Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your barrels!!!

Options
  • 20-09-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Be safe and check your barrels.

BTW, the lad pulling the trigger is unharmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Shooter was shooting a 20 bore and using reloads (US).
    I doubt if it was an obstruction as the chamber blew - maybe a possible 20 - 28 chamber obstruction ? ..... not a 12 - 20 barrel type obstruction . Looks to me as though there was severe over-pressure involved to cause this type of damage to what seems to be a fairly newish gun (Miroku). High powered rifle propellent?

Be safe and check your barrels.

mz1c.jpg
    mz3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Any idea how the shooter fared? That is some serious amount of destruction :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Nobody hurt I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

Nobody hurt I hope!

crikey:eek::eek::eek: thanks be god he wasnt killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

FCUK! was he hurt?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1 to that.

Thats alot of damage. How did the shooter fare?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The lad pulling the trigger is unharmed.

But he has a bad case of " ringing ear".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What an amazing set of pics and and even more amazing escape from injury. Where did this set of pics come from?

It's possible that it might have been a case of using the wrong propellant - IF it is a reloading issue - but please be advised that 'high-power rifles' generally use a much slower burning rate powder than that used for shotgun reloading - many pistol powders are also used for shotgun reloading, too.

It does not take away the fact that a stupendous incident has taken place, and that somebody, somewhere, is to blame for it. No doubt the lawyers are already on the case!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That looks more like an explosion than an actual obstruction blow out.
    Just going by the pics it was pretty close or actually in the upper chamber of the OU barrel.So got to ask was it a obstruction in the barrel,or an actual chamber weakness?If it was a chamber weakness,it kind of brings up the whole thing of prooving barrels and the revelance.If it was a reload,possibly the wrong powder or a over load??
    Whoever the poor sod was who pulled the trigger ,he is lucky to be still with us!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Although Japan is obviously not in the EU, the firearms made by SKB/Miroku for various front manufacturers like Browning, Winchester [before they went bust] and Weatherby and so on ARE proofed in Japan, in accordance with their laws regarding firearms production and sales to the public. My Browning Model 1878 High-wall actioned 22-250 has liberal proof marks - all happily concealed under the wood, but there nonetheless. That was made by SKB.

I have seen that a 28gauge cartridge in a 20gauge shotgun might cause this to happen. Let's see what the OP has discovered about it - whinemeal, I've contacted a few of my pals over there to see if they can throw any light on it.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I had a patient who was badly injured when his pistol blew up. ( not in Ireland)

Apparently there was no powder in the reload and the first bullet lodged in the barrel. He re cocked and fired the next round.

The pistol exploded and the shrapnel cut through a large nerve in his thigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

saw something similar happen to a fella once and he could never cure himself of trigger cringe from that day on.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

tac foley wrote: »
    Let's see what the OP has discovered about it -
    \tac

I received the photos from a friend in Montana but he indicated that the incident occurred somewhere in the midwest.
    Correct on the propellent, it should read high powered propellent.
    No further info so far.

I do not believe the lawyers have grounds as the incident involved reloads, but it will not stop them from trying though, :rolleyes: .

Was there pictures or a video to go with this?
    Or are they the pictures in the other post?

In the USA the lawyers will run away from this - reloading anything is an uncontrollable element of the sport that relies entirely on the care and attention of the person actually doing it. It would be like suing a paint company because you made a sloppy job of decorating a dining room with their product.

The plaintiff will NEVER win in a case like this, if indeed it ever got taken on in the fust place.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    No doubt the lawyers are already on the case!
    tac
    ?????

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    That looks more like an explosion than an actual obstruction blow out.
    Just going by the pics it was pretty close or actually in the upper chamber of the OU barrel.So got to ask was it a obstruction in the barrel,or an actual chamber weakness?If it was a chamber weakness,it kind of brings up the whole thing of prooving barrels and the revelance.If it was a reload,possibly the wrong powder or a over load??
    Whoever the poor sod was who pulled the trigger ,he is lucky to be still with us!!

Griz,
    I am guessing this is what took place, it is at least one possible scenario.
    A 28 gauge cartridge loaded first and a twenty ga. loaded behind it, the 20 will seat in the chamber allowing the gun to close. It will be a tight fit as the 28 rim will stick as it enters the forcing cone. When the hammer hits the primer all hell breaks loose as the ejecta (the projectile(s), wad, shot cup, propellant gases, etc.) have no where to go, ergo, Ka-BOOM.

It could be a popellent (bullseye for example) mistakenly or improperly loaded.

Be careful out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Looking at the damage to that gun it must have been multiples of the normal operating pressure it took, i have seen shotguns with ruptured barrels or guns that have blow their actions open, but that gun has completely detonated.

?????

On behalf of the manufacturers, that is- getting their 'Definitely not US!' claim in fust.

tac

• Advertisement

Came across a good cutaway of a 12-20 courtesy of the W Evans Gun Co.

46904775461b7b50668db.jpg

Very Large Photo:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7473/4690477546a047cac683o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Advertisement