Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my Vindaloo

Options
  • 20-09-2011 8:59pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭

Made the following vindaloo tonight. It wasn't spectacular. The flavour was lovely, but just chicken, onion and garlic. What else can I put in it?

Ingredients:
    1/4 kg chicken
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 tea spn ginger paste
    1/2 tea spn garlic paste
    1/2 tea spn mustard seeds
    1/2 tea spn coriander seeds
    1/2 tea spn cumin seeds
    1/4 tea spn fenugreek seeds
    1 tea spn vinegar (I used distilled vinegar)
    1 tea spn chili powder or 4-5 red chilies (increase the amount of chilies if required)
    3-4 strands coriander leaves
    Oil
    Salt
    Method:
    Grind together ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, red chilies, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds to a smooth paste. Apply this paste and salt to the chicken.
    Heat oil and fry onions on a low heat till the onions turn dark brown and crispy(It may help to deep fry the onions in oil to speed up the process). Take them out on a clean kitchen towel to remove all the extra oil. Grind to a paste along with vinegar. This is the dark paste that gives the color to the dish, I removed the onions a tad bit early, so they were not crisp and the color of the dish remained light. Add this to the chicken(Add a little water if gravy is too thick). Leave it aside for 30mins.
    Heat a little oil in thick bottomed pan. Add the marinated chicken with all the marinade. Cook till chicken is tender and gravy is thickened. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you want to 'pimp' it I would go for a good squeeze of lemon juice & a few tablespoons of red wine vinegar.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thanks HB, but I was thinking more of veg. Would green beans and carrots ruin it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Whatever takes your fancy. Experiment! If you think that you'd like the texture/flavour - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Few drops of Da Bomb Ground Zero sauce and youre in heat heaven.. Check TKMaxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd use Ghee instead of oil.

I'd also throw in fresh chillis near the end so they just soften.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement