Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners for Marathon

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:47pm

Hi folks. I'm looking for some suggestions on what type of footwear might be appropriate for racing the marathon next month. I have a pair of Kayano 17s which I don't like to run in and have started to wear casually. I'm currently running in a pair of Nike Pegasus but they are showing wear and tear and will be fit for the bin pretty soon.

So, for racing the marathon, should I buy a pair of racing flats or something a little lighter than a trainer that I can break in between now and Oct 31?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hmm, what time are you targeting for the marathon. The reason I ask is because racing flats are mainly used by people at the faster end of the spectrum. If you looking for any time over 3:15 or so I don't know if I would bother with flats. Also it wouldn't be a good idea to have the marathon as the first race you use them in because they might not give you the support you need and are used too. I think the Pegasus are a great marathon shoe, any reason you don't want to go with another pair of those?? There light, comfy and have loads of support.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to go under 3.00h and should be pretty close to it going by my training and half marathon time.

My sister has done a 3.01 marathon and she said to get something lighter than the Pegasus. Something in between a racing flat and a trainer is what she said. When I went into the shop, I really didn't have a clue what I was looking for and bailed, so I said I would do some research before I go back.

I plan on doing the Cork-Cobh and maybe one more shorter race before the marathon so there is no reason why I couldn't break the new pair in before the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Maybe try on a pair of Saucony Kinvara. These are minimal footwear designed for racing. I am not sure if they are really suitable for marathons due to the limited cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

A month away from the marathon is a bit late to be experimenting. If you have a brand/size you are happy with and have tried out on a long run you'd be as well to get the same again. If not ... then you should try to get an gait analysis done - a good running shop - and see what they say. With no idea of you stride recommendations off the web are little value. If you do need new shoes do it soon - very soon - as you should get at least one long run on these shoes - more if you are changing brand/model - before a marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you've never worn anything lighter than pegasus before it wouldn't be advisable to give them their racing debut in a marathon. It usually takes progression to be able to run longer distances in the lightweight shoes, if you're looking at sub 3 I'd stick to the pegasus and phase in the lighter shoes for next time. By wearing the lightweight shoes next month you could put the sub 3 at risk if you're not able to continue on in them after 10 miles or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I had the same scenario 2 months ago OP. I found out i couldnt do the marathon in racing flats (not enough support when i'm tiring) and wanted something faster than my 2160's for a sub 3 attempt so i went for Asics DS trainers (current one is the 16), which are halfway between the 2. They seem fine for the purpose (based on the long MP runs) but i guess i'll find out for sure this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies. There's some very sound advice here.

I think I had the Asics DS trainers in my hands while I was in the shop the last day and they seem to be a decent halfway house between trainers and racers. I might get a pair and see how I feel in them over a slightly longer run or a race.

If they don't suit, I'll just stick with another pair of Pegasus and use them for the marathon.

Advertisement