Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilies - time for an update?

Options
2»

Comments

Get rid of Smileys altogether!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

:o = Just farted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just get rid of ol' rolleyes as most people seem to have no real idea what its for and how to use it for its intended effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RopeDrink wrote: »
    False. The last request for another smiley was 4 years ago in May of 2008. Smileys ultimately declared 8-bit Jihad on the admins for trying to replace Rolleyes with a Cyclops, seen in this photo. Which concurrently was a seperate request to replace the Rolleyes with a new smiley that was less offensive to easily offended people.

False. I'm pretty certain we had a thread couple'o'months back where this request was re-made. Even made about 5-6 smilies in Photoshop just to make the point that they aren't hard to make and we could do with an update.

Look to the right >>> When posting your reply.

You've enough slots for at least 14 more same-size smilies - Not that we'd need that many, just there's plenty of room, we need a sad face... No, really, we need one - FROWNING at certain people or comments is unacceptable, I want to turn that smile upside down.

How is this a sad face? :( It looks angry more than anything :pac:
    Correction: fruitful request. About a month prior I think Pac came bac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

mike65 wrote: »
    Just get rid of ol' rolleyes as most people seem to have no real idea what its for and how to use it for its intended effect.

What is it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pretty much just making your post look retarded.

:rolleyes:

^like that?
    What are the alternative, incorrect usages? *fascinated*
    (Not being sarcastic, btw.)

Personally I've never understood that theres apparently a set of rules on how to use a digitized facial expression? I mean, people can pretty much understand what kind of facial expression they are putting on, all by themselves, without figuring out if they are using their face the wrong way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

FTGFOP wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

^like that?
    What are the alternative, incorrect usages? *fascinated*
    (Not being sarcastic, btw.)

Some people use it as if they're looking up at the comment that they're quoting/replying to.

Ah right. I'll probably notice it more now that it's been pointed out.

:pac: <I've heard people say that one's used wrongly too. I take it as laughing but is it about eating stuff? A nomnom emoticon, or nomnomicon, if you will?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

A smiley with a mod cap on, please.

Could it happen? :eek:

Some people use it as if they're looking up at the comment that they're quoting/replying to.
    ......when?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Overheal wrote: »
    ......when?

n00bz in AH and C&H, for starters. I'm sure it happens elsewhere too. I don't have the time to read every forum, you know! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If we get animated smilies, this place will look like an MSN chat room in the early nineties... And that's not a good thing!

It would go with the faded denim theme. Why is the 'white' skin mostly blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

And they're all the worse off for it!

10cq4v6.gif

If someone could edit that so the girl from "The Ring" jumped out of it screaming at the end, then I might be persuaded. >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

5.gif

4.gif

These just for AH.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

hondasam wrote: »
    5.gif

4.gif

These just for AH.

These make me want to punch EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD.

Properly, is this :pac: the emoticon for nomnomnom and not laughing?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Tell you all what,

Boards.ie will be getting a brand new UI within 18-24 months. I will see to it that we have new smilies included in that, ok? Until then, you have to appreciate that in the world of "things we need to fix on Boards.ie," smilies do not exist.

I remember I had a custom smiley that Cloud programmed in for me (11 or 12ish years ago), I wonder where it ever went. But I'm gonna take this one and use it for just me, ok?
    176285.gif176285.gif176285.gif176285.gif176285.gif176285.gif176285.gif

Demanding smilies begets a leak about a new website facelift?

172.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dav wrote: »
    Tell you all what,

Boards.ie will be getting a brand new UI within 18-24 months. I will see to it that we have new smilies included in that, ok?
    I dislike the new UI already..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I hated the new UI before it came out

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

cute-heo-smiley-045.gif

This one is necessary. When would this smiley not be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

myself69 wrote: »
    boards.ie should get rid of this fecker ---> :rolleyes:

Noone likes having someone respond to a post with that, but really it's one of the most evocative smilies out there. It really does say "your post made me think you are a pleb".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rolleyes needs to die in a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The New UI project shouldn't be a surprise, we'vbe been wanting to do it for years :) Conor and Ross have been very busy bees making sure the underlying technology of the site is stable enough to support it.

But the project isn't even in the planning stages yet, so it's not worth getting into a discussion about it yet. It's unlikely to be finished before 2013 either, so *Jedi hand wave* you don't need to worry about it for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

can we have a ragequit smilie where if you post it a bot will automagically siteban you?

Advertisement