Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanics Club Middle Street

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anyone tell me what this place is about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Officially called the Mechanics Institute. Private club in Middle St, next to the old pro-cathedral building. Membership is by invitation and open to men only, AFAIK. Mostly fairly old men, at this stage. Women can go in there if invited to specific occasions (I've been in a few times). Fairly low profile: Mr justMary has been in Galway nearly 20 years and didn't even realise it existed 'til recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lockyirl

Didnt know a members club existed in galway.
    What it like inside, bar etc in it?

Is there any other member clubs in galway?

Bar on the middle floor, I think offices downstairs. Don't know about the top floor, I've heard rumours of pool tables, but female guests are not allowed up there.

Beer prices no cheaper than pubs in town, pints not as nice (not enough pours, probably) and less craic, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Ive been inside their hallowed doors a few times. This is an accurate account of last nights meeting

oh and the top floor has 2 snooker tables (not pool) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

lockyirl wrote: »

Is there any other member clubs in galway?

There's the County Club, at the side of the River next to the car park beside the Cathedral.

And I suppose you could include the Masonic lodge as well. That's on Prospect Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lockyirl

What is the story with those two clubs? Just old people's private bars or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

lockyirl wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this place is about?

Contact Mike i'm sure he can fill you in on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

secret handshakes occur inside, before a game of snooker or cards

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

barone wrote: »
    secret handshakes occur inside, before a game of snooker or cards

but yes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

there is 2 full size snooker tables on the top floor.

Entry is not by invitation, You need a member to nominate you and then the council takes a vote on it.

it is true that women where not let in but times have changed. A womens toilet was added at the start of the last decade which for a place thats nearly 170 years old is a massive step.

The membership is aging so in recent times there has been a move to open it up some more by holding functions for different groups. The galway choral society had a few functions there iirc.

the pints are cheaper then the pubs.

its a social place for guys to have a drink, play cards/snooker, watch telly etc.

and sadly there is no secret handshake!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I know a group for young mothers rented a room on the ground floor as their meeting room a few years ago. Not sure if they are still there.
    Dr Kieran Byrne gave a talk on the history of the place to the historical society a few years ago so most likely will be published in the next year or so

skelliser wrote: »
    the pints are cheaper then the pubs.

Wasn't my experience. Maybe it depends on your accent, or the pubs you're used to drinking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Used to be a member there sometime ago, haven't seen the inside of the place in about 5 years.

Was introduced as my grandfather was a member and went from there, mainly joined for the snooker table access on the top floor. All you had to do was cover the cost of the lights on the tables, run by machines that took 20 cent coins so was great for passing some time in the evenings. Think my snooker cue is still up there behind one of those massive seats they had for people spectating...

A small tv room and fairly well stocked bar (but nothing too crazy) and a couple of card tables along with a dart board on the first floor. Used to go up there at lunch times during secondary school, or after work when I got a bit older.

Would quite like to see the inside of the place now after so many years...but I'm on the other side of the world...and don't know any current members now, so thats a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It's not changed. Still big leather benches along the side of the snooker hall, full of old cues behind them. Beautiful quality tables. It's quiet, dark, a bit dusty, and a lovely place to play some snooker. Bring up some cans and a mate, and you're laughing.
    Those machines that take twenty cent coins, still take the old Irish coins, so if you've any five pence coins left over ( I think it was fives, was it?) you're laughing.

Advertisement