Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route Dundrum to Blanch-avoiding toll

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

I drive to and from work daily a round trip of approx 30miles. Im spending an absolute fortune on the M50 in tolls. Id like to keep the morning journey the M50 which is the quickest and pay toll, but need an alternative for coming home. Going through town is a nightmare and adds another 30mins at least onto the journey.

Can anyone suggest a route to Blanch if i came off the M50 at the N4 and avoided the toll that way? Would that be better or worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Into lucan village off the N4 over the liffey in lucan and you've a choice from there depending on where you're goin

google maps without tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Bigus wrote: »
    Into lucan village off the N4 over the liffey in lucan and you've a choice from there depending on where you're goin

google maps without tolls

As above... cross liffey at Lucan village ...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Or off at The Red Cow, through Ballyfermot, down into Chapelizod and up Knockmaroon Hill and in through Castleknock.

You're gonna run into traffic either way though..just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

anniehoo wrote: »

Can anyone suggest a route to Blanch if i came off the M50 at the N4 and avoided the toll that way? Would that be better or worse?

I take the lucan route in the Morning and toll in the evening, the N3 upgrade has shave off 10-15 minutes getting home.

Although you may need to be hitting Lucan early to avoid its traffic and the railways crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How long does it normally take you and at what time can you travel. Town isn't that bad if you leave early or late. Its shorter than driving around the world on the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

bear in mind the roadworks that are going to start shortly in the Phoenix park and will take about 4 months so traffic around the area will be badly affected. So depending on what area you approach from this could have a knock on effect

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its best to weigh up the cost of travelling (in traffic) the additional miles to circumvent the toll against the 2 Euro it costs to go through it. I would gather the cost is very similar. (idling in traffic eats petrol)

If money is a big deal in terms of travel. You may have to consider ditching the car and getting public transport instead. No road tax, no insurance, no petrol and no tolls.

Weigh up the options.

From my experience its actually a good bit shorter to go through town, and much the same time. Thats off peak. In general I'd avoid peak times, so I don't know how it compares then.

But you'll make a bigger saving in time and fuel costs by altering when you do the journey, leave earlier, or later, rather than changing the route. For me its the difference between 40~50 mins and 70~90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Was going to try coming off the N4 and through Lucan this evening, but the tailback to the N4 was nearly halfway back to the N7 :o:p so i continued on!

Honestly going through town isnt any quicker ive tried it many many times over the years. I am flexible to a point with the time i can leave for work, but all the car parking spots are gone by 9am. I cant win :D Public transport is becoming more and more attractive by the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

anniehoo wrote: »
    Was going to try coming off the N4 and through Lucan this evening, but the tailback to the N4 was nearly halfway back to the N7 :o:p so i continued on!

Honestly going through town isnt any quicker ive tried it many many times over the years. I am flexible to a point with the time i can leave for work, but all the car parking spots are gone by 9am. I cant win :D Public transport is becoming more and more attractive by the day...

You'll get traffic at Clonsilla railway,at Lucan over the Liffey,up the hill THEN backwards off the M50,at Woodies turn over the bridge,Lucan off the bridge,Clonee/Littlepace or CLonsilla railway!!!

All those spots adds time delay of minimum 20-30 minutes that adds petrol cost !
    Been there,as you wanted, but i realised that i prefer to spend those 30-ish minutes way sitting home and playing in the garden!

• Advertisement

You'd probably do it in 40 mins regardless of traffic or time of day, on an electric bicycle. Just a thought.

The problem is getting on/off the M50 and driving to it, takes forever in traffic. And once your stuck you've no options. Going through town at least you have some options.

This is a similar journey.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74529834#post74529834

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

i do the same journey,usually do the non toll part in the morning and toll in the evening..i leave from clonee, down chapelizod, up into crumlin / rathgar / miltown and in that way, usually takes about 35 mins in mornng, ( leave early )

toll always quickest in the eve

Leaving early is the big time saver. Even if means being too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

If you take either the Chapelizod route you'll do 8 miles more to Blanch village than if you take the M50. The route via Lucan is even a bit longer. You'll save the toll but you could end up spending more in petrol depending on the traffic.
    You can easily use 1 litre of petrol more than driving in the M50, or even more if traffic is heavy. 1 litre = €1.50 or so. M50 = €2. It's not a great save.
    I do avoid the toll on my way to work by leaving around 7 or so from Blanch and going to the N4 and M50 via Chapelizod, as it's handier for me than Lucan. Traffic is light at that time. I go through the toll on my way back.
    Be aware of works on the Phoenix Park. They started today and will last for 12 weeks. They might make traffic heavier on the Chapelizod route.

Advertisement