Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission for new stadium

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

From The Guardian in the last few minutes.
    Tottenham Hotspur given planning permission for new stadium
    • New stadium to be located next to White Hart Lane
    • Spurs continuing legal challenge for Olympic Stadium

Tottenham Hotspur have been given planning permission to build a new stadium next to their current base at White Hart Lane.

The Premier League club say they can continue discussions with local authorities and the London mayor in an effort to secure funding for the potential move to the 20-acre site immediately north of their current ground.

Tottenham have also not given up hope of becoming the long-term tenant of the Olympic Stadium in east London after the London 2012 Olympic Games and have mounted a legal challenge against West Ham United's winning bid.

White Hart Lane has been Tottenham's home ground since 1899 but a capacity of just over 36,000 restricts income from ticket sales and matchday revenue compared to that enjoyed by many of the club's Premier League rivals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

richardjjd wrote: »
    From The Guardian in the last few minutes.

fingers crossed we get the go ahead to redevelop at whl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

How many fans would we expect week in week out in the premiership in a new stadium? 50 thousand? 45?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'd say easily whatever Arsenal are getting, so 60k or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

West Ham olympic stadium deal collapses. Not sure how this will affect spurs now? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15251893

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

mushykeogh wrote: »
    West Ham olympic stadium deal collapses. Not sure how this will affect spurs now? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15251893

Yeah, just seen this. I reckon we will push for olympic stadium again tbh. Levy will do whatever is the cheapest option and even with grants etc I think redeveloping WHL will be a lot more expensive. Will also depend on the criteria the stadium owners decide to put the ground up for tender with, they may well change the terms that were on offer last time after this falling through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Not good news. Would have been better if the Olympic Stadium was put to bed. There will be a running track around it, which would ruin the atmosphere. Stay at the Lane, and do it up to 50k or build the new stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

FFS...here we go again. Is there no end to this saga?

RichMc70 wrote: »
    FFS...here we go again. Is there no end to this saga?

Nope, not by the looks of it, Levy loving it I'd imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

I was originally against the Olympic stadium idea but now hopefully we can get it.

The transport links alone make it worth it.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Nope, not by the looks of it, Levy loving it I'd imagine..

Excerpt from Sky News report:
    There has been an anonymous complaint to the European Commission, claiming that the £40m being provided by Newham Council to West Ham represented "state aid". http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16086655

An anonymous complainant........I wonder who that could have been :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Levy looking at increasing stadium capacity from 56,000 to over 60,000 but only as much as he can without having to re-apply for planning permission.
    A good sign it means they are committed to Northumberland park and that it looks like our season ticket holder waiting list is still growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Would be interesting to eventually find out how many on the waiting list will turn into Season ticket holders once the stadium is built .... I'm on the waiting list but depending on price .. there is no guarantee that i will pay to be a season ticket holder

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to eventually find out how many on the waiting list will turn into Season ticket holders once the stadium is built .... I'm on the waiting list but depending on price .. there is no guarantee that i will pay to be a season ticket holder

I was offered one by the club in the summer but said no as I couldn't afford it.. probably plenty more in similar situations id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Robxxx7 wrote: »

I was offered one by the club in the summer but said no as I couldn't afford it.. probably plenty more in similar situations id say.
    There's also the fact that the ST's that turn up each summer are restricted viewing.
    They need to look at pricing and maybe add an extra youth/child to each family ticket keeping the price the same after all it's them that will be the future season ticket holders get them hooked now!

Man arrested over Spurs Olympic bid

A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of fraud after allegations that Tottenham Hotspur FC spied on Olympics officials during its stadium bid.

News of the arrest came as Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) chairwoman Baroness Ford claimed the north London football club had all 14 members of her board monitored by private investigators.

The suspect was being questioned as officers conducted a string of searches in Sussex, Sutton, south west London, and Westminster.
    Spurs denied putting officials under surveillance.

Detectives, who have been investigating the claims since August 2011 "following allegations by West Ham and the Olympic Park Legacy Company in respect of the unlawful obtaining of information", said the suspect was arrested at an address in Sussex.

He was taken into custody at a Sussex police station "where he remains", said a spokesman.

"As part of their inquiries, detectives have conducted searches at both a residential and business premises in Sussex, a second private address in Sutton, and a further business address in Westminster," police said.

Baroness Ford, chairman of the OPLC, which is in charge of securing a viable economic future for the home of the London 2012 Games, told the London Assembly earlier: "My board were put under surveillance by Tottenham Hotspur and the chairman of Tottenham Hotspur felt confident enough to say in the Sunday Times several months ago that all 14 members of my board were put under surveillance. The Metropolitan police are now conducting an investigation into that surveillance.

"There has been all kinds of behaviour here that I could not have anticipated which, believe me, has not been pleasant in the last 12 months."

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club rejected Baroness Ford's comments and issued a statement through its lawyers, which read: "The club did not undertake, instruct or engage any party to conduct surveillance on any member of the OPLC Committee and we consider the making of this baseless accusation to be wholly inappropriate and irresponsible. We totally reject the accusation in the strongest possible terms."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24007641-man-arrested-over-spurs-olympic-bid.do

Levy is some man..

Advertisement