Foley Street. Around 8:30 I was walking home and got my iPhone robbed my second one that was robbed in less than a month.

I fear there is only 1 solution that I think will work. We should bring back stocks and have them once a week outside the Jervis Centre and St Stephens Green Centre. The general public will be allowed to throw rotten fruit at them and it would be filmed and then shown on tv. What do you all think?.

I got mugged earlier this year in Amien Street near the turn off for Foley Street. Around 8:30 I was walking home and got my iPhone robbed my second one that was robbed in less than a month.

I fear there is only 1 solution that I think will work. We should bring back stocks and have them once a week outside the Jervis Centre and St Stephens Green Centre. The general public will be allowed to throw rotten fruit at them and it would be filmed and then shown on tv. What do you all think?.

I think that's a barbaric idea. We're now more civilised than resorting to the stocks.

It's also too light a punishment. Just getting rotten fruit thrown at you? Most people could easily put up with that.

I personally think a mugger should be jailed.

But do you think the stocks should be reserved solely for muggers?
    What about murderers, rapists, rogue traders?

Maybe we should have a unique, humiliating punishment for every crime.

Also, it's disappointing to always here the lock 'em all up/hang 'em/sterilise 'em brigade come out in force against the underclass and the ultimately minor problems they cause.
    What about the bankers, politicians, the upwardly mobile and developers who have f**ked this country up royally?
    They're the real scumbags who have caused far more pain and misery, and are a much bigger problem than violence and aggression on the streets, overall.

You should be directing your ire at them.
    Oh god, not this ULA straw man bilge again. Have you been living in a cave the last few years? Have you not notice a bit of 'ire' directed at the morons at the top?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

So, after watching the Dubs win on Sunday, we left Croke Park to celebrate with a few quiet drinks. Nothing too hectic but the win was worth celebrating. We met some really nice Kerry fans along the way and all seemed well.

I left early enough to go home but some of the lads hung around for a few more. Later that evening, one of my friends, the least threatening guy you could come across, was attacked in a random act of violence in the city centre. It all happened so quickly, he doesn't know exactly how, but he took a blow to the head from some lunatic and fell to the ground, smacking his head off the pavement.

The scumbag ran away, presumably quite proud of himself...maybe not though.

My friend spent the night in A&E, had five stitches to his face, a swollen jaw and plenty of bad memories from what should have been a great evening.

Recently, we have travelled to Poland, Germany, Spain and haven't encountered any problems...on our own doorstep though, this gob****e was he'll bent on doing someone damage...wtf?:mad:

On the off chance that the scumbag is able to read, and reads this, would he kindly explain what was going through his mind when he attacked my mate? Are you the sort to pick on someone for the sake of it? Coud you try to explain why anyone would this?

Basically, not cool...:(
    thats your answer. if your friend was 6.6 tall, and looked a mean s.o.b.
    these scumbags would stay well clear,he picked him out because that is what these lowlifes do :mad:

Oh god, not this ULA straw man bilge again. Have you been living in a cave the last few years? Have you not notice a bit of 'ire' directed at the morons at the top?? :confused:

Not with the same level of vicious anger I hear directed at scumbags, no.

I never hear anything about them being executed, flogged or that they're fundamentally biologically different (even though a higher percentage of CEOs are psychopaths).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I think that's a barbaric idea. We're now more civilised than resorting to the stocks.

It's also too light a punishment. Just getting rotten fruit thrown at you? Most people could easily put up with that.

how about we;

put them in stocks
    then put them in jail
    then release but on conditions they never wear tracksuits, Ben Sherman clother, cheap jewellery or runners again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

4leto wrote: »
    And they are getting worse, cnuts, they just don't care, they seem to have a free reign and i think out of control.

That explains nothing. I could attack someone if I wanted to, point is I don't want to because I'm not an asshole.

Why attack random people on the street? Where's the thrill or whatever it is? I honestly don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

bamboozle wrote: »
    how about we;

put them in stocks
    then put them in jail
    then release but on conditions they never wear tracksuits, Ben Sherman clother, cheap jewellery or runners again.

That would be a disaster. There'd be no way for the rest of us to see them coming. It'd be a sort of camouflage.

Quickly they would discover the power of hiding in a crowd. Is that really what you want? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

conorhal wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, there'll be no shortage of 'this happens everywhere' replies no doubt.
    Well I'm off the Munich for Oktoberfest next week, a completely booze centered event and let me tell you, it's a highly enjoyable, good natured, well run week of fun. I've been there several times and never seen a hint of trouble. Can you imagine cramming 8 beer halls on one site with about 2 thousand people in each if them in the center of Dublin, then feeding everybody beer by the litre? There would be facking chaos and murder!

All hail our new German overlords! Who actually can organize a piss-up in a brewery!

They set up an oktoberfest tent along the IFSC every year, serve drink until 2 am on the weekends, by the liter too if you so desire. I've been the last 2 years, never seen the slightest hint of trouble, the only incident was some Russian lads got aggro with a mate because our bench backed onto theirs and my mate bumped his back off the guy's girlfriend :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I hate scum as much as the rest of us aned believe they should all be chemically castrated etc., but I think it's pretty naive to say "well I've only ever had trouble in Dublin, never abroad, therefore Dublin is in the grip of the scum and nobody ever gets hassled ever on mainland Europe". The reason for that it most likely (a) you've only been abroad in short jolts, and never lived anywhere for extended periods of time, and hence had to experience this very rare occurance. It's not as if you receive a box in the face every time you take a walk in Dublin city (b) when you're abroad, you're more likely to visit safer places, as a hostel / hotel are hardly going to send you off to some absolute kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

conorhal wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, there'll be no shortage of 'this happens everywhere' replies no doubt.
    Well I'm off the Munich for Oktoberfest next week, a completely booze centered event and let me tell you, it's a highly enjoyable, good natured, well run week of fun. I've been there several times and never seen a hint of trouble. Can you imagine cramming 8 beer halls on one site with about 2 thousand people in each if them in the center of Dublin, then feeding everybody beer by the litre? There would be facking chaos and murder!

All hail our new German overlords! Who actually can organize a piss-up in a brewery!

They have ex Serbian army doing security in the HB hall i have seen trouble there myself and its dealt with very quickly(and brutally):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Strolling through Raheny village last night and down the main street (about 100m from the Garda station), which can be rather dark, and a rock, about the size of the palm of my hand whizzes past me and smacks into the wall about 6ft away. I was just out of the gym so I was too tired to jump, I just looked at the rock and tried to see who threw it. Couple of teenagers hanging around in the distance before running away. No confrontation. No words. Nothing just lobbing a decent sized rock at me from about 30m. If it had hit me, I'd have probably needed an ambulance. It's not a bad area by a long shot. They're everywhere and these incidents seem to be becoming more prevalent. Unfortunately, it's not going to get better at any point in the immediate future. With a recession there is always an upswing in crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

GerM wrote: »
    Strolling through Raheny village last night and down the main street (about 100m from the Garda station), which can be rather dark, and a rock, about the size of the palm of my hand whizzes past me and smacks into the wall about 6ft away. I was just out of the gym so I was too tired to jump, I just looked at the rock and tried to see who threw it. Couple of teenagers hanging around in the distance before running away. No confrontation. No words. Nothing just lobbing a decent sized rock at me from about 30m. If it had hit me, I'd have probably needed an ambulance. It's not a bad area by a long shot. They're everywhere and these incidents seem to be becoming more prevalent. Unfortunately, it's not going to get better at any point in the immediate future. With a recession there is always an upswing in crime.

Something similar a few years back. A beer bottle thrown at me from a double decker bus (perhaps the culprit felt aggrieved about his deprived uprbinging-or whatever). Bus coming up behind me on Thomas Street so I wouldn't even have seen it. Thankfully it missed but I'm sure they all had a jolly good laugh with such shenanigans yet perhaps they were severely disappointed by not hospitalising me. :rolleyes:

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Something similar a few years back. A beer bottle thrown at me from a double decker bus (perhaps the culprit felt aggrieved about his deprived uprbinging-or whatever). Bus coming up behind me on Thomas Street so I wouldn't even have seen it. Thankfully it missed but I'm sure they all had a jolly good laugh with such shenanigans yet perhaps they were severely disappointed by not hospitalising me. :rolleyes:

I blame the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

to op, down in kerry we have a town called tralee where im positive evolution has gone wrong, the ratio must be 80% scum by now :D

was out sunday night and walked outside a bar and saw two idiots fighting in the middle of the road holding up traffic in both directions, i pointed out that these two individuals where idiots to a couple of friends when some fat scummie type turned around (a good 30 feet from the fight) and said to "shut up or il kill you those lads are my nephews" :rolleyes: i just walked away trying to understand how someone can be proud of their two nephews fighting in the middle of a busy road and doing nothing about it, saw a garda car flying past around 5 mins later, delighted i just walked away from the cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

A mugger should be jailed but chances are he won't be. Barbaric ideas maybe the only solution. Also do you think I am stupid enough to suggest murders, rapists or rogue traders should be in in stocks. They should be in jail but sadly those at the top bankers, builders etc are at the moment left alone whilst an old dear who has not paid a tv license is in jail.

We need the same culture as America where anybody who commits a crime will be dealt with by the law. If Enron happened here Kenneth Lay would have walked of scot free. As for the builders who sign over assets to their wives, we should be going after their wives and every asset handed over MUST be taken of them. They can't be allowed keep ill gotten gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

whats the point in jailing these cnuts when jail is nicer than where they currently reside, all jail does is make them think their tougher and gives them contacts to further their crappy lives

A mugger should be jailed but chances are he won't be. Barbaric ideas maybe the only solution. Also do you think I am stupid enough to suggest murders, rapists or rogue traders should be in in stocks. They should be in jail but sadly those at the top bankers, builders etc are at the moment left alone whilst an old dear who has not paid a tv license is in jail.

I certainly don't think you're stupid, but I just personally don't see why muggers should be put in stocks, but not other criminals.
    I guess you're saying that it's a more minor crime than those, which of course it is, and that the stocks wouldn't be enough for those other crimes. Fair enough.

But I don't think the stocks or other forms of public humiliation would be effective punishments as many people wouldn't feel embarrassed enough for it to work.
    I know that if I were a mugger and I were put in the stocks, I'd be more than willing to keep on mugging if that was all I'd get for it.
    We need the same culture as America where anybody who commits a crime will be dealt with by the law. If Enron happened here Kenneth Lay would have walked of scot free. As for the builders who sign over assets to their wives, we should be going after their wives and every asset handed over MUST be taken of them. They can't be allowed keep ill gotten gains.

I agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

tbh its going to get worst in 2012,a lot of senior gardai are set to retire for their pensions for tax reasons,leaving the force stretched again.

I don't think they always end up as a scumbag all sudden,if you take a look at someone in prison for something minor,they could fall in with the drug crowd or made to do runs for them to avoid a slash.

Our prisons are filling up,with many doing "life" sentences.

Look at siberian russian prison,they really do hard times-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

STORY BUD!

Advertisement